What's new

Anybody else commute to work via pedal bike.

Man I miss commuting. Round trip now I have a 75 mile drive. But I'm waiting to be transferred back to a closer branch and I will be back at it. It will be a 24 mile round trip commute. Even got a new to me singlespeed for the commute.
proxy.php

Man I miss commuting. Round trip now I have a 75 mile drive. But I'm waiting to be transferred back to a closer branch and I will be back at it. It will be a 24 mile round trip commute. Even got a new to me singlespeed for the commute.
proxy.php
Sharp looking bike! Is that 24 miles pretty flat?

Sharp looking bike! Is that 24 miles pretty flat?

For the most part. The first couple miles is down hill then about 10 miles of flat to work then I finish my ride with a couple of short climbs coming home. Not bad. I'm running a 42-18 setup on this bike.

Got caught in the rain on my way home today. I've commuted by bike all but 2 work days (thunderstorms) since May 01.

Here is one of my semi yearly #SOTD pics. Proceed with caution. Parental Guidance strongly suggested. What is seen, can not be unseen. You have been warned.

"Shorts of the Day" :w00t:

proxy.php

Tomorrow is the last day for The Commuter Challenge. It's basically business and people signing up to commute. 5 days straight for me.

Next week is "Bike to Work Week", with events and peple all biking to work. Friday is the official " Bike to Work" day, with pit stops giving away bells, maps, muffins and goodies.

Get out there and ride everyone!

Interesting, but not for me or most traditional cyclists I'm guessing.

I'm still commuting daily via bike and loving it. The weather has held up, legs are getting stronger, stamina is improving, speeds and times are as well. On pace for the most km's in a year since I was in my 20s and MTBing daily.

I had a few days off and have some coming up, but I'm sitting at about 900km so far (2 months).

Last edited:
I get it that a young traditional cyclist may not be interested, but an older guy like me? No way am I going to take a regular bike to work, and the battery/motor capacity added by opening up that wheel space give the 'electric' advantage way more than some of the existing electrics.

Interesting, but not for me or most traditional cyclists I'm guessing.

I'm still commuting daily via bike and loving it. The weather has held up, legs are getting stronger, stamina is improving, speeds and times are as well. On pace for the most km's in a year since I was in my 20s and MTBing daily.

I had a few days off and have some coming up, but I'm sitting at about 900km so far (2 months).

I had a rough July. Camping, came down with my first ever Kidney Stones but I'm back at it.

August is flying by, cycling daily and ready for a week of camping to relax and recover for daily rides.

I'm down from 187 to 178, legs and lungs are as strong as they have been in years, down a few belt loops too. It's been a great year of riding for me. If I can make it through September cycling, I may hit 2000km, my most in a long long time. Averaging about 1hr a day, 24km during the week and am sitting at about 50+hrs on my bike, 27km/hr average.

On the lookout for a new helmet now.

Last edited:
Still so very jealous of you Bruce ... I miss bike commuting so much, and it has had a dramatic effect on my mood, not to mention my weight.

The good news though, is I've been cleared to work full-time remote, and we're looking to move to southern Wisc ... so when that happens, I won't be "commuting" to work by bike per se, but I'll be able to get out and ride much easier than I can now.

At about 1850k now. It is getting very dark and cold in the morning so I am doing a Park & Bike. Still getting some riding in and saving $14/day on parking.

Rainy, cold, chance of snow but I'm still at it. Unless the weather makes a dramatic turn for the better, my weeks of riding are numbered. It may snow here in a night or two.

I guess the more you ride, the more flats you get. I got my second one of the year today.

The new bike lites and rear mud guard are coming in handy these wet mornings. My new helmet is also a welcome addition to my gear.

Last edited:
I used to be a regular bike commuter and I actually felt safer in urban areas where bicyclists are more common than I do in rural Maine with its often narrow, twisty, no shoulder roads. Much depends on riding conditions but I found six to ten miles a very reasonable commute. When my commute stretched to about 14 miles each way I started to like it much less but part of that was that I was less happy at work. [MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] I admire you for commuting in Manitoba if you last very far into the late fall/winter. I had friends who commuted year round in Minnesota even at -20F/-29C. If you have studded tires and can keep your hands and feet adequately warm it is tolerable. I believe it requires what the Finns call sisu.

At about 1920k now.

I'm going to do my best to see my Garmin go over 2k for the year.

I can't see myself going past the end of Oct. Crazy Winnipeg drivers, -30 temps, winds, slipper conditions, it just isn't safe.

Top Bottom