What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, May 2014 - Rolls Razor

It's the most ubiquitous razor that no one's ever heard of. If you've been out looking through antique stores and thrift shops you've definitely run into them, more often than not with a crazy high price tag to boot. But relatively few people outside our circles seem to have ever even heard of them, and of those few who have even fewer have ever tried to shave with them.

This month let's give a little love to the Rolls Razor. Who's got 'em? Who's using 'em? What do you think of 'em? What do you know about 'em?

Got'em (have several)
Use'em
Like'em

A great simple restoration project that anyone can do. A good user grade Rolls can be found for as little as $10 or less. It's best to get the blade shave ready outside of the Rolls on a good hone, and just use the Rolls hone to maintain it when need. Once "shave ready" they work very well.

We really should start a Rolls restoration thread, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in the Rolls at this time.

It's true that the Rolls Razor is in every antique store and there are dozens on the 'Bay. They must have been very popular at one time. I have heard from some straight shavers who have used the Rolls, but I'm a bit afraid to do so.
Anybody here ever shave with one?

I have one and I use it on two or three consecutive days every couple of months. I like how it shaves and I also like the sermon of using this intriguing mechanic toy to keep the edge keen, but then I am just too lazy to use it more often, I really seem to be a "no stropping, no honing - man"! :laugh:

I believe it would be even a better shaver if the edge bevel angle would be a bit shallower. I know this can be done and has been done by honing it "outside the box", but I don't want to do this because then the edge can not be maintained with the original honing and stropping mechanism anymore, which for me is the whole point using this razor!

I really like mine. It's been a project getting it honed correctly - I'm not a straight razor user and I didn't want to buy more gear. Since I got it sharp enough though, the shaves have been great. The wiki article is very helpful, and there's another thread about using lapping film over the hone, and dressing the strop. (FeOx is your friend. CrOx didn't cut it for me.)

I have one that belonged to my father but not sure if he ever used it. It was my first break away from the cartridge world and my wallet approved of the decision. I finally came to the conclusion that although it can provide a nice shave, it is somewhat of a leisure activity. It is time consuming to hone and strop and not like the graceful sweeping movements that can be displayed with a straight razor while stropping. The mechanics of the system give the impression that it is an off to the races device and just push and pull with abandon. I'm sure plenty of users tried this method and ended up with broken stones. A gentler touch while paying attention to what you are doing is required.

While it may seem that I have been somewhat negative, fear not. This is the "Desert Island" razor and will still be ready for use should you die on the island and another unfortunate soul be washed ashore. I always envisioned this as the razor to bring on a Trans-Atlantic voyage. Honing and stropping while sitting in a deck chair on the main deck, pointing to the ocean in response to those who humpfed at your audacity to do such a thing in public.

I kniw what you mean about leisurely but as far as the stropping goes, it only takes about a ninety seconds at the rate of one full back and forth stroke per. (4 way technique from the Wiki plus original instructions.) Slapping the blade on the strop doesn't seem to bother it. Honing is rarer but you're right, slower, and requires some concentration. Mine will definately go into the rotation once I get bored with it this go-round. For now it's my daily driver, and I need to hone up a second blade to "rest" the first.

I have one, and I used my Dad's when I was in high school. It worked then, but now I can't seem to get the blade right to get a good shave. I'll keep researching the Rolls threads for new ideas!

:):)
I have one, and I used my Dad's when I was in high school. It worked then, but now I can't seem to get the blade right to get a good shave. I'll keep researching the Rolls threads for new ideas!
See the thread linked to in post no.9 above.
You need to hone the blade outside the case to get it shave ready.
I'm in UK but I'll happily hone it for you if you like :)

Saw one of these at an antique store yesterday. Love the Art Deco look if the case but the razor was a bit intimidating for a newb like me.

:):)
See the thread linked to in post no.9 above.
You need to hone the blade outside the case to get it shave ready.
I'm in UK but I'll happily hone it for you if you like :)
Our friend Bayamontate honed the blade, but it still is a rough shave. To be fair, I have a coarse beard, but I would dearly like to make this work. I think I used my Dad's until I went to college, and it was too odd to use in the dorm.

After honing (and especially after finishing on lapping film) all my Rolls bkades are initially a bit harsh.
Pasting the case strop with feox, the blade becomes progressively smoother with every shave and stropping while maintaining its sharpness

Can you direct me to a source for the strop feox?
A while ago I spotted some on ebay, "some" meaning a minimum quantity of several pounds which would last me for several lives, but it doesn't cost much. I haven't bought it yet though.

Top Bottom