What's new

Anybody else commute to work via pedal bike.

^^ Thanks, it's a smooth rolling machine for sure! I just love the geometry of this frame and the wheelbase length being as short as it is makes it handle super snappy. I've done thousands of miles on this bike, organized centuries, 100+ mile fun rides, even done over 600 miles in one week on this thing. I've owned it for about 8 years now. It was in nicer shape before it got stolen, but I was stoked to just get it back. It had a matching front wheel but this post wheel was on it when I got it back.

-Xander

^^ Thanks, it's a smooth rolling machine for sure! I just love the geometry of this frame and the wheelbase length being as short as it is makes it handle super snappy. I've done thousands of miles on this bike, organized centuries, 100+ mile fun rides, even done over 600 miles in one week on this thing. I've owned it for about 8 years now. It was in nicer shape before it got stolen, but I was stoked to just get it back. It had a matching front wheel but this post wheel was on it when I got it back.

-Xander

That is alot of miles riding fixed. I can do about 15 miles fixed before I have to flip it back to the freewheel or get off and take a break. I do alot more freewheel riding then i do fixed though. I put a little over 800 on my singlespeed last year about 50 of it fixed. I was glad I had the fixed gear on one day riding home my freewheel just fell apart on me. so flipped over the wheel and kept riding home. That sucks that it was stolen but great you got it back. Again sweet looking bike.

Crossed the 400 mile theshold today (418 to be exact). With good weather, a good committment by myself and a little luck I should be able to get close to 2,000 miles commuting this year.

When I am coming up behind you on a BIKE path, going 30km/h and ring my bell well in advance to give warning, you should:

a) Ignore it
b) Scatter
c) Move to the left
d) Move to the right

The answer is of course D, but why are people so ignorant or unaware? It's the same as a road, stay to the right unless passing.

For the most part, my morning commute is with other commuters and people exercising. I ring and pass and we both say thanks and good morning as we cross. It's the ride home when things change. School kids are riding, people are out for fun and taking up the entire path, two wide, wrong side and/or talking in the middle of the path.

I couldn't tell you how many times this week I have had to yell "Heads up" as I barrel towards someone, ringing the bell, at full speed as they are obliviously looking around or down, while on the wrong side of the path with headphones on.

Last edited:
Here's the thing about bike paths: They are not roads for efficient transportation, they are parks for children and dogs. Rollerbladers take up the entire width of pavement. Kids sit down and play or wobble around on a bike for their first time without training wheels. Dogs are leashed less tightly than they are on the road. Adults who need a break from the hustle and bustle of the real world go for a leisurely stroll with headphones on without having to constantly pay attention to vehicles around them. A serious bicyclist attempting to get somewhere efficiently is the alien on a bike path, and an argument can be made that he is rude and even dangerous. During the morning commute they are abandoned and are perfect for commuting, as you describe, but the nature of it when it is used as a park in the afternoon is that people's minds are very far from road manners.

On bike paths around here, people walking are supposed to be on the wrong side. Is that not the case where you are?

It pains me to say this, but when you're barreling towards some oblivious headphone wearer strolling inattentively in the park you just have to brake and discard that momentum that you worked so hard to build, for the sake of safety and courtesy. When you're riding uphill on a narrow fast road with no shoulders and there is oncoming traffic, don't you expect cars behind to scrub their speed and wait tediously behind you until a safe, courteous passing opportunity is available? They could honk like you calling out to the inattentive folks and then buzz you, but that would not be good. On the bike path, you are the large high speed vehicle operator who needs to sacrifice the most.

Bike paths are inaccurately named. It's too bad there aren't separate commuting/training bike paths for seriously cyclists to go fast separately from parks where all manner of users do all manner of things, but we're a long way from that.

Last edited:
@captaincaveman I believe the paths on my commute are for mainly for cyclists, but will take note tomorrow. People are supposed to walk and obey the paved lines, just as they would a car on the road.

Most cylcists I see, give people plenty of advance warning when approaching them from the front or when passing with "a Ding Ding and a passing on the left". It's still more relaxing for me then the drive to work, so I'm fine dealing with the odd person who doesn't know what to do and pushes me off the paved trail. It's more the 16y old dude with his hat on sideways, Beats headphones on, trying to smooth talk his girl and act cool by purposely NOT moving when he knows people want to pass, that drives people nuts.

It seemed like everyone on the path today was oblivious and I was just venting some frustation....So, I'll give myself one of these. :sob:

Anyway, I'm still enjoy the commute and have pretty much been every day this year since the weather finally turned. Much more enjoyable then driving and I get my exercise at the same time. It's comforting to see the same old guys out for their morning walks, laides walking their dogs, cyclists commuting to work or out for their daily exercise. We all wave and say "hi" or "good morning" and repeat the next day. I wish I could do it 12 months a year, but it's not possible in my Canadian climate.

Last edited:
Bruce I relate to your lament. You're right, the bike path is a vastly different place in the afternoon compared to the mornings. I love the mornings ... little traffic, and what traffic there is are "regulars" whether they're walkers or riders. You expect to see them and they expect to see you.

In the afternoons however, it's like a minefield. One particularly memorable day last fall, the path runs alongside a high school, and the cross country coach thinks it's brilliant to have his team run on the path for practice. He doesn't, however, teach them anything in terms of path etiquette and I'm coming up on runners, four and five abreast running toward me, with no intent to move. I was LIVID.

I don't have a bell, but I'm considering one. If my mouth isn't parched I'll give a whistle, but a lot of times that isn't even heard. If I'm riding my road bike, the freewheel is nice and loud so I can coast a second or two as I approach and it'll get their attention.

Been off the bike two days now ... yesterday was like a monsoon around here, and today my step son has his eighth grade graduation so I have to be home on time. I did, however, extend my ride home on Tuesday night an extra five miles, so that was nice. I can't wait to get back to the bike tomorrow!

Had a funny moment Monday night going home.

Part of my commute takes me on a very busy four-lane street near downtown. There's also lots of cyclists/commuters so it's kind of a strength in numbers kind of thing. So I'm riding and observe a little ways ahead of me a guy on a bike make a right turn out of a McDonalds onto the street. It's a WIDE right turn, so much so that a passing car had to swerve to miss him. Hey, we all have momentary lapses on the bike, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Until, that is, I come up on him really fast and it surprises me. As I slow down I watch and he's mashing a huge gear for no apparent reason. He's riding an old Raleigh Technium but it's in good shape and doesn't appear to have any mechanical issues. So I check behind me, move to the left to pass him and do so quickly. Naturally we come to a stoplight. I slow to stop and he does too, but then he shoals me. Well, maybe he got his shifting issue sorted out I think to myself, and again, give him the benefit of the doubt.

And then the light changes and guess what, he's still mashing a big gear, just crawling away from the stoplight, and we're coming up to the busiest part of this street, where there's a tricky little move you've got to make from the right lane, which ends in a right turn only lane, to the left lane so you can go straight. There's also a transit hub here, and a couple of stoplights, so you've got to be alert, and ready to move. I wait, and he finally spools up to a decent speed. Then of course he kind of bumbles through the tricky intersection.

Eventually we make it through, then down a slight hill and back up another slight incline where there's another stoplight. And as we approach this stop light, there's another commuter, older guy, but clearly a "cyclist" with helmet, mirror and panniers. Masher and I move to our left and pass the guy but then have to stop at the light.

And again, light turns green and masher is straining to get moving from the light and the slight uphill. Now he's slowing me down, AND the guy we just passed who gives a "ding" from his bell to let us know he's there. And now we're in a fairly busy neighborhood and approaching yet another light. We all slow, and masher moves to the right and I follow because this is a right turn lane and I'm going right and I know the green arrow will come on before I get there. Pedaling slowly he looks over his shoulder, then jumps into the cross walk and crosses instead of waiting for the stop light, and cuts me and the other guy off in the process. I let him go and finally, with his back to me I give him the finger (passive aggressive I know) and from behind me comes a huge fit of laughter.

It's the other commuter, cracking up and nodding ... so I look at him and say, "It wasn't just me, right? He was making you nuts too?" and he nodded again and we continued on.

Why did you not try talking to the gentleman? You had multiple opportunities to find out if he was truly an *** or just ignorant to cycling.

He may have just gotten a new road bike and be completely unsure how to operate it.

You missed a golden opportunity to talk with someone who has some of the same interests as you and may just need a helping hand to learn the ropes.

I know when I first started on the road bike I had to be told to shift often.

Why did you not try talking to the gentleman? You had multiple opportunities to find out if he was truly an *** or just ignorant to cycling.

He may have just gotten a new road bike and be completely unsure how to operate it.

You missed a golden opportunity to talk with someone who has some of the same interests as you and may just need a helping hand to learn the ropes.

I know when I first started on the road bike I had to be told to shift often.

I don't think he was being an ***, at least not totally. Nor do I think he was a true "commuter." Those are pretty easy to spot around here (we have a very vibrant bike commuting scene).

Basically, when I passed him and then he shoaled me at the next stoplight, I knew it was pointless. I never shoal a fellow cyclist, UNLESS I know I'm faster than he/she and I discerned that before we reached the stoplight. Or if he/she greets me at the stoplight and encourages me to do so. I've had that happen.

When courtesy went out the window, I didn't bother. Maybe I missed an opportunity. At the time I was just making sure to keep myself safe around him and busy rush hour traffic.

What does it mean to be "Shoaled at" or "I never shoal a fellow cyclist"?

I've never heard that term. Is it passing in the shoulder lane or wrong side?

My funny bike ride/jogger story was from a few weeks ago.

The kids and I are out for a leisurely Saturday ride on a hard packed trail and we approarch a jogger wearing headphones and dog off leash.

We pass between the dog (who is off the trail) and the lady, but neglected to ring the bells or announce (because of the headphones). She yells as us "next time say passing on your left". I tell the kids to go ahead, so I can have a word with the lady.

I explained I teach my kids bike safety and courtesy, wear helmets, ring bells, stay to the left. I told her we did NOT do it this time, in fear of spooking the dog and she had headphones on and that her dog is illegaly off leash and now taking a dump on the side of the trail. Needless to say, she was a bit embarassed and I proceeded on my way.

Shoaling is basically passing another cyclist at a stoplight.

Example: You're sitting at a stoplight that is red. I approach from behind and rather than just taking my place behind you (like a car would) I decide to place myself in front of you, not knowing if you're faster than me. By putting myself in front of you, I "shoaled" you.

It's inconsiderate, and if you're faster than me, I've created an unsafe situation for you because you'll have to pass me when the light turns green.

From an NPR piece about safe cycling:
Shoaling: A shoal is a school of fish. Or a collection of cyclists at a red light. That's where shoaling happens. A cyclist comes up to the light, eyeballs a cyclist already there, thinks, "I'm faster than that person," and moves ahead.
But who can truly judge a cyclist's speed potential? Maybe the person you've shoaled is faster than you and will want to pass you once the light changes. To avoid triggering such unnecessary passes (not to mention road rage), "it's safer for people to wait at the light with everybody else and make the pass in the lane," says Billing. Or if you're really in a rush, just ask the other cyclist: "Hey, I'm late, is it OK to get in front of you?"

Shoaling is basically passing another cyclist at a stoplight.

Got it. I never do that either.

Usually when I approach a stop light with other cyclists, it's clear who is going to be faster and the slower cyclist usually gives way.

Reminds of the guy last week who I found drafting off me, going up a long, gradual hill. :cursing:

When I heard him and shoulder checked, I moved over and said "Here you go!" and let him by. I think he was hoping to draft off me for as long as possible, but I won't do that for a stranger.

My funny bike ride/jogger story was from a few weeks ago.

The kids and I are out for a leisurely Saturday ride on a hard packed trail and we approarch a jogger wearing headphones and dog off leash.

We pass between the dog (who is off the trail) and the lady, but neglected to ring the bells or announce (because of the headphones). She yells as us "next time say passing on your left". I tell the kids to go ahead, so I can have a word with the lady.

I explained I teach my kids bike safety and courtesy, wear helmets, ring bells, stay to the left. I told her we did NOT do it this time, in fear of spooking the dog and she had headphones on and that her dog is illegaly off leash and now taking a dump on the side of the trail. Needless to say, she was a bit embarassed and I proceeded on my way.

I've had some interesting moments with joggers over the past year.

Once, following a jogger with headphones on, I'm about to pass on the left and he decides to turn around right in front of me.

Similar situation played out earlier this year with a couple riding leisurely on the bike path down by the lake. They get passed by a roadie on their left, and I'm following about 30 seconds behind, and start to pass when the guy decides to turn around and makes a left without looking over his shoulder. I locked them up pretty quick, and his GF offers a meek apology after.

Like I said, I don't currently have a bell. My commuter is a cyclocross bike, and it has cantilever brakes on it. I've purposefully the front ones slightly maladjusted so that they squeal a bit when I use them hard. I'll use them as a makeshift bell if I need it.

Got it. I never do that either.

Usually when I approach a stop light with other cyclists, it's clear who is going to be faster and the slower cyclist usually gives way.

Reminds of the guy last week who I found drafting off me, going up a long, gradual hill. :cursing:

When I heard him and shoulder checked, I moved over and said "Here you go!" and let him by. I think he was hoping to draft off me for as long as possible, but I won't do that for a stranger.

:lol: oh ... you want me to pass? LOL ... I was enjoying the free pull up the hill! :thumbup:

Like I said ... we've got a great cycling/commuting scene here in Milwaukee, and overall people are great (especially the regulars). And the more people that ride, the more drivers are aware of us. The fact that I can bike commute figures heavily into my happiness with my current job.

A bell is great to alert people, going around blind corners and just let people know you are coming. I never had one as a kid, but when I started MTBing and would ride in Alberta where they are mandatory, I started to love it.

Now it's used pretty much daily as a friendly notice of "I'm coming". For the most part, people say "Thanks" when you go by after dinging it and it avoids having to yell or slam on the brakes.

Well worth the $3-5. :thumbup1:

:lol: oh ... you want me to pass? LOL ... I was enjoying the free pull up the hill! :thumbup:

I used to ride with others on the road, to get to the MTB trails and we would go single file and switch off every km or so. It was great and you'd get to draft and coast for a while. 3-4 guys, lead guy goes for 1km or until he needs a rest, then you'd drop to the back and move up as people switched off.

Threre is no way I'm towing some stranger up the hill and then have him zoom past me when we get to the peak, because I'm exhausted.

:thumbup1: About the only person I'd tow up a hill would be a cute female rider ... and at the top of the hill I'd be very chivalrous and allow her to pass :blush:

:thumbup1: About the only person I'd tow up a hill would be a cute female rider ... and at the top of the hill I'd be very chivalrous and allow her to pass :blush:

Reminds me of the other day...

I was coming up the bottom of a large bridge and a female jogger was also headed her way up. She kept checking for people coming up behind her and saw me coming. Shes gave way to me and let me go ahead, which was very nice. I made sure to give her the appopriate "thanks" and gave her a compliment of "maybe I should let you go first, you're probably faster".

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded if she had gone first over the bridge. :001_wub:

Top Bottom