What's new

Thoughts on new Gillette Flexball

I suspect that they have kept a lid on it for four years now the same way that most people don't even know that you can still get a modern DE razor and blades. The shaving market is a low information market, people don't do a lot of research and only know what is advertised to them and what they see at eye level on the shelves.

Very true. This is why if I were in the boardroom of a Gillette competitor I would force Gillette's hand by introducing a Guard clone in the USA & Europe. The secret to the Guard is the long plastic toothed comb which would hardly be patentable since it's been around for damn near a hundred years. What better way to beat your competitor than to force them to sell something that drastically cuts their profit margin? The consumer would win as well as we would have the best disposable made as well as possibly be rid of all this silly multi-blade BS. :glare:

not sure if that dude has but here is a review that was posted today if you are interested.
I bought the Gillette Guard as well and plan to give it a go. I think if it works well for me I'll buy a bunch for my dad who refuses to give up the carts, but looks for the cheapest he can find.

Seems he has and liked it as well.
While I prefer the straight for my face, I prefer the Fusion for my head. The straight delivers a better shave, but it is too tedious working around my ears.
The Fusion delivers a BBS with no irritation or nicks.
I can't say the same for the Mach-3... terrible razor.
The problem I am faced with now is the Fusion Proglide is going the way of the Mach-3. I am starting to get some irritation from it, and I suspect it is from the little rubber strip that is supposed to help in pulling your skin tight.
I've been using the Schick Hydro-5 the last week, and I am not impressed. It is better than the Mach-3 from an irritation standpoint, but I have a couple of nicks.

Another B&B user tried the Guard for his headshave and was not impressed with the results... seemed to not be able to get the BBS "shine"

I use the Guard for head shaving and really like it. It does start to fade after about 10 shaves, but at 50 cents a cart it's much cheaper per shave that using a Fusion. I don't shoot for BBS so not worried about the shine, but I do a nice 4 pass shave and get a DFS.

I'm not really sure how this flex ball thing will help. I'm not to caught up with all the new bells and whistles company's are offering. For the price you pay I would hope it shaves your face for you. I'm so glad I'm off the Fusion train and stuck in the De world now. It actually makes a dreaded task something to look forward to.

While I prefer the straight for my face, I prefer the Fusion for my head. The straight delivers a better shave, but it is too tedious working around my ears.
The problem I am faced with now is the Fusion Proglide is going the way of the Mach-3. I am starting to get some irritation from it, and I suspect it is from the little rubber strip that is supposed to help in pulling your skin tight.
I've been using the Schick Hydro-5 the last week, and I am not impressed. It is better than the Mach-3 from an irritation standpoint, but I have a couple of nicks.

Another B&B user tried the Guard for his headshave and was not impressed with the results... seemed to not be able to get the BBS "shine"

Try an Injector for head shaving if you do not wish to use a DE/SE.

They are very good for giving BBS on the head.

Zero interest in Gillette's newest overpriced useless gimmick.

On most days, I use a Gillette Trac II (first released all the way back in 1971, now an antique at 43 years old), which does a perfect job for me. I don't need anything more. And I have over two years worth of blades for it, that I picked up dirt cheap.

I use my DE once or twice a week, just to remain in practice with it. :tongue_sm

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

never shaved my head, but it might be worth it to you to try the Axe cartridge/razor. I've got 12 shaves on it so far, 13 will be today.

While you can say that this place is mostly a rebellion against the cost and nature of the modern cartridge razor, even this isn't immune from YMMV. I applaud those willing to take the time and effort to see if the Flexball is the gizmo that makes the multibladed cartridge better than before.

I am, however, waiting for the almost inevitable introduction of the Flexball Two and the TriflexSpheriod, followed by the FlexQuadball and finally the PentaFlexMaxball, "Because if one ball is smooth, two balls are better", followed by "Three balls for better shaves", then "Four balls always gets you a walk to smooth shaving" and finally "Each blade has a ball".

I see the Flexball is already available in a power version, so multiple micropulsing balls are only a matter time.

I think I'll wait for the dust to settle.

That's a lot of balls.

I wonder, if you pump the 'ball' do the blades increase in size? This may be the easy gunking up they get? Try letting some air out so they fit the razor head a little better.:lol:

Fortunately, I had finished my drink before reading these. :lol: BTW, not interested.

marty

I'm not interested, now if they send me a free one like they did when they rolled out the first of their 3 blade monsters I might give it a try.

I bought one today to try it and when you look at the pictures below you will notice that only the handle has changed not the cartridge. Does this razor shave better than a normal handle and the answer is yes but it is only noticeable on my neck. I did find about 5 small red dots on my face (micro nicks?) which have never shown up before when using a 5 blade cartridge razor so I am wondering if this handle is more likely to cause nicks than the previous handle. With the previous handle and the Schick Hydro 5 I never got any nicks.

This is the fourth cartridge I have ever used (1 Schick Hydro 5, 1 Gillette Fusion Proglide, 1 Schick Quattro Titanium, and now Gillette Fusion Proglide with Flexball). I get about a month per cartridge with the Gillette Fusion Proglide and Schick Hydro 5. I have used the Schick Quattro about 4 times now and it clogs very easy compared to the 5 blade razors. Once I am done testing the Schick Quattro and Gillette Flexball I will be testing a Gillette Mach 3.

$IMG_20140602_171534.jpg$IMG_20140602_171554.jpg

never shaved my head, but it might be worth it to you to try the Axe cartridge/razor. I've got 12 shaves on it so far, 13 will be today.

The Axe is the Schick Hydro-5, which I've been using for a week and I'm not impressed as I mentioned above.
I used it on my face a couple of days on vacation and it did okay. A little rough under the jaw in front of my ears... one of the harder spots with a straight but not normally an issue for the Fusion.

I bought one today to try it and when you look at the pictures below you will notice that only the handle has changed not the cartridge. Does this razor shave better than a normal handle and the answer is yes but it is only noticeable on my neck. I did find about 5 small red dots on my face (micro nicks?) which have never shown up before when using a 5 blade cartridge razor so I am wondering if this handle is more likely to cause nicks than the previous handle. With the previous handle and the Schick Hydro 5 I never got any nicks.

This is the fourth cartridge I have ever used (1 Schick Hydro 5, 1 Gillette Fusion Proglide, 1 Schick Quattro Titanium, and now Gillette Fusion Proglide with Flexball). I get about a month per cartridge with the Gillette Fusion Proglide and Schick Hydro 5. I have used the Schick Quattro about 4 times now and it clogs very easy compared to the 5 blade razors. Once I am done testing the Schick Quattro and Gillette Flexball I will be testing a Gillette Mach 3.

I wonder if the ball encourages more pressure which might explain the nicks. The previous reviewer had no issue but was using a heavier handle so that might explain the difference.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The Axe is the Schick Hydro-5, which I've been using for a week and I'm not impressed as I mentioned above.
I used it on my face a couple of days on vacation and it did okay. A little rough under the jaw in front of my ears... one of the harder spots with a straight but not normally an issue for the Fusion.
Only 3 blades though

I can't get a decent shave out of any cartridge so I staying with the DE. However I find it hard to believe this new handle can achieve a better shave than a straight razor. Now P&G have strayed into fiction.

I used cartridge razors for many years and found they work pretty good but not the best and can only get a really good shave from certain ones ..IMO the best shave I will ever get is from a straight razor (The safety razors are getting there but I am still a newbie and working on technique)...
Back to the commercial ..
What kind of shaving creme did he use ?? I didn't see any but used a spray bottle full of water to shave with is a load of crap and is asking for bad results... He used a disposable instead of a old fashion with proper technique and lathering ...
Personal I would like see this

Gillette Flexball with shave Gel in a can

VS

Straight Razor or Safety Razors with proper Technique and lathering

That would be a true challenge

I could spend $42 on a razor and 100 blades (assuming a $30 razor budget, and Israeli Personnas with UK packaging from WCS [my preferred blade] at $12 for 100)?
Where are you getting Personna Israli for that price ????

Thanks
Jay Sr

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom