What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

that i hate dirby blades and want to go back to gillette silver blue. i am still testing blades since i just started like 5 days ago. i know i need to test diffrent blades but i really like the silver blue. oh and i love the omega synthentic brush over the boar brush from omega.

that i hate dirby blades and want to go back to gillette silver blue. i am still testing blades since i just started like 5 days ago. i know i need to test diffrent blades but i really like the silver blue. oh and i love the omega synthentic brush over the boar brush from omega.

You don't need to test different blades if you've already found one you really like. Stick with what works for you while you get everything nailed down. Then, in a few months, start branching out again.

I've seen positive reviews about the Sharks, and overwhelming glowing reviews on the Proraso. Did I get a bad blade? Did I somehow lather the Proraso wrong? is that a thing I should be aware of? Or did I become so comfortable with what I'm told are average blades that I was unprepared for a sharper blade?

I would isolate the new products, and only try one at a time. With a the new blades and new soap, you don't know which one is the root cause. I use the old blades you've had success with for now, and just concentrate on the new soap. If the soap turns out okay, you can then try the new blade type with the VDH. This method should help you figure out if it is the combination of soap and blade, or one of the two new items that caused the issues.

The principles of good technique apply to all razors - it's just a matter of adjusting the application of them to each situation. Kind of like life...

Last edited:
That feathers and 39c eat my face, the most cuts and razor burn that I have ever gotten was from this combination. I was lucky enough not to have to shave for the next 3 days so my face could recuperate

DE shaving for 4 months and had my first neck irritation. I've learned that if the blade is not up to the task, you've got to cease and desist. Going back for the 4th pass with a blade that could not finish the job on the 3rd pass is an act of futility. (And not talking a little touch up).

I was trying a Treet blade from a sampler pack. I normally use Personna Med Prep blades 5 times before changing to a new blade, and assumed the Treet was good for at least 3. It was serviceable, but not the same BBS I get from the Med Preps. I should have stopped at DFS. It wasn't terrible, just not what I had become accustomed to.

Did I get a bad blade? Did I somehow lather the Proraso wrong? is that a thing I should be aware of? Or did I become so comfortable with what I'm told are average blades that I was unprepared for a sharper blade?

It took me probably 10 shaves to get the proraso white in a tub right. I needed to use more product - way, way more product. And a little bit more water.

I was having great results with proraso blue in a tube, but was using more product.

When I skip shaving for a day, I usually get irritation on the bottom part of my neck. It's like the stubble is acting like sandpaper. I have coarse stubble and lots of it.

Today I learned that I can get a shave break and just shave lightly the bottom of my neck. No irritation and you can't see that I partly shaved.

It took me probably 10 shaves to get the proraso white in a tub right. I needed to use more product - way, way more product. And a little bit more water.

I was having great results with proraso blue in a tube, but was using more product.
The day after my last shave (3 days ago, now, my skin still hasn't recovered enough to put a blade to it), my face broke out like a teenager's. I've never had acne in my life. I'm sad to say, I'm afraid to use the Proraso again. I think I may be allergic to something in it.

Being relatively new, I had good results with my Asta SP's. I ran out and tried out the Rapira that came with my razor. There was noticeably more tugging, and forget going ATG with it. On the second shave, it was worse. I'll load up a new blade tomorrow and give it one more shot, but I think I learned that the Rapiras are not for me (at least in my Razorock). Maybe the Treets or 7 a.m.'s will be better.

The day after my last shave (3 days ago, now, my skin still hasn't recovered enough to put a blade to it), my face broke out like a teenager's. I've never had acne in my life. I'm sad to say, I'm afraid to use the Proraso again. I think I may be allergic to something in it.

I would recommend you to lather proraso on your arm and wait a few minutes before rinsing. If you get a rash, you are most likely allergic to something in it.

One of the first time I shaved with TOBS sandalwood, I got a massive irritation. I lathered some cream a few days later and let it react. Nothing. I never got this again and I think I just did a really poor job this one time and that the cream has nothing to do with it.

Good luck.

Top Bottom