What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

That doing a 1st pass up my neck rather than down significantly reduces irritation even with a second pass down. I may have a weird neck but most of it grows down except for 2 patches (one each side) that grow up and that's where the irritation usually occurs.

I learned that a repurposed metal pet food bowl can be used to make a good lather. Also, the Rapira Platinum Lux is a decent blade for me. Finally, an alum block and Thayer's alcohol-free witch hazel were great shaving investments.

Well it reminded me of the old truism that today's post-shave is tomorrow's pre-shave prep. I was up at 5 am yesterday for a long trip to a business meeting and in my hast forgot to moisturise after my shave. I paid for it today with a few nicks.

That the Fatip Piccolo's handle sucks. Too thin and small to get good control with the razor. Good thing I have a Grande as well, the handle is much better on that one.

Last edited:
Bending forward over the sink then tilting my head back so that I can see myself in the mirror helps to flatten out and stretch the skin on my neck. Doing this helps me get a better shave in that area.

- That anything made by Rapira will never touch my face again. After 2 Voskhod blades the last two shaves and the Rapira Platinum Lux this morning that they all only made it through a half pass will never see the light of day in my house again;

- That the couple tucks of Merkur blades that have been giving me a little trouble lately and not getting very good shaves from ended up saving the morning Rapira disaster half shave. It was loaded in my Ball End Tech with two blade shims and what a wonderful shave. Near BBS and no irritation. Couldn't ask for more after what started out real bleak.

I learned that a the 1904 closed comb I just bought misses hair, and requires another pass. And irritates my neck a bit. Tried it 4 times allready and am not impressed. Makes me sad cause the razor is beautiful and so well made. Gonna keep trying to learn it though, but irritation is a killer for me and I'll have none of it....

I'm getting a handle on the grain direction along the throat and under the jawbone. I'm a newbie and decided today to use a less aggressive Merkur 23C on the 2nd and 3rd pass with Shark blades to get the ATG and XTG down.

Top Bottom