What's new

Kamisori Pass Around

Any kamisori educated folks see the frequency of narrow fissures in the blade running lengthwise? frequently located about 1/4 blade width down from the spine, and running from 1/4", to almost the length of the blade section (not into the handle).
I see this in photos of very decent razors, mostly those with honest age and proper identification stamping. (Not in new steel, or made in more modern foundries)

I could use an educated opinion, as I'm in the middle of a deal, and I'd like to keep the blade, but am concerned that my researching this is sure has been incomplete. The razor I have purchased has this flaw, but doesn't seem to effect metal stability or geometry.

(Mod, please move this to a more proper place if one exists. Notify me) running low on PMs.

Any kamisori educated folks see the frequency of narrow fissures in the blade running lengthwise? frequently located about 1/4 blade width down from the spine, and running from 1/4", to almost the length of the blade section (not into the handle).
I see this in photos of very decent razors, mostly those with honest age and proper identification stamping. (Not in new steel, or made in more modern foundries)

I could use an educated opinion, as I'm in the middle of a deal, and I'd like to keep the blade, but am concerned that my researching this is sure has been incomplete. The razor I have purchased has this flaw, but doesn't seem to effect metal stability or geometry.

(Mod, please move this to a more proper place if one exists. Notify me) running low on PMs.

That's where the softer steel meets the blade steel ... Usually the better steel was just for the blade edge,,, this was connected to cheaper steel that makes the spine and the handle (kinda like the frameback concept)... Am I making sense?

This is what ur talking about right?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405750230.804323.jpg

Last edited:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405779453.034444.jpg
I'm having a devil of a time getting this fissure to show well in photo, but yes, might be what you've described.

Hope to not have run the thread off the rails. Call it an educational moment for those interested in Kamisori razors.
Thanks

Mc, you have two different materials being forge welded together. One being a clean high carbon steel and the other being anything from wrought iron to low-grade steel. The cracks, fissures and other issues that you see are associated with poor welds due to oxidation, low heat or impurities. This happens even in the best of damascus. Having worked damascus from 10 different sources, I've had only 1 that was free of any weld issues; an that is with clean steels, modern techniques, and great equipment so you can imagine what can happen when hand forging in a traditional manner.

The area where you have those issues will not affect its intended purpose, these would be a big deal on anything other than a razor that had to absorb shock or be used around acidic or other detrimental conditions. Though not a big deal, they are displeasing to the eye, which is why I prefer to make my razors from quality known mono-steels and rarely use damascus/pattern welded steel.

Hope that this helps.

Last edited:
There are various techniques in laminating steel but they are all along these lines:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, it's been almost a month since a post relating to the passaround. Any thoughts from subsequent recipients/testers?

OK, it's been almost a month since a post relating to the passaround. Any thoughts from subsequent recipients/testers?

It took a while for me to get it in shaving shape, since it arrived with a small nick in it that I suspect occurred during shipping.
This took me a couple of days to get around to, and two evenings after work to get it all gone. Then it was time to actually sharpen it, and that took several slurries over a couple of afternoons to accomplish.
Between all of this, plus my work schedule I only got three shaves in with it.

My overall impression is that it was well-made. I liked the width, and it was quite a bit heavier than a Western type blade, but probably normal, considering the width.
It felt very good in hand, and I really liked the wicker-type wrap material used on the handle.
It would surface rust and develop water spots easily, but this is the nature of O1 steel.
I can't compare this one to an original style one since I've never shaved with one before, but it has convinced me that if I DO get one I'll have one made with a symmetrical grind.

All in all, a very nice piece and I appreciate Mike for giving me the opportunity to spend time experience this blade.

Last edited:
Quick update: I arrived home from a week+ out of town to find a box from Kenny containing this beautiful blade. I got in late and had to work early this morning so I wasn't able to get it ready for my first try. Ill give it a go in the morning. Love the look and the feel in hav pond, although I expect it will take some getting used to. I'll probably give it a few tries before reporting back.

I've been enjoying this razor quite a bit the last week and a half. Took a few tries to get the angles figured out then took a few days of off and on efforts to get the edge back up to snuff, but the last few days it has performed really well. I've never used a kamisori before, but I've liked this one enough I've since bought my first vintage kami from the bay. Mike has done a beautiful job with the design and grind on this razor and the handle wrapping looks flawless. For me it is a bit heavy at the blade-end and feels a bit off balance when I start a each shave. After a couple strokes I stop noticing it though and it hasn't effected the performance, I just think I'd prefer a smaller kami, hence the purchase f a traditionally-sized one. I'm not surprised by this as I haven't liked any of the heavy wedge western straights that I've had in my hands for the same reason, so if you like bug wedges but find the traditional small kamisoris too small and light, this will be right up your alley. I'm going to try to touch up the edge a little and have another shave or two then send it on its way.

Mike, em thank you for the opportunity to try this beautiful razor. I hate to let it get away, but it is time...

I've still got it, was getting ready to pass it along, and got a "hey, you need to leave tomorrow" on a trip. I'll pass it along as soon as I'm home.

Top Bottom