What's new

Why oh why did this happen?

I have three shaving brushes, a C & E best, a C & E super, and a Shavemac 22579. I used my C & E best forever until I got the super and I used the super until I got the Shavemac. To me the Shavemac has been the top of my brush heap until last night. I got down the C & E best and did all the same things I've done since I started wet shaving. I used Proraso cream and the lather it produced made my Shavemac look and feel inferior. It made mountains of lather with no effort and the shave was great. What gives?? I still love my Shavemac I just can't get over the difference in performance.

I have three shaving brushes, a C & E best, a C & E super, and a Shavemac 22579. I used my C & E best forever until I got the super and I used the super until I got the Shavemac. To me the Shavemac has been the top of my brush heap until last night. I got down the C & E best and did all the same things I've done since I started wet shaving. I used Proraso cream and the lather it produced made my Shavemac look and feel inferior. It made mountains of lather with no effort and the shave was great. What gives?? I still love my Shavemac I just can't get over the difference in performance.

I own a Shavemac 177 and C&E Best. The Shavemac requires a little different technique than the C&E Best because of its density and size- but both produce great lather.

Here's the thing though- you might come to the conclusion, after using both for quite some time, that you still prefer the C&E Best- WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE! The amount you spend on a brush does not actually imply that it will, in some way, provide better lather. Typically higher grade brushes have softer, less scratchy tips and maybe hold some more water- but plenty of guys prefer the feel of the best. Use what you enjoy, not what you think you have been told to enjoy.... Throw up the rest of the brushes on the B/S/T forum and someone who enjoys the attributes of the other brush will take it off your hands.

I initially was a bit disappointed in my Shavemac as well because of the difference in lather technique. You have to use more cream/soap, and you have to let it soak long enough so it doesn't draw the water out of the lather. But, I love the feel of it on my face, nice and springy, but feather soft. Also the density holds heat better, and I think makes lather quicker as well.

If you've been using it exclusively, have you also been cleaning it regularly? Build-up on any brush can reduce it abilities pretty drastically.

I think this is a pretty common thing. People attribute improvements to the new gear, but its really the technique that's improving.

I think the best advice to the newbie looking for a better shaving experience, aside from picking a friendlier blade, is to suggest they wait six months before making any new major purchases, and then make decisions.

Sorry for the late reply but work finally caught up with me!:eek:I really appreciate the responses to my question. I've always said that money doesn't always buy what "works" best, and the masses have confirmed it. It's also nice to know that I'm not the only person thats had these experiences with different brushes. Now I have to think of another test I can torture myself with!:lol:

Top Bottom