What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

What's a Yingjili, and why so cheap? Thanks, dave

It's a Chinese safety razor, modeled after the Gillette Tech. As for why it's so cheap, I can only guess because it has a plastic handle and an alloy or zamak head. No steel or brass as far as I know. It's a great little shave for $1.80 and it even has free shipping. I saw a review of it on YouTube and figured I would check it out since its so cheap.

$sku_252347_1.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's a Chinese safety razor, modeled after the Gillette Tech. As for why it's so cheap, I can only guess because it has a plastic handle and an alloy or zamak head. No steel or brass as far as I know. It's a great little shave for $1.80 and it even has free shipping. I saw a review of it on YouTube and figured I would check it out since its so cheap.

View attachment 675836

Thanks. I need one!

Soaking a puck of Williams in hot water for at least 10 minutes before using it

makes it a very decent soap......

I loaded it with my Omega boar and face lathered it... got an awesome shave!

I knew this already but wanted to share it with you.

After using a non alcoholic homebrew AS for the last month or so, I kinda forgot my commercial AS can sting a little. Had a bit of a Kevin in Home Alone moment. [emoji13] Also, Feather blades seem to be good for 4 shaves at most for me. Number 5 was a bit rough today.

You don't need to spend a lot to get a great shave. This morning I used my Weishi long handle VDH soap and a GSB blade and got a very good shave. Then top it all of with some Old Spice after shave. That's living.

Last edited:
Schick L-Type Injectors give a *great* shave even with 2-days growth. With a Ted Pella (Personna?) blade I got to almost BBS with two passes and no irritation. I am very happy with my shave today.

Personna Lab Blues are GREAT!

:nuke::nuke: Fento 100% Pure Badger brush stinks! :nuke::nuke:

Summer Storm By Chiseled Face Groomatorium has a very interesting scent.

The last 2 Astra blades I used left me with irritation. Although I was getting a closer shave, than I was with Derbys, I just didn't want to buy a whole box. So I did the only logical thing (said sarcastically) and bought a box of Personna Lab Blues off Amazon (w/ Prime shipping). I've had two shaves and both have been REALLY smooth and I was left with very little irritation. We'll see how they are in the long run, but I have 99 more blades to get to know! LOL

I do not recommend the Fento 100% Pure Badger brush! I got one as a gift, so had to give it at try. First, it almost looks like the knot is coming out or something. In the middle of the brush, there is a large clump of bristles folded over. This affects about 1/5 of the bristles. so when looking down at the brush, about 1/5 of the dome is missing (folded over). Also, the thing stinks! I've tried washing with dish soap several times, creating lather and leaving it to dry, then washing it out. And soaking it in a white vinegar & water solution. However, once it gets wet, it just reeks. I shaved with it this morning and could smell that odor all morning. The soap I used this morning was Summer Storm By Chiseled Face Groomatorium. Has a good strong smell, couldn't hide the funk. The used Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave and still smelled the funk. NEVER AGAIN!!! Luckily I have a Plissoft out for delivery right now! So, the Fento is Finito!

Summer Storm By Chiseled Face Groomatorium was also a gift. I had a Chiseled Face Groomatorium sample pack on my wish list, as I thought it would be fun to try some of the scents. I got a whole tub of Summer Storm instead. Every time I smell it reminds me of something, but can't put my finger on it. Really earthy. I couldn't shave with this every day, but I'll use it from time to time.

Anyone else try using a Fento brush or Summer Storm soap? What are your thoughts?

I've learned that I'm the only one who cares whether or not I got a BBS shave. And there's a probably a 75% chance I'll cause irritation trying to get it so to hell with it. If I stumble on to it great, but otherwise DFS is good enough for me. Nobody but me touches my face after I shave anyway. Heck, even my wife doesn't care.
Amen.

After a 4th good, but not very comfortable shave with an Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, I'm definitely going to use the rest of the tuck, but I won't be buying any more - for the quality they cost more than they're worth

-That waiting over 2 weeks for the release and shipment of a soap is well worth the wait. I got a DGS with Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Russian Leather shave soap this morning. Did get a little irritation from over doing it on the touch up pass. This has to be the easiest soap I have to get a lather from, and I thought MdC was easy.

Got a sub-par shave tonight, went back and did a quick one pass with a feather AC. Problem solved.
Now time to figure out what I did wrong.....probably poor shave angle.

Top Bottom