What's new

Audio Karma - Vintage Audio Discussion

Also.....

PBS and the BBC’s docu showcase series “Arena” are partnering on “American Epic,” a three-part series chronicling the first recordings of American roots music in the 1920s. Robert Redford, T Bone Burnett and the White Stripes’ Jack White are exec producing the series.

The docu-series will be followed by a feature-length film, “The American Epic Sessions,” which will include performances by contemporary musicians as they attempt to record music using techniques of the 1920s and ’30s, including recording directly to wax with a record lathe. Performers set for the sessions include White, Alabama Shakes, the Avett Brothers, Beck, Merle Haggard, Elton John, Los Lobos, Taj Mahal, Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Nas, Willie Nelson and Raphael Saadiq.

“This is America’s greatest untold story,” Redford said in a statement. “It’s an account of the cultural revolution that ultimately united a nation.”

The series will be directed by Bernard MacMahon, with producers and writers Allison McGourty and Duke Erikson.

“These musicians we profile are the real American heroes,” Burnett said in a statement. “They set out from the darkness with nothing but a guitar on their backs, put out their thumbs and conquered the world.”

“American Epic” will eventually be available on DVD and Blu-ray from PBS Distribution. A companion album and box sets will also be released by Sony Music’s Legacy, Columbia Records and White’s Third Man Records.

Companion Soundtrack and Music Box Sets to be Released by Sony Music’s Legacy and Columbia Records and Third Man Records.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as it pains me to stay home, RSD is garbage these past few years. Everything is already on eBay selling for 2-5x the price and when you go to the store, they have squat.

The only one I was really after was The White Stipes - GBMS, but they'll be releasing it on Black Vinyl later in the year. Black Vinyl is usually more consistent and maybe they'll have worked out any kinks or complaints with sound on the second pressing....if there is any issues.

proxy.php

I share your feelings. I thought about heading out to the record stores, but I don't really care to mess with the crowds when there isn't anything I could really go for.

I share your feelings. I thought about heading out to the record stores, but I don't really care to mess with the crowds when there isn't anything I could really go for.
I was out today and stopped in two stores, neither had GBMS....but it's on eBay for $100.

I expect demand to subside and hope to get it if I want....but I'm happy waiting for full production release.

I was out today and stopped in two stores, neither had GBMS....but it's on eBay for $100.

I expect demand to subside and hope to get it if I want....but I'm happy waiting for full production release.

It'd be fun to get it on colored vinyl but not for almost 5 times the price. I'll be waiting for the black version too.

I'm pulling out some big guns soon. Original Pearl Jam pressings. I'm still missing No Code and Binaural from studio LP's but hope those get repressed and released soon.

Glad I bought them all when they first came out as I could never justify the eBay prices.

Viva LA Vinyl

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1432767248617.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1432767248617.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 151

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm pulling out some big guns soon. Original Pearl Jam pressings. I'm still missing No Code and Binaural from studio LP's but hope those get repressed and released soon.

Glad I bought them all when they first came out as I could never justify the eBay prices.

Viva LA Vinyl

:thumbup:

I've recently started picking up some vinyl at yard sales and antique shops.

Any recommendations on a moderately inexpensive starter record player? Must have a cover of some sort, since I'm hoping to have it in my garage. Any suggestions on specs, brands, etc to avoid or look for?

Looking forward to building a vinyl collection to rival my cd collection (currently about 700 albums). :punk:

Any recommendations on a moderately inexpensive starter record player? Must have a cover of some sort, since I'm hoping to have it in my garage. Any suggestions on specs, brands, etc to avoid or look for?

Looking forward to building a vinyl collection to rival my cd collection (currently about 700 albums). :punk:
I always vote Vintage for tables. Check your local GoodWill, Salvation Army, Craiglist or Kijiji and put the word out to family and friends.

I've scored a few tables, my primary table actually, a German Dual from a coworker for $20. Then she PIF'd me about 200 vinyl last year when she was cleaning out her house. A few months ago my father in law called me into his basement and asked if I wanted his table and vinyl collection.

Vintage Dual, Marantz, Technics, Sansui and even Sony will all get you up and spinning vinyl and hopefully no more then $50 and another few for whatever cartridge/stylus you want. As for which to avoid, I don't know for sure but I'd avoid brands like Ion, USB and the digital plug into PC type.

A new needle can see you back $20-200 but a new needle is highly recommended if you are getting a used, unknown user table. You'll also have to make sure your AMP or Receiver has PHONO inputs or you'll be looking at picking up a Pre-Amp as well.

Last edited:
[emoji106]
Here's another one I don't play enough, that sells for a few bucks on eBay. I think I picked it up for $30 shipped from TenClub the day it was released.

Most of the modern bands I listen too, still release vinyl. So I always pick them up on release or presale, so don't miss out on an LE pressing or hard to come by in the future.

Pearl Jam - Self Titled aka Avocado

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1432937061415.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1432937061415.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 140

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Here's another one I don't play enough, that sells for a few bucks on eBay. I think I picked it up for $30 shipped from TenClub the day it was released.

Most of the modern bands I listen too, still release vinyl. So I always pick them up on release or presale, so don't miss out on an LE pressing or hard to come by in the future.

Pearl Jam - Self Titled aka Avocado

Great album. Very underrated.

I opened up this Analoge Productions complete SRV box set today.

The sounds and packaging is through the room. For the price of a high quality Badger Brush, I have all the SRV I could want and will be enjoyed for hours on end.

SRV never sounded so good. Apparently the 45RPM version is even better. The 33s sound crystal clear and perfect to my ears.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1433616446996.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1433616446996.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 145
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1433616547066.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1433616547066.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment-style complex. I had to do a major downsize. I had a nice 80's stereo system with multiple amps an speakers, that took up a great deal of real estate in my home. I sold off all of the pieces but could not get rid of everything. I saved a vintage Sears Professional Series tuner to have on display, just for the good looks of a vintage piece. I never thought that I would use it again. I was sorting out a large bin of cables and connectors when I saw that I had the right cables to hook up the tuner to a set of Harmon/Karden , powered, computer speakers that I had. To my surprise and delight, this turned out to be a great combination. I get great sound and as much volume as I need to annoy the neighbours.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
$20150627_104703.jpg

Perpetuum Ebner Rex A from 1958. It was new in the box when it was given to me by a family friend. It had a "Baroque" arm from being buried under other items that I fixed. In the original shipping box were all the attachments including the rare auto changer platter. This unit was destined at some time to be in a cabinet so I had to build a base for it.
Glorious monophonic sounds come out of the thing as it plays through my 1956 Kuba Imperial radio in the back there.

Oh, and funink, I had that exact same steam engine until I sold it on the Bay five years ago.

Last edited:
I've been waiting close to 15y for this one to appear on vinyl....it's finally here. :w00t:

One of my favorite movies and soundtracks of all time.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1440711440846.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1440711440846.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 97
Bruce, Berkowitz is the same guy who did your Dylan set, which I was going to order but will now have to wait!

Did you end up ordering The Beatles Mono Box? The price just came down low enough for me to justify purchasing and I will be moving out my Stereo Box shortly as I don't need both.

By the looks and sounds of it, the Mono box is the one to have. Hopefully I made the right call.

I've picked up about 20 albums over the last few months, and this weekend I finally got around to picking up a turntable. Ended up snagging a mint Dual 1225 for a song. It's currently loaded with an M93. Came with about 60 records, about half of which were albums that I probably would have purchased at some point any way. There are only about 5-10 in there that I have no interest at all in.

Now I've got to figure out and buy my preamp/amp/speaker set up. Thinking something cheap-ish to start and then I'll upgrade later.

Last edited:
Lots of new Vinyl coming out soon.

PJ just announced pre-order of the long out of print copies of Yield & No Code.

The White Stripes released The Peel Sessions on RSD and should be coming out with a black vinyl version of it later this year....unless they forget about the black version like they did with Get Behind Me Satan. I sure hope they don't though.

I own an original copy of Yield but will still add a repress for regular rotation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom