What's new

Audio Karma - Vintage Audio Discussion

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I love that some of the old classic names are still around. Mark Levinson (did you know he was married to Kim Catrall?), Audio Research, Spectral, Krell, McIntosh- they've all been around for decades.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I really want a turntable.
What is a good one under $200 (under $100 if possible) ?
I think I would prefer one with built in speakers. So I don't have to purchase speakers separately.

Last edited:
My set up for 2 rooms is an Apollo cd player,Pioneer dual well cassette deck ,Pioneer SX-1250 receiver,VMPS speakers,Rega-3 turntable, Tara Labs cables,Godar antenna in living room......Paradigm speakers,Pioneer SX-1050,Denon carousel CD player in bedroom.B&K Pro10 pre-amp with B&K ST-202 amp with Marantz 120 O'scope tuner in mothballs for awhile....Had the Rega and B&K equipment since 1985,had them rebuilt 6 years ago.....VMPS since 1986,rebuilt at the factory 5 years ago......I still have all my vinyl from the 50's and 60's,and a handful of 78's....

I really want a turntable.
What is a good one under $200 (under $100 if possible) ?
I think I would prefer one with built in speakers. So I don't have to purchase speakers separately.

I am not familiar with the all-in-ones, but I always vote Vintage.

Let it be known to family and friends you are looking, someone may have one or their folks may have one sitting, unused, ready for a good home. That's how I found mine.

If you don't get any leads, check the local used sites and local metro papers. There are often people selling them for fair prices. There are also "record shows, or swap meets" in many areas, well run, organized and guys come to sell hardware too. Your local record store (if you have one), often have tables too or can keep an eye out for an all-in-one for you, they are usually great guys to deal with. All of these routes will allow you to see it, try it etc and know you are dealing with audio buffs.

The "modern" tables on the market are usually cheap plastic or the well made ones are asking top dollar. This is not true for all tables, but I have yet to see one in my realistic price range that comes close to the build quality and serviceability of the old ones.

I'm sure others will chime in with some tips or suggestions on an all-in-one, but that is what I would try and have had success aquiring items with in the past.

Patience helps too. I wanted one right away, but waited and ended up with 2 very nice tables for next to nothing compared to their actual market value.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I am not familiar with the all-in-ones, but I always vote Vintage.

Let it be known to family and friends you are looking, someone may have one or their folks may have one sitting, unused, ready for a good home. That's how I found mine.

If you don't get any leads, check the local used sites and local metro papers. There are often people selling them for fair prices. There are also "record shows, or swap meets" in many areas, well run, organized and guys come to sell hardware too. Your local record store (if you have one), often have tables too or can keep an eye out for an all-in-one for you, they are usually great guys to deal with. All of these routes will allow you to see it, try it etc and know you are dealing with audio buffs.

The "modern" tables on the market are usually cheap plastic or the well made ones are asking top dollar. This is not true for all tables, but I have yet to see one in my realistic price range that comes close to the build quality and serviceability of the old ones.

I'm sure others will chime in with some tips or suggestions on an all-in-one, but that is what I would try and have had success aquiring items with in the past.

Patience helps too. I wanted one right away, but waited and ended up with 2 very nice tables for next to nothing compared to their actual market value.

I'm going to check out Goodwill today and periodically. Also maybe some pawn shops.
Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to check out Goodwill today and periodically. Also maybe some pawn shops.
Thanks for the tips!

Pawn shops are a great place to find really good stuff (sometimes). If you know what you are looking at and know what it is worth.

Pawns shops use the Orion Guide which is similar to the Kelly blue book except for audio equipment

This came from a pawn shop :yesnod:

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What are some good brands?

I remember we had one when I was a kid and I used to play the records just to watch the needle jump up and down. The louder it got the further it moved!

Marantz, Sansui, Technics, Denon, Old Sony, Onkyo are some well know to look out for.

There are a ton of other small names that are very high end, but I don't know them without Googling after I see them.

Top Bottom