What's new

Go for full restoration? Or enjoy the age.

I recently traded for this Greaves. Aside from a cursory cleaning I haven't done anything with it. I've been debating going for a full resto (would be my first try at it), but now I'm thinking I like this one to show her age a bit being a Greaves and all. What would you do? $uploadfromtaptalk1400125371631.jpg

I've gone both ways on this. I've got a couple that I've restored to a mirror or near mirror, but most I like with the patina and their age showing. Restoring, if you do it right, is A LOT of work. I'm going to assume that you don't have a low-RPM buffer and the correct assortment of pastes which means you're going to need to un-pin and then sand by hand the razor with a progression of grits from 120/220/320/400/600/800/1000/1500/2000. This usually takes me about 7 hours of hand work.

Normally though, I only go for the complete restore if there's really bad crud on the razor. Yours just has a light gloss of patina on it and most of that will come off with MAAS or Mother's polish. The way to do that, however, is with multiple applications of the polish. If you go to Maggard Razors website, Brad has a great series of videos and in the 3rd or 4th one I think, he shows how he does the polishing with Mothers. Very instructive. Doing a polish only treatment will give it some shine and make it look healthier without making it look new.

If there is an etching then always Patina. I personally think it really standsout. If not then iI go mirror or satin depending on the blade and how its dressed

+2 on this. Just some polishing keeps most of the patina and character, but gets the blade looking a little fresher.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

+1, that'll get the blade cleaned up nicely, and still keep its character.

Top Bottom