What's new

Any young guys like opus 1870?

Hey,

After a year of DE shaving I thought I'd treat myself to one of the 'proper' frags. Previously I've been using proraso splash, old spice white water and Hugo boss 'bottled'.

I was in a shaving shop in Leeds and sprayed on a bit of opus just because it was there...I ended up leaving the shop with some proraso pre-shave, which may I add is great!

Later on I met up with my girlfriend and she really liked the smell if the opus. I purchased some in an outlet store this weekend and have been wearing it for the last few days.

Now...after looking around on b&b many people say it is for the older gentleman but I love it! Any other young uns enjoy opus?

I should add that my gf and myself are both 25.

Any other suggestions for other frags?

Thanks!

I think it's awesome. Sorta feel like I don't have the gravitas to wear it, but I still would if I had a bottle. (Only tried a sample, alas.)

I really wanted to like it as I tend to enjoy woody scents. But...there's something in there that I don't like at all. Rose? Not really sure. It's a matter of taste, not age. In fact, in my late teens and early 20's, I wore a cologne associated to the older crowd. I remember being complimented by the ladies all the time. If you like it, wear it.

I'm 38 and I kind of dig it. I'm not really big on cedar either as a prominent note in frags either, but I like this one. Black pepper and cedar is mostly what I get..... but it's not linear and drys down nice. It's complex enough that I really enjoy it. There's something appealing about it that you don't expect..... and I can't quite put my finger on it..... but it's a good one in my book.

Ben

I am not young (except at heart) and I enjoy using the Opus 1870 that I picked up a while ago. Liked it so much I got a second one put away when the first one is gone.

Very unusual scent but enjoyable.

Reminds me of walking into a cabinet shop of saw mill the wood/ceder scent is so pronounced

proxy.php

Thanks for the replies guys.

Should add that the 100ml edts in the outlets on the uk go for £55 - a substantial saving!

I've got a tube of the Opus shave cream that I like a lot. It's a pleasant scent while I shave and fades relatively quickly - which is what I want from my shave creams and soaps.

I don't think Opus 1870 has a specific age niche at all, it should be perfectly wearable for any age. I used to love it and even bought a bottle but ended up selling it once I realized that it gives me headaches and has a huge dose of ISO E Super which (turns out) I can't stand. Sad that most good cedar-heavy scents have this eternally lasting ingredient that's hard to ignore once you start smelling it in so many modern frags.

If ISO E Super is not a concern, Monocle's Scent One Hinoki is arguably a better take on the woody/cedar theme. But Creed Windsor is probably the best cedar (and rose, let's not forget the rose!) frag a man can get.

I am finding more frequently that what I love as a scent for shaving, or for an aftershave balm or lotion, is probably the opposite of what I want to wear all day. I might love a splurge shave with a soap heavy on lime or cloves or rose, etc, but that isn't what I want to wear at work or watching a play downtown surrounded by hoity-toits.

Whatever you like and when - go with it, unless people are turning up their noses in offense because you poured it on too heavily or at the wrong time (say a winter scent that might not work at all during summer, or you smell like an old lady from 10 feet away).

I recently picked up sampler from Penhaligon's and I like the Opus 1870 the best. Pretty smooth scent. I have been using Dolce and Gabbana's The One. I frequently get positive feedback on the D&G. Though the Opus 1870 is a great choice and will soon be added to the rotation!

In terms of age, I would say it depends more on how you present yourself whether the scent would be fitting or not.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'm 58 and like it. It is a woody-chypre-rose scent. Maybe rose is associated with older folks, but it is a classic scent enjoyed by all ages. That isn't to say some people of any age won't care for a particular fragrance, many rose scents I do not care for.

Cheers, Steve

I recently purchased a sampler and wore the 1870 yesterday. I received several compliments through out the day. Great scent!

I like Opus. I'm mid-40's. I have the cologne, shaving cream, ASB, and even the body wash. Of course I dont use all of those on the same day. A little dab of this stuff goes a long way (in a good way, of course)

I'm 37. I love Opus 1870. It's old school smooooooooth, totally classy, and utterly contemporary in its lean, minimalist style.

Top Bottom