What's new

Kamisori Pass Around

I'm a monkey when it comes to woodworking, but I wonder how much harder it'd be to build a box that holds a kami vertically like other tabletop display pieces, that also has a securable lid for shipping, or transporting. And that's not to take away anything from Doc's box. Just spitballing a better mousetrap maybe.

I'm still trying to figure out a home/travel solution for mine as well.

Still playing with the kamisori. Though this specific one is starting to grow on my, I'm still not a huge fan of the technique required in using a kamisori based on my limited experience with this one and the one from a previous pass around--a western straight is much more comfortable for me. But I have a few more days with this cool razor, so I'll continue to give it a fair shake.

The weight issue has been fixed in following blades and I've made a few boxes like the one that was posted. :D Thank you guys for the feedback.

So, my time with this very cool razor has come to an end; it's boxed up and should be shipped to Doc this afternoon.

Overall, I've very much enjoyed the experience. The kamisori took a great edge from my inexperienced honing, and I got great shaves from it every shave. Though I commented on its large size, this aspect never got in the way of a great shave. For me personally, a lighter, more narrow profile would likely be more comfortable, but I managed just fine with this one.

In my opinion, Mike did a great job on the fit and finish of this blade; I look forward to the straight I currently have on order from him--I have no doubt it will likewise be very, very nice.

Thanks again Mike for putting your work out here for us for our use and critique. It's been fun.

If you do this again, I sure would love to try this razor! I've used and liked the Feather replaceable, and I actually shave with all my foldables straight out- holding them right at the area where the metal and other material meet.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been lent a kamisoro and only got one reply when I asked in the Shave Clinic: does a kamisori require a different technique from the symnetrically ground folding straights that I am used to?

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been lent a kamisoro and only got one reply when I asked in the Shave Clinic: does a kamisori require a different technique from the symnetrically ground folding straights that I am used to?

Yes it does, but I've not mastered it. If you use only the Omote (flat) side which is the traditional way that barbers would shave their customers, then it'll lay flat against the face. This, combined with the absolute quiet of the cutting, requires some getting used to. Having a very wet, very slick lather helps. So does stretching as having a flat as possible plain to shave minimizes the chance of cutting yourself. If you switch hands and sides of the Kami and use the Ura side, then you'll need to adjust the angle so it's not so flat.

Others might have additional or different tips. I've got about 30 kami shaves to my credit and they've ranged from ridiculously good to a bloody mess.

Yes it does, but I've not mastered it. If you use only the Omote (flat) side which is the traditional way that barbers would shave their customers, then it'll lay flat against the face. This, combined with the absolute quiet of the cutting, requires some getting used to. Having a very wet, very slick lather helps. So does stretching as having a flat as possible plain to shave minimizes the chance of cutting yourself. If you switch hands and sides of the Kami and use the Ura side, then you'll need to adjust the angle so it's not so flat.

Others might have additional or different tips. I've got about 30 kami shaves to my credit and they've ranged from ridiculously good to a bloody mess.

Thanks! And why do they have this asymmetrical grind? Does it bring any advantages?

The "why" of it I don't know. Any documentation for the reasons would certainly be in Japanese and I can't read it. One can speculate that since these were used by barbers, exclusively it seems, there was no need for a hollow on both sides. Over time, even with changing behavior, the design stuck. Tradition is, after all, a powerful thing.

If you do this again, I sure would love to try this razor! I've used and liked the Feather replaceable, and I actually shave with all my foldables straight out- holding them right at the area where the metal and other material meet.

I'll be doing it again with a smaller version in the coming month, so keep an eye out. :)

Very nice shave this morning with the kami, Tim put a very nice edge on it.

It is a nice kami, solid, heavy. Silent whisker killer.

The "why" of it I don't know. Any documentation for the reasons would certainly be in Japanese and I can't read it. One can speculate that since these were used by barbers, exclusively it seems, there was no need for a hollow on both sides. Over time, even with changing behavior, the design stuck. Tradition is, after all, a powerful thing.

From what I understand good steel was not readily available so the blade would have the better steel for the edge and inferior quality metal for the rest of the blade. The asymmetrical grind was from the side with the poorer metal to expose the better steel edge. I can't say if this is 100 percent accurate but it is what a quick google search resulted in.

I've enjoyed shaving with the Kamisori. The weight was initially awkward in the sense I was using too much pressure for the first few strokes but it became natural very quickly and I found I liked it. I would prefer a slightly smaller blade to allow me to reach the hollows of my neck more easily since I don't have as much flexibility in orienting the blade as I do with a western straight due to the straight handle and one sided shaving. I plan on trying a head shave tomorrow. Overall a great shave.

Top Bottom