What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I have a LONG way to go learning to hone.

Recieved 2 shave ready straights that I used the last two mornings.

What a difference. No nicks or weepers, extremely minimal irritation.

I also know what 'tugging' actually means now. I.E. What my self honed straights do ATG on my chin...

Still aiming for the SAS/CCS before work on weekdays, but the CCS I got this morning from my newly acquired 6/8ths Spanish Olympic round point was my best to date. The extra sharpness really made all the difference in an ATG pass on my chin.

Sharp razor = good razor. Must practice honing more.
(I'm totally going to keep my 2 shave ready straights upkept by pros until I get my technique down on my remaining 3...regardless of how many years it takes to develop skills at honing).

Cold shaving, pre shower = less irritation. There was a different sort of feedback. Wasn't pulling but definitely felt different
Hot shower burned a bit on the fresh skin, but no damage done

My good old Otto Roth (Gillette New clone) is a great shaver,

A nice break away from using my usual razors.....

A hellava razor when paired with a Perma Sharp blade!

Gillette 7 o'clock super platinum blacks tend to provoke weepers. I will stick to my tried, tested and proven favorites Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless greens/Personna Reds or Voskhod.

This was not learned from my last shave, but rather my penultimate shave. When moving a straight razor from one hand to the other, actually look at the razor as it's passed and do not automatically assume that your thumb is poised above the tang, rather than the blade. The result may not be particularly painful, but it is certainly colorful.

in several posts regarding razor burn, I found several keys to help get rid of mine. I think the most "AH HAH" comment was to grasp the razor by the end of the handle with my finger tips and let the weight of the razor head shave my face. I can't wait to try this technique in my technique.

The '64 Tech I use most of the time is a great little razor.

It is a gentle shaver and gets the job done easily.

I am going minimalist and even though I own and

Use a variety of razors, this will be my main one from now on.

I want to keep it simple! Less is more.

1) Cold water shaving leads to less irritation and weepers. I'm going to keep at this for awhile as it may become the new norm.
2) When using a DR Harris Shave wet the stick then stick apply a lot of product. Start with a drier brush and add water as needed. This soap seems to thirsty. Upon second pass apply the stick again before using the brush.

I think I learned that I either don't tolerate cold water at all, or my cold water is significantly colder than other people's cold water.

There wasn't enough hot water left after all the showers, so I figured I'd try out a cold water shave. Not enjoyable at all. In terms of results it wasn't a bad shave, but in terms of the experience it was not something I plan on repeating.

Maybe in the one or two week long Calgary summer I'll give it a shot again.

I learned DO NOT shave with a DE razor and have high school flashbacks while listening to Vanilla Ice. The dancing can become dangerous and you're 17 yr old daughter will look at you in disgust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom