What's new

What was the official name of the "Gillette Fatboy"

Was "Fatboy" a name that Gillette came up with? Or did customers call it this?

I have one and nowhere does the word Fatboy appear on the box.

Did the razor have another name?

And when and how did they start calling it Fatboy?

When it was released it was simply called Gillette Adjustable. It was later given the moniker Fatboy to differentiate it from the later produced slim model. I do not believe the term Fatboy was in any way official.

Is it the "195"?

the first Fatboy from 1957/58 was called from Gillette as "195 Adjustable". This name comes from the price of $1.95. The Fatboy with the dial on the end of the handle comes later. Mine is from 1960 F4. I think the name 195 for this razor comes from customers and not from Gillette.

I can't remember for sure but I recall seeing an old gillette commercial on youtube where they referred to it as the "fatboy".

It was originally called by it's Native American name "Razor-Which-Will-Get-505-Dollars-On-eBay-Someday", but that was too long.:biggrin:

the first Fatboy from 1957/58 was called from Gillette as "195 Adjustable". This name comes from the price of $1.95. The Fatboy with the dial on the end of the handle comes later. Mine is from 1960 F4. I think the name 195 for this razor comes from customers and not from Gillette.

+1 That is also my impression.

Here is an interesting example of the 1960 variation with the adjustment ring above the TTO knob on the handle. This one is a prototype. It has the same amount of adjustment but only numerals 1 through 5 on the ring with a dot between the numbers. No date code. Just the Gillette diamond under the head.

Here is an interesting example of the 1960 variation with the adjustment ring above the TTO knob on the handle. This one is a prototype. It has the same amount of adjustment but only numerals 1 through 5 on the ring with a dot between the numbers. No date code. Just the Gillette diamond under the head.

Jimmy, I was under the impression that these were the prototype for the adjustable razor and were pre Fatboy so that would be 57' as the Regional release for the Fatboy was D1 First quarter 58'. ....:confused:

Jimmy, I was under the impression that these were the prototype for the adjustable razor and were pre Fatboy so that would be 57' as the Regional release for the Fatboy was D1 First quarter 58'. ....:confused:

I don't know for sure, I was also under the impression that this version pre-dated the standard Fatboy but the fact that they ordinarily have an F date code makes me wonder. They could have been pre the standard model and then been introduced on a trial basis. If anybody knows for sure please post the info.

I don't know for sure, I was also under the impression that this version pre-dated the standard Fatboy but the fact that they ordinarily have an F date code makes me wonder. They could have been pre the standard model and then been introduced on a trial basis. If anybody knows for sure please post the info.

Oh Ok...hmmmmm...I hadn't seen one with a date code before....that's news to me. Mine does not have a date code.

Yes please, any more info would be welcomed for sure.

Oh Ok...hmmmmm...I hadn't seen one with a date code before....that's news to me. Mine does not have a date code.

Yes please, any more info would be welcomed for sure.
Nor mine. Does yours have the standard 9 numeral adjustment ring? Here is more info from the B&B shave Wiki.

Just from the two rather "poor" photos you posted of this razor...I would be willing to give you, oh....say...22.00 and shipping, nearly TEN TIMES the orginal cost!!!! Let me know where to have my accountant send the check!:a6::angel:

Top Bottom