What's new

Spectacles

I have known for some time that my venerable old Oliver Peoples Riley black frame glasses needed retirement. I began a search in earnest some two years ago for a replacement. I have always favored a round lens due to the fact that I have a round face, but I thought that this time I would play around with the juxtaposition of a rectangular or even totally square frame. I went back and forth and after many painstaking trips to lots of locations to try on glasses I settled on a new company called Warby Parker. I sat down for my eye examination and we began talking about my decision. In one swift moment my confidence was dashed. He told me that you get what you pay for and that they have clients that have been trying out Warby Parker and over time they end up in the shop looking for a repair. I ended up going with a pair of glasses from Lunor, the second runner up had been C.W. Dixey & Son. I know I shall be happy with my decision having been so long in coming.

I actually switched to online eyeglasses (single vision; I haven't tried bifocals/progressives yet which I have heard are trickier). I'm completely happy with my Zenni Optical glasses. Nice selection, good prices. The only downside is if you don't like them, it's 50% refund or 100% credit. Other places give 100% refunds.

Enjoy your new glasses! Round lenses are harder to find these days.

I've owned my current pair of Warby Parker frames for going on 3 years. My optician tried to scare me into forking over $250 for new frames and lenses after my last exam (and that was AFTER my insurance discount). I said no thanks, got my prescription and left. I did another WP home try on, and am ordering a new pair that my insurance will cover the entire cost. I can also send my frames in to WP when my prescription is updated. They replace the lenses for $80. Thats how much my optician wanted to charge me for no glare coating!

Don't let the optician fool you. Do you know how much they ACTUALLY pay for those frames that get sold to you for over $300? I've been told its less than $20. I think that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but lets just say they aren't making their money off of eye exams.

I ended up going with my gut feeling in the beginning and got a pair of Lunor frames. I had been eyeing that brand for some years now and I am in love with my choice, even as expensive as they are. I retired my venerable Oliver Peoples fames after nearly 12 years of wear, I fully expect to get that out of this pair. Even so, the wife thinks I am slightly nuts, though she is on her third pair since we got married, 5 years ago...

I have prescrption sunglasses from Costco that came out great. Good polarized lenses, accurate 'script. I spent much more on my current "nightstand" glasses that have a chip in the lens coating at the edge.

I've been meaning to try an online shop for a while. Next pair will be from there, or at least Costco. Not some eyeglass shop for $400.

My last pair, well, my oldest pair have been retired after nearly 12 years of faithful service. I could have gotten every bit more of that out of them if I was willing to put up with the dulling finish and stretched out stance. I have every intention of holding on to the new frames I have for at least that long, so at $480 or $40 per year, I am quiet satisfied

Legion

Staff member
I am currently wearing a nice pair from a shop which I believe to be affiliated with a big online brand. $145, with high index, thin lenses. Gave them my prescription and had them two days later. My last (backup) pair came from the Aussie equivalent of Warby Parker. They were fine as well.

Normally I am all for supporting the B&M shops. But I HAVE to give the optometrist the money for the prescription. And I did. The glasses, I'll give him first shot at it, but....

Have yall tried walmart. I broke my glasses while in San Antonio last May went to Walmart and I got my wifes and my glasses for $40 a piece, out the door. They were just some no frills basic frames with basic lenses. They came in like a week later and the lady made sure they were properly adjusted and stuff.

Normally I am all for supporting the B&M shops. But I HAVE to give the optometrist the money for the prescription. And I did. The glasses, I'll give him first shot at it, but....

Exactly. My optometrist was going to charge me an extra $70 for high index lenses, another $80 for anti glare coating. Oh and after all, my vision insurance discount only goes towards the frames.

It's a racket. All of our frames get made in the same factory in china. Put a designer name on them and you can mark them up 500%

I bought 4 "aviator style" frames all at once back in 1974 (yea 40 years ago).

I am still using them.

Many nose piece and ear piece ends have been replaced on them but the frames are as tight and sound as they were when I bought them 40 years ago.

Lots of glass has been in and out of them over the decades but the frames are still rock solid

They are stainless steel Gemini Europa ("West" Germany) that were made for the shipping trade (fishermen, deck hands, etc) so they are HEAVY duty and do not mind the constant exposure to salt air.

I doubt that I will need another pair of frames as all 4 are still just like new.

proxy.php

Lunors are great frames. There is a real difference between the quality of these frames and the stuff you get at Costco or online. They will last forever if you take care of them. A lot of folks here seem to be willing to spend hundreds on shoes or suits but not on glasses. Beyond helping us see, glasses are the first thing most people notice.

Top Bottom