What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

If nothing else, Sonic RayBans. I'm not sure it can get any cooler than that. :thumbup1:

I'm a big dissenter as far as that decision goes. I cringed a bit when that little development was revealed. What's the deal, do they have some kind of merchandising deal with Ray-Ban? I'm hoping this is only a temporary thing. Dispensing with the sonic screwdriver is stepping way over the line by messing with that piece of tradition. What's next, trading in the Tardis for a Mini Cooper? :confused1:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Finally watched it.
Two thumbs up, way up.

Even if the continual double crossing started sounding a bit contrived.
Almost reminiscent of the Rowan Atkinson Doctor Comic Relief sketch.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm a big dissenter as far as that decision goes. I cringed a bit when that little development was revealed. What's the deal, do they have some kind of merchandising deal with Ray-Ban? I'm hoping this is only a temporary thing. Dispensing with the sonic screwdriver is stepping way over the line by messing with that piece of tradition. What's next, trading in the Tardis for a Mini Cooper? :confused1:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown
Not likely. BBC doesn't do that. Notice that there was no Ray Ban logo visible on the lens (unless my TV wasn't HD enough to pick it out).

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm pretty sure the sonic shades were something of a plot device, and a fairly fun one. I got a kick out of it, but once is enough.

Not likely. BBC doesn't do that. Notice that there was no Ray Ban logo visible on the lens (unless my TV wasn't HD enough to pick it out).

See how cynical I've become? If there's a buck to be made almost any show will look for a merchandising deal. :blush:

I kept looking at his glasses to see if the Doctor wore classic/vintage Ray-Bans or the newer ones. The newer ones have the Ray-Ban logo on the bow where it attaches to the hinge and the front of the frame. The vintage Ray-Bans have have the same metal "diamond" like on the front of the frame where the bow attaches to the hinge. The Ray-Ban logo wasn't there but I couldn't confirm that matching metal "diamond" was there either. As far as I know, the only indicator on the lens of official Ray-Bans (at least the Wayfarers) is a laser-etched "BL" near the edge (for Baush and Lomb) which you could only see if you looked very closely in person.

Last edited:
I liked it. It was good and dark, and Michelle Gomez was really good. In a Twitter Q&A, in answer to the question of how she kept a straight face when Clara took her tumble, she said she didn't. A quick cut preserved the scene. The question is, though, what impact that suggestion he planted with Davros has on every action the Daleks ever took thereafter.

For the third straight week, busy on Saturday night.
At least this time it's with Rachmaninoff and Rimsky-Korsakov

Thanks to the inventor of the DVR. I am in your debt.

I'm way behind all of you, but the Christmas Special from Series 8 recently showed up on Netflix. I thought that is how the rest of that series should have been.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
So far so good, this seasons writing is good and Capaldi has settled in as the Dr. They should lose the sun glasses but that's just me.
anyone know when Clara's curtain call is? Can't wait for the 2nd part of this weeks episode.

I totally agree that they need to get rid of the sunglasses gimmick. I fear they are trying to make it his "thing" and we'll be seeing him whipping them out and donning them for the rest of his tenure. It's a pretty lame, trendy, hipster replacement for the iconic screwdriver. It's a Doctor tradition I don't think they should "screw" with. (Bah dum bum...) Beside that, I really enjoyed the episode.

I think Clara is leaving with the Christmas episode.

I'm no fan of the sunglases gimmick,the sonic screwdriver is part of the series...hope they bring it back,maybe with more powers,but bring it back..

Great episode. This one has the same feel as Time Heist, with a ton of suspense and uncertainty. I think Clara finishes the season. Whether they write her out in episode 12, or bid farewell at Christmas remains to be seen.

Sadly (or luckily depending on preference), Clara is going at/by Christmas. She got some big part playing Queen Victoria for ITV.

Am I the only one here really liking this new thing for two part stories?

They both had good cliff-hangers at the end of the first episode. For me, this season has a different (good) vibe than last season, I'm really liking what they've done so far.

Sadly (or luckily depending on preference), Clara is going at/by Christmas. She got some big part playing Queen Victoria for ITV.

Loving it. Feels like the old days.

I vastly prefer the traditional/mandatory Sonic Screwdriver over sunglasses.

Whats next? Daleks in pink Tutu's?

Sontaran Jehovah's Witnesses going from door to door to spread the good word?

Somethings you just do not mess with!

The screwdriver had become the most overused prop in the past few years. Just look at the War Doctor's reaction to 10 and 11.
The old doctors could manage whole series without whipping it out.
Not sure about the glasses, but hope it reduces the reliance on the sonic to get him out of 99% of all known messes.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If nothing else, Sonic RayBans. I'm not sure it can get any cooler than that. :thumbup1:

I'm no fan of the sunglases gimmick,the sonic screwdriver is part of the series...hope they bring it back,maybe with more powers,but bring it back..

The screwdriver had become the most overused prop in the past few years. Just look at the War Doctor's reaction to 10 and 11.
The old doctors could manage whole series without whipping it out.
Not sure about the glasses, but hope it reduces the reliance on the sonic to get him out of 99% of all known messes.

Oh good golly, Miss Molly ... the sonic screwdriver is WAY over-used and over-powered. It's become the screwdriver-ex-machina the writers use whenever the Doctor has gotten himself into a jam five minutes before the episode is supposed to end. It's like that old South Park "underpants gnomes" joke ...

proxy.php

... only here it's
Phase One: Doctor in mortal peril
Phase Two: sonic screwdriver
Phase Three: Doctor wins!

Giving it more powers just makes the thing worse ... before long will it be able to blow up Daleks all by itself? I liked it in the good old days when it was ... a screwdriver ... that worked sonically. And that was it. No "point ... buzz ... space cancer cured" sort of nonsense. And you didn't need to trot it out for every single episode ... ooh, sonic screwdriver, boys and girls ... order yours today at www.bbc.com ...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Gee, Doc, I get the distinct impression that you are not particularly enamoured of the Sonic anything:001_rolle
How do you feel about Sonic the Hedgehog?

Top Bottom