What's new

I'm going......Shapton!

Out of all the Acquisition Disorders, HAD has been my biggest disorder, and a disorder it is! Natural stones first, but I've been bitten by the Shapton Ceramic on Glass bug and the GDLP Shapton lapping plate. I have not yet had the time to really sit down and put the ceramic plates to task, but I'm almost afraid that when I do, I may have the urge to shelve my natural stones.... Only time will tell, and I'll report my experiences back here.

Chris L

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think I love my stones more than I love my steel.

In fact, I believe I've just managed to locate an example of my "holy grail" of sharpening stones (no, it's not a megabuck natural stone). I don't want to jinx it until I have my grubby little hands on it.

ouch

What the heck. Naniwa cho-cera 10K.

After that, you can stick a fork in me.

Here is a link to a knife forum discussion:

I think it is the one onr the right with the yellow gold scarf. http://knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/816804/

Wow, that 10,000 grit stone they talk about on that link is like $350? I wonder how it compares to a Woodcraft Chinese 12K stone which sells for $35 and would last 3 lifetimes as far as what it does for razor edges? I think someone should buy this stone (not me) and do a side by side comparison with a $35 Chinese 12K.

Chris L

Buy hey, who am I to talk, I'll probably be in for $1,000 after I'm finally done collecting all the Shapton Ceramic on glass stones from 500 grit on up to 30,000 along with the Shapton lapping plate, so I better shut up!:blushing::wink:

Chris L

ouch

Yes, it's $300, but I have no intention of using it for razors.

SQOD: is there any site like this, which discusses knife honing? Tried to hone my knife on the DMT D8E and seriously dulled it :D, It's like razors are easier to hone, and knifes not so..

Bladeforums has a nice section on sharpening. Freehand knife sharpening is difficult as YOU have to set and hold the angle of the bevel. Most people don't keep the same, exact angle natively and find it requires a LOT of practice to get that consistency. To that end, there are MANY systems out there for knives (Spyderco Sharpmaker, Lanksy and EdgePro are among the best). These systems help you keep the angle and make your sharpening experience more enjoyable:wink: You can learn to freehand, of course but make sure you bring your patience and it's best to learn on a softer, lower quality knife :)biggrin:DO NOT TRY TO LEARN SHARPENING ON A SPYDERCO S90V Military!!!!:biggrin: I DID use the DMT stones to do mine, however with incredible results!)

Enjoy!!!

Ken

Yepp, that's what I discovered very fast, It was impossible for me to have the same angle.. and then you have the tip of the knive..
If I use an round/rotating stone, then it is much easier.. But since I have three DMT's, lot of other stones, I thought I could try to sharpen some of my kitchen knives, but no good so far :D

I have the lansky set, maybe I just should buy some more stones for that, and use that setup more often.. It's just lying there in the drawer...

Sharpening tips there are in the maintenance section. Just use the search function.

My Lansky also sits in a drawer. For Kitchen and pocket knives, I usually use my Sharpmaker. It's much easier to work curves, serrations and tips on it. You'd have to try it to see what I mean but it's a very simple, well made and effective system.

Ken

Top Bottom