What's new

Tobacquisitions for May 2014

Excited this new pipe landed, Chacom Maya Poker as well as 4oz of last months blend from russ at PC.

$uploadfromtaptalk1401935088079.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1401935088079.jpg

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1401935103671.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1401935103671.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 91
Anyone new to Red Virginia should make sure you like it before you by load up the truck as a lot of people I know who only smoke flakes find the reds don't agree with them and gives them heartburn. I'm waiting on a order from Peretti's for there Smith's Own and the Tashkent.

Nice score!

I got the photo, below. Also I jarred my Boswell order, 1/2lb per jar, same as Milan. Also two 1oz bags per jar (placed in the jars in their bags). Also the 4oz of latakia had to go in a jar not in its bag. Anyway the photo below is only the Milan order.
What size jars did you use?

My concerns about upcoming FDA regulations breaking small blenders like Boswell and Milan combined with an unexpected tax refund resulted in me starting a true cellar. I did the math and I can smoke a bowl a month for 40 years if I have 3 pounds.

From Milan: 5 pounds of Sultan's Blend, 3oz of Neapolitan, and a whole bunch of 1oz bags of others to try:
  • Sheik's Delight
  • King's Ransom (actually 2oz of this one, it sounds good)
  • Our Mixture 965
  • Our London Dock
  • Sunset Rum
  • Peaches & Cream
  • Colonial Pastime
  • Cherry Bon Bon
The Milan order isn't in this photo. I jarred it before remembering to photograph it; I'll have to get a photo of the jars at home. Milan's pricing is much easier to swallow so I was able to order more. http://www.milantobacco.com/milanpipetobacco.htm

How does King's Ransom compare to Sultan's Blend? And...how do they both compare to Northwoods(I love that blend). I just placed a order for 8oz of King's Ransom based on a recommendation on this forum(December 2014 acquisition thread).

Last edited:
What size jars did you use?

Ball brand pint jars.

How does King's Ransom compare to Sultan's Blend? And...how do they both compare ft o Northwoods(I love that blend). I just placed a order for 8oz of King's Ransom based on a recommendation on this forum(December 2014 acquisition thread).
I too love Northwoods.

King's Ransom is more of a straightforward English compared to Sultan's Blend's unique nature that somewhat defies description.

I haven't smoked Northwoods in forever...I should have a bowl of that tonight, come to think of it. Comparing by memory, KR is slightly more plain. It still has a nice sweetness to it but Northwoods seems to have that something special.

Sultan's Blend compared to Northoods, I find it tough to compare to anything really. If I've got a hankerin' for one then the other won't suffice.

Ball brand pint jars.

I too love Northwoods.

King's Ransom is more of a straightforward English compared to Sultan's Blend's unique nature that somewhat defies description.

I haven't smoked Northwoods in forever...I should have a bowl of that tonight, come to think of it. Comparing by memory, KR is slightly more plain. It still has a nice sweetness to it but Northwoods seems to have that something special.

Sultan's Blend compared to Northoods, I find it tough to compare to anything really. If I've got a hankerin' for one then the other won't suffice.
Thanks for the description/comparison.

Yeah, that Chacom Maya Poker is really nice looking. I've come to realize that I don't like the most common, classy, classic briar looks, and pokers/cherrywoods are the shape I really like. Some day when I'm satisfied with my cellar I'll get more interested in acquiring nice pipes and probably get something like that.

So, reminded by this thread that I'm due for smoking some Northwoods having nigh forgotten how it is and remembering mainly how I feel about it, I loaded some tonight.

I have a new drying technique that I've been trying. Humidity around here is always high but is a miraculously low 50% in my house right now, still not enough to appreciably dry tobacco just by leaving it out for a few minutes. I have a small nightlight that's on a Z-arm on my alarm clock; it can be raised or lowered and the shade can be angled. Some tobacco on paper set on the alarm clock upper surface with the light almost completely collapsed on it does a great job in 30-60 minutes. It also makes the bedroom smell lovely; wife has been very happy with me drying tobacco in the bedroom, both regular air-drying and nightlight-drying.

So, I set some Northwoods up in it and had some food followed by a nice shower/shave. The bedroom now smells beautifully of very hickory-smoked shredded beef jerky. It dried more than expected; when loading it into the pipe it was crumbly. It is smoking perfectly and tastes great.

Top Bottom