What's new

Weight training

Hey guys,

I have recently taken up heavy weight training, I am a keen rugby player and up to about 3 months ago I had not lifted any weights. Just trying to get a feel for any other of you guys that also follow this hobby and if you have any info or advice for a 19 yo beginner.

cheers

Since you are lifting 'heavy', only work out one body part per day or two at the most. If you do two, make sure they are 'opposing' parts: shoulders/back,biceps/triceps,chest/abs,thighs,calves.

To mix up the routine, do 3 sets. whatever your starting weight is for the first set, add 10 lbs for the 2nd set,and then another 10 for the third. I normally go 12 reps first set, 10 reps 2nd, and 8 on the third. Trust me, your muscles will get a pump and be tired out.

Marty

Since you are lifting 'heavy', only work out one body part per day or two at the most. If you do two, make sure they are 'opposing' parts: shoulders/back,biceps/triceps,chest/abs,thighs,calves.

To mix up the routine, do 3 sets. whatever your starting weight is for the first set, add 10 lbs for the 2nd set,and then another 10 for the third. I normally go 12 reps first set, 10 reps 2nd, and 8 on the third. Trust me, your muscles will get a pump and be tired out.

Marty

+1 on the pyramid. My former strength coach recommended a 7 set pyramid for bench press and squats/leg thrusts: with reps of 8,6,4,3,2,1,4 (squats were a bit different with higher reps.) Each new step up added 10 pounds, with 4 and 3 being the same. The other body parts were generally three sets each.

The extended pyramid for bench press can take some getting accustomed to, and it's not unusual to not finish this for the first month or so. But, your body slowly adjusts until it's not a problem.

Good luck!

For Maximum strength you really want to be lifting as much as you can for roughly 3 to 6 reps - roughly 85/95% of your one rep maximum.

BUT, before reaching this stage you will need a very good foundation. Build up starting with fairly light weights for 3 sets of 20 ish reps, and increase weight ps EVERY session so that you are keeping in th 20-15 rep range - this should get your muscles used to lifting. Eventually you can drop down to 2 sets x 10ish reps and eventually you will reach 2 sets x 3-6 reps.

Stick to compound (big) movements - squats, chest press, rows, shoulder press - leave cables and isolation moves to the bodybuilders.

Once you've trained for maximum strength you are probably going to want to switch your training to focus on maximum power - either with weights or using Plyometrics.

Hope this helps.

Overtraining has caused ouch in my shoulders. To avoid this my recommendation is to work a muscle group only once per week. Let your body heal and you will gain faster. With big muscle groups like pecs and last I find that weight jumps of 30 or 40 pounds is about right for my pyramid.
I like the company EAS. as far as supplements go, but that is a totally personal preference.
You may also want to think about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
Good Luck
Doug

Do it right, and buy and read this book. Now. Seriously. Forget the title, it's applicable to everyone.

It focuses on compound lifts, proper diet and nutrition, cardio work, stretching (how can you do good squats if you aren't actually capable of squatting *correctly* without weight? Hint: most people can't) and everything you need to just be stronger *and* healthier, period.

Not affilated, but of the dozens and dozens of books out there (yes, I have read that many) it is one of the best, hands down. Again, this is not just for 'scrawny' guys, it is for everyone with a brain who wants to approach this topic armed with quiality information.

Keep in mind that this book *is* geared toward those who want to get *big*, and is further aimed at ectomorphs, so they have you eating a BUNCH o' food.

If you don't want to get huge or aren't an ectomorph, just don't eat so much; simple.

For a rugby player, I'd recommend you work on explosion and power. Squats, deadlifts and powercleans will all help with that. Of course, you'll want to round that workout plan out with some lifts for your shoulders, arms, and chest (shoulder presses, chinups/pullups, flys, curls, etc.). Combine that with plyometrics and some resistance running, throw in some hardcore crunches and you'll be good to go.

This is just my opinion, but you really don't want to get the 'bodybuilder physique.' Add muscle, but don't blast your chest and arms to the point where you have a massive torso resting on two spindly little legs.

I weight lift for the sake of weightlifting (ie: not for another sport), but the biggest tip for me was a very simple one that took forever to get through my head: quite simply, EAT.

All the work in the world won't show results if your body doesn't get what it needs. For years I ate like I was dieting and trained to gain mass. It never worked. Eat well, eat clean, and train. Give yourself at least one day off to recover and to have a cheat meal if you wish (cheat that is, recovery day should not be optional).

FWIW

PS: At your age, don't even think about some of the questionable suppliments out there (not saying you are), if you know to what I'm referring. All you need is good food, lots of it, good protein powder, and perhaps creatine and glutamine if you want to go that route.

Overtraining has caused ouch in my shoulders. To avoid this my recommendation is to work a muscle group only once per week. Let your body heal and you will gain faster. With big muscle groups like pecs and last I find that weight jumps of 30 or 40 pounds is about right for my pyramid.
I like the company EAS. as far as supplements go, but that is a totally personal preference.
You may also want to think about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
Good Luck
Doug

FWIW, I strongly recommend against any sort of sups. of this nature (test boosters, etc.) at his age. At 19, he's go more than enough natural hormones floating around his body. External supplementation is either going to be wasteful (and expensive) or mess with a system that's already in hyperdrive and will remain so for the next few years. Either way, not a good idea, IMHO.

Good Luck
Doug

He DOES NOT need Tribulus.

FWIW, I strongly recommend against any sort of sups. of this nature (test boosters, etc.) at his age. At 19, he's go more than enough natural hormones floating around his body. External supplementation is either going to be wasteful (and expensive) or mess with a system that's already in hyperdrive and will remain so for the next few years. Either way, not a good idea, IMHO.

I second this. The only supplementation a 19 year old needs is good protein and vitamins.

Thanks for all the great advice guys, very much appreciated. I think I have taken a little piece of information from each reply and putting it all together to find what is best for me. Linking back to shaving it looks like different methods work for different people.

I have now considered, nutrition as a big factor which I did not do so before.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom