What's new

30-Day Kettlebell Swing Challenge

The swings continue and I'm still enjoying it. I've also started a new stretching/joint mobility routine which I do first thing every morning and I've noticed it has really been helping my neck and back pain. I feel much more loose and that carries throughout the day. Hopefully I'm not the only one here who's getting his swing on; only 6600 to go!

I need to get back into shape. Where did you get your kettlebells? Are you doing one-arm or two-arm swings and how much do they weigh?

I've never really used kettlebells before, just regular dumbbells.

Sorry, James, I noticed I never answered your question. As dabrock noted, you can get kettlebells at sporting goods stores or even Wal Mart or Target, although I would not recommend that. There are also a bunch of different online sellers where you can get them. For standard iron kettlebells, the ones from Rogue Fitness are hard to beat. They're well made and they are some of the least costly ones on the market. The two I have are from Onnit but the next one I get will likely be from Rogue. I'm still deciding on whether or not to get a competition kettlebell or just stick with the standard. Right now I'm leaning towards just going with the standard, but who knows. I may end up picking up a comp. bell just for kicks.

As far as weights, I have a 25 lb (12Kg) and a 1 pood (16Kg or about 36 lbs). I use the 1 pood bell for swings and clean and presses and the 25 lb bell for cardio routines. There are a couple of different circuits I found online (if you're interested, Google "Funk Roberts kettlebell routine") and they are great for working cardio and building functional strength. I've found, though, that I'm quickly outgrowing my 1 pood bell for swings so I need to get a heavier one. I do both single arm and double swings.

Very interesting. Has anyone used Rogue KBs? I am looking for one with wider a handle to do two handed swings. The ones I have crush my hands.

Great to see that you're keeping up with it Patrick. Keep on trucking!

Lately I've just getting a good sweat doing jump rope, kettle bell two handed swings, windmills, high pulls and TGUs, then onto heavy bag rounds and a 2 mile run to cool down.

Well, 4500 down, 4500 to go. I have a heavier bell coming tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. For anyone else who may be playing along, we're halfway done!

Oh, cool! I am in - I have a kettle bell but have never heard of 'swings'. I just use mine to do squats and arm press. Going to check this out now :)

This is great, well done so far Patrick. I've just started back at kettlebell training after a lay off due to family, work and laziness. I'm currently at about 200 swings per weekday, either in the morning before work or in the evening. Hopefully I can stick at this for a while because it's a great workout that has yielded results for me in the past.

There's more than a few pounds I need to lose. I have a Dragon Door 35 lb bell, and I found a book on Amazon called The 21 Day Kettlebell Swing Challenge. Different workouts per day, 3 fitness levels.
Seeing some of the advice in this thread, if I ever need another bell, I wouldn't buy Dragon Door. They are about twice as expensive as similar quality bells.

[QUOTE/]Seeing some of the advice in this thread, if I ever need another bell, I wouldn't buy Dragon Door. They are about twice as expensive as similar quality bells.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think you end up paying for the name more than the quality of the bell.

It's gotten easier. I started off with a 25 lb bell and now when I use that one it feels like i'm not doing any work. I definitely feel like my hamstrings and glutes have gotten stronger.

I discovered Kettlebells about two weeks ago and got a kettleblock, so I could start slow and build up. I have been doing Tabata series of double arm swings and TGUs and I have noticed an increase in strength.
I will begin with clean and jerks as soon as my wristguards arrive :)

Well, that's it. 30 days, 9000 swings. It's been fun, but I'm looking forward to the break tomorrow. Good luck to anyone else who is doing it.

Congratulations.

I've been waking up and doing swings in the morning just to start my day and get a sweat. Been thinking of making a work out/ stop being lazy thread. You are an inspiration.

I'm thinking of kicking this off again on Friday and going 32 days, just for fun. Anyone else in?

I might join. I have a couple of fifty pound kettlebells. I gotta break down the 300 reps into one arm or two arm sets.

That's what I did last time. I didn't ever do more than 50 swings at a time and alternated between two-arm and single-arm swings. I usually did anywhere between 6 and 12 sets throughout the day and it wasn't too bad.

Top Bottom