What's new

local cobbler or factory repair (Red Wing Boots)

I have a couple year old pair of black Red Wing Beckmans that I am quite pleased with, but I've worn them hard and the soles will soon need to be replacements. I'm in DC and there is no truly local Red Wing store, but some within a 20 minute drive. The cost is $95, which strikes me as fair, but takes approximately four weeks, which is longer than I'd ideally like to be without them.

There are some good local cobblers downtown I've used for dress shoes and I'm considering the option of having it done locally vs shipping them to Red Wing. This would get the boots back to me much more quickly.

Do any of you with Beckmans (Gentleman Traveler) have any advice based on personal experience?

Thank you in advance.

Haven't used the Red Wing service but I have used Allen Edmonds'. Very happen with them. Shoes that I've sent have been returned in great repair.
For boots, I think that I would go with the company repair.

I sent my Red Wing loggers off for re-soling a few years back, I don't remember the turnaround, though. It was 95 dollars back then, too, at least 5 years ago.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If the local guy is good, I would use them but that's a very big if.

That would be my preference, too.

Having a pair of Gentleman Travellers myself, I can't say that they are the uber-high-end type of shoe that I would want to send back to the factory for on-the-last recrafting. They are more the rough-and-ready type of shoe that can be resoled by any excellent cobbler.

I've not yet had to resole any of my redwings but i will say that theres a great shoe repair place off 29 in Arlington called Torrey's Repair shop or something. Really good place even though it looks sketchy. I dont know any shops in the city that i'd recommend. I took a pair of boots to a place off wisconsin in glover park a year ago and they were way over priced and seemed to only want to do glued soles.

good luck.

I would send them back to Red Wing. They are the ones that put the boots together so they will be the experts on re-soling them. I have had very bad experiences with local people re-soling my footwear so I send them back to the factory every time. No need to possible destroying a pair of good footwear on a silly risk.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

That would be my preference, too.

Having a pair of Gentleman Travellers myself, I can't say that they are the uber-high-end type of shoe that I would want to send back to the factory for on-the-last recrafting. They are more the rough-and-ready type of shoe that can be resoled by any excellent cobbler.

In the end, this is the way I felt. I found a good place and talked to the cobbler, who told me he could do it, bu t that i could wait a bit and didn't yet need it. This was a good sign. I took them in last week and just got them back, and he did a great job. Giving them up for a month and having to drive a good ways to get to a store (or ship) just ended up being too much hassle in the end. I'll see how they wear, but they look great and it is nearly identical save the logo.

Attachments

• $RedWing2.jpg
    $RedWing2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 128
  • $RedWing.jpg
    $RedWing.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 128
Looks like he just removed the old rubber half soles and put on new ones? The original leather soles are on there still. Not really a problem but not an entire new resole either. Depends on what he charged you on whether it was a good deal or not.

One of the advantages to a full factory recrafting is that you get a totally new sole, including the welt strip and hot cork midsoles. Not always necessary but often nice. That said, I do like to support local shoe repair shops.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would send them back to Red Wing. They are the ones that put the boots together so they will be the experts on re-soling them. I have had very bad experiences with local people re-soling my footwear so I send them back to the factory every time. No need to possible destroying a pair of good footwear on a silly risk.
My two cents worth.
Johnny
I see your two cents and include 2 more.

Top Bottom