What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I'm learning to gauge my lather by how easy it is to rinse off the razor. If the lather doesn't rinse easy and is clogged, my lather is too thick.

I'm also still working through my blade samples. Today was my first shave with Astra SS. Here is my rankings so far:

Astra SP = Astra SS > Big Ben SS > Derby

Learned that St James of London is a really slick cream and that I can shave against the grain on my neck finally after many months of trying by using Feathers and very very very light pressure. Any other blade I've tried caused me to get irritation.

From my last three shaves, I've learned that using Noxzema as a pre shave is working for me so far. No new irritation, and my usual trouble spots look better than usual. I'm going to keep using it for a while.

Learned that I'm probably not open comb material. The ATT M2 wasn't for me, but luckily the M1 is great! So I just need to return the M2 plate.

Canned aloe Barbasol works just fine if you don't feel like using a brush and soap on certain days.

Used it with an OC razor today... took off a 4.5 day old beard. Face feels great!!

Learned that a more aggressive setting (6) on my Fatboy makes shaving my chin area a lot easier, but the blade exposure means I have to be more careful. Nicked my nose because I was being careless.

That my Ogallala Bay Rum soap loads a lot easier than williams. I had entirely too much soap on the brush. :lol:
After reverting to warm water shaving for awhile, I started to get some irritation on a small area on my neck. Back to cold, and my shave was smooth and irritation free. Even went for a 3rd pass for a DF Sunday shave.

I went from an Astra blade to a Gillette 7 O'clock and Cella to Shannon's Soap yesterday. What an amazing shave! I was able to use lighter pressure and got a much closer and comfortable shave.

Using a fresh Astra SS blade in the Tech with Williams Mug soap on a one day growth is not very comfortable .....

Close shave at the finish but it left my face a little bit sore and irritated.

I have tried to like Williams... and many past shaves have been good with it, but this combo I will not repeat again.

Top Bottom