What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that I really like the Shark Super Chrome blades. I still have 10 different blades to try out of a variety pack. It will have to take something great to beat the Sharks.

It’s not worth it to me to try to coax a third shave from a Feather blade. The first two shaves are nothing short of excellent, so why follow that up with a third, mediocre shave in order to save about 2 dollars a month?
No idea, but I easily get six or seven shaves from a Feather blade.
The blade looses that incredible feeling of sharpness indeed, but gains on smoothness, and is still sharp enough to cut my beard easily.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Uberlather+!

Tried castor oil instead of glycerin for a lather booster on top of a Williams puck, beaten with a Proraso Green-loaded Semogue 830.

Razor actually seemed to overglide, but it was a first shave with a new Maggard's v2 head. Lemony-cool-eucalyptus thing going on, nicely. Finished with Ghost Town barber (great cool burn) and I'm still marveling. Bears some study in retrospect. Someone here had mentioned the castor oil trick, and I had the stuff on hand from making pre-shave oil (olive oil/castor oil/essential oil).

AA

I can trim five or ten minutes off my shave time by eliminating a couple of steps. But then I might as well use a kitchen knife.

Instead of pre-shave oil followed by super-sticking a cream and a soap (my normal routine), this time I skipped the PSO and just did a quick lather with a shave stick. I ended up with a very close shave, but oh! the burn. My neck was on fire, and the redness is finally starting to subside a couple of hours later.

Lesson learned.

I need to mail razor blades to my hotel more than five days in advance (Texas to California).

The blade I mailed myself finally showed up this afternoon, after I had to shave with a BIC disposable the last two days!

Feathers are nice blades after you have some experience. I still felt a bit more of an after burn than usual blades but it did provide a very close shave after 2 passes. A lot more enjoyable than when I used one after only a few months experience with a DE. I still think Personna Reds/IP/Platinum and Voskhod are just a tad more comfortable but Feather just seems a nick closer.

I always forget that in a Universal Whole Blade shavette you can load a whole blade or a half blade.
With the Half blade shavette, nope.

Use MORE PRODUCT!

Overloaded my brush and had a terrific shave with an old blade. Excess (and then some) lather made all the difference. :thumbup:

I opened up my Slim Adjustable to 9 today -- something I'd never done before -- and achieved in two passes what I normally do in three.

Second, I should have dialed it back down while doing touch-up -- it left my neck a little bit pink.

Last edited:
Top Bottom