What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

No way of knowing how many shaves I'll get out of it but I really enjoyed day twin on my Nacet. Also used my first restore brush today. Two band finest knot felt like a pillowy cloud on my face.

As my technique has improved, I've become more and more impressed with Personna Platinum Chromes. Just ordered 100, even though I don't *need* any more blades.

I learned that I can control irritation on my neck by changing the direction I shave. My neck hair all grows in the same direction across my neck from left to right. For decades I had shaved using a cart (Mach 3) starting at the top of the cheek downwards to the bottom of my neck. I then would reverse direction and shave upwards from the bottom of my neck to the top of my cheek. Since shaving with a double edge I started to pay more attention to the direction my beard grows. In seeking a closer shave I began adding a third pass just on my neck against the grain. That led to bumps on my neck. I decided to change my routine so that my first pass on my cheeks stopped at my jawline. I then shaved my neck alone going with the grain. Therefore, my entire first pass is with the grain. My second pass then goes from the bottom of my neck up to the top of my cheek. That way the second pass on my neck is now across the grain and on my cheeks against the grain. I don't do more than two passes on my cheeks. I then do a third pass on my neck which goes against the grain. When I follow this approach for my neck starting with WTG, then XTG, and finishing with ATG, I don't get irritation. And my shave on my neck is becoming increasingly a DFS. I haven't really been able to get a BBS on my neck. Cheeks are not a problem. Just the neck. And with me being an old fart with skin that is starting to stretch and loosen, I may never achieve a BBS there. And I'm ok with that. But I have to say I am getting a far better shave since moving to DE in April than I ever did with a cartridge. And that puts a smile on my face.

Today my cheap shaving brush collapsed in my hand. I have hardly used it. Its been in a rotation with three other brushes and gets little use as I have never really liked it. In a way I was glad it fell apart so I could justify throwing it out. So really, I suppose I learned not to buy things just because they are cheap, but to wait until I see genuine quality at a reasonable price.

After 5 years of wet shaving and pretty much knowing what in doing, Today was the first day I held the razor with my pinky underneath, the BEST way I've found to let the weight of the razor to do the work. Pinky under....trust me!!!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
After experimenting I've discovered the my 15mm DeLuxe really likes a new blade every time...

Bea Shaving Sticks are very similar to Lea Shaving Sticks, except for the scent

I'm a fan of the performance of LEA shave stick, but not so much of the scent. It was best described once as smelling like powdered laundry detergent.

What does the BEA shave stick smell like?

1. The day after you get the Fine Lather Bowl you had your eye on for months is a bad time to discover you really enjoy face lathering.

2. Takes me two days to have growth enough for a decent shave. However, if there is a "must-be-shaven" day coming up that falls out of sync with my schedule, I can adjust the plan by shaving at night so that the spread is 1 1/2 days instead of two.

3. My Semogue 620 is finally broken in after almost three months. I think two things expedited the break-in in the past few days: 1) using the lather bowl with a textured bottom to split the bristles more and 2) storing it upside down instead of on a stand-- which I would theorize lets the residual water in the bristles run down toward the base of the knot, which was always stiff, thus softening it up a bit.

I'm a fan of the performance of LEA shave stick, but not so much of the scent. It was best described once as smelling like powdered laundry detergent.

What does the BEA shave stick smell like?
I don't know but I really like the La Toja stick and matching aftershave. It's got a nice ocean/mineral salt scent. I wasn't sold at first but it's really grown on me. It will be one of those soaps I'll always stock.

B.O.T.O.C.
C.O.A.

That since I started DE shaving I never had a blade that caused irritation set in 12 hours later. I know it wasn't the soap as I have been using it the most for the last 6 months. This used to happen when I used an electric shaver. The blade, a Derby Extra. Tossing the blade and will stow the rest until a later date. Onto another blade. Although this morning I surely thought I got a DFS with minimal irritation.

Top Bottom