What's new

Would consider a water-pass to be an advanced technique?

Just to clarify...are you referring to adding water to the soap film left after a shaving pass to create a slick film, or putting water on a dry face?

-Clarke

Ich bin Herr Doktor Eisen-Bart...

So adding a touch-up pass with just water, is this considered an advanced technique? Just curious.

Could be a bit painful or rough, depending on your beard. Better to add some lather or oil, I would think. If you have tried it and it works for you, great.

Just to clarify...are you referring to adding water to the soap film left after a shaving pass to create a slick film, or putting water on a dry face?

-Clarke

I am referring to adding water to the soap film left over from a shaving pass.

Could be a bit painful or rough, depending on your beard. Better to add some lather or oil, I would think. If you have tried it and it works for you, great.

I usually do the water pass after 3 normal passes with cream/soap so there is only very fine stubble left, if any.

For me it's a "standard practice".

On my first pass with a straight, if I think a stroke is not close enough, I'll immediately use a bit of water and go over it again.

I don't think of it as "advanced."

But if you were to use water that came from a well in the Himalayas that was drawn by monks who have no contact with outside world, well then! That would be pretentious.

I am referring to adding water to the soap film left over from a shaving pass.

I usually do the water pass after 3 normal passes with cream/soap so there is only very fine stubble left, if any.

It's been standard procedure for me for a while now. I have to use a very light touch though. I'm not sure if it should be considered an advanced technique.

-Clarke

depends on water termperature, but usualy adding water dilutes the lubricating effect, could be counter productive, i but sometimes i feel that the lather gets too thick and wet the brush a bit,

depends on water termperature, but usualy adding water dilutes the lubricating effect, could be counter productive, i but sometimes i feel that the lather gets too thick and wet the brush a bit,
I wasn't referring to adding water to the regular lather. After I make my passes, a thin, sticky residue remains on my skin. A little water added to it makes it super slick.Using very light pressure (since the slick film is so thin) I am able to touch up areas.

-Clarke

I always rinse with warm water after the third pass to check for stragglers. It's part of my no beard left behind program.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
At first, I thought that "water-pass" was going to be about some B&B'ers wanting to ship a big box of different water samples around the country so guys could try lathering with different waters. :eek:

Nope ...

Then I thought "pass water" :blushing:

Nope ...

Ah, how mundane ... :biggrin:

Top Bottom