What's new

Harris Lavender vs. EO-Scented Lavender Creams

Gentlemen --

I have an unused tub of Harris lavender. I know I'll receive many different opinions here but how would all of you lavender aficionados say the Harris compares to other EO-scented lavender creams, both in terms of shave quality & scent?

My tub of Harris was purchased within the last 2 months or so, so it's definitely not the "original formulation" (assuming there was an original formulation to begin with).

Thanks in advance. Let the opining begin! :tongue_sm

I believe Harris has always used the same formulation for the older scents. They use a new formulation for the newer scent: Marlborough.

I have the Harris Lavender and it's my favorite cream. The lather is superfluous. I haven't used it in a bit so I can't think of the scent right now. :blushing: It only takes me 2 passes for a very good shave and 3 passes for BBS but this stuff makes a guy wanna keep shaving. It's just that good. I've used AOS Lavender and I wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad but just not as good as Harris.

Shave Quality- The Harris Lavender performs well. It is dense and produces rich lather... I'm not a fan of the deep purple color- but that's really not a big deal.

Scent- Eh, not my favorite. I'm a EO-Lavender fan- so Castle Forbes, AOS, and Eshave are much better for me. Harris just doesn't smell like the lavender plant I have growing in my place... not by a long shot.

I'm a huge Lavender fan and I love that this is a non-EO cream because its scent, IMHO, is right up there with AOS and CF. The purple color is a bit much and it can dry your skin at times but overall I rather enjoy it.

Anyone know which Lavender cream actually smells like Lavender plants? Also which Lavender cream is the best one out there? Most floral, strong, and pleasant smell so one doesn't need to apply aftershave to keep the scent going.

Which Lavender cream is the best one out there? Most floral, strong, and pleasant smell so one doesn't need to apply aftershave to keep the scent going.

The first part of this question is largely subjective. 100 shavers will give you 100 different answers and reasons why their favorite is the best. You're really best off trying as many lavender creams as possible if you're a die hard fan (like myself). I personally have tried TOBS, DR Harris, SCS, Castle Forbes, and AOS. They all have varying qualities that make it difficult to choose "the best one out there".

As to the latter part of your question, you are unlikely to find any cream or soap that leaves such a heavy scent behind as not to require aftershave or EDT. In a way this is nice because the way your shaving cream smells is a personal experience. EDT and aftershave scents are for others to sniff but this makes things very modular. You can lather up with your favorite lavender cream and then choose from a myriad of EDTs.

-M

I recently got a tube of D.R. Harris lavender. I'm most disappointed in the scent. It's not floral or pleasant at all. The scent is quite musty. The lather and shave are not as good as Proraso. I'm sticking with good, old Proraso.

I recently got a tube of D.R. Harris lavender. I'm most disappointed...

+1 on the DR Harris disappointment. Though IMHO not because of the scent, but rather because of the shave--did not find it particularly comfortable.

Alright, in this case, and since you have had experience with these, which ones have the most natural, and pleasing floral scent?

Any cream with essential oils (Art of Shaving and Castle Forbes) is going to have a much stronger scent which is closer to the actual lavender. Value-wise AOS is excellent and it's very easy to lather. CF is quite pricey and a temperamental latherer. I'd say give them both a try. And while you're at it pick up some Oakmoss Lavendula from Saint Charles Shave.

-Michael

+1 on the DR Harris disappointment. Though IMHO not because of the scent, but rather because of the shave--did not find it particularly comfortable.

Any cream with essential oils (Art of Shaving and Castle Forbes) is going to have a much stronger scent which is closer to the actual lavender. Value-wise AOS is excellent and it's very easy to lather. CF is quite pricey and a temperamental latherer. I'd say give them both a try. And while you're at it pick up some Oakmoss Lavendula from Saint Charles Shave.

-Michael

+1- AOS, CF, and now Eshave are all pretty "true" lavenders (I have a lavender plant growing in my house- so I can say that with a fair amount of confidence)

+1- AOS, CF, and now Eshave are all pretty "true" lavenders (I have a lavender plant growing in my house- so I can say that with a fair amount of confidence)

I meant to hit the eShave store when I was in NYC but weather was crappy and didn't have enough time. Good to hear it's decent though, I'll keep my eyes peeled in the B/S/T for someone who doesn't care for it. :thumbsup:

I've heard of good reviews for D.R. Harris Lavender and now this! Wow. Good to know. I trust your judgment on this. The scent I would want would have to be a very nice floral scent of lavender or something. So what do you guys think is a really good one out there that gives a comfortable shave? I have never really tried any high end stuff, but eventually in the future I will, so it would be good to know.

I would first recommend Art Of Shaving, then progress to Castle Forbes. AOS will run you ~$20 per jar. If you're looking to start all the way at the bottom I believe Tom's of Maine and Kiss My Face both make highly regarded "budget" lavender.

Top Bottom