What's new

Misc. Vintage Shaving Images

Here's some miscellaneous vintage shaving images from memory.loc.gov. Enjoy:

Art Ward's barber shop. Paonia, Colorado (approx 1905 - 1915)
proxy.php

Harkey Browning & Fred Ewers Barbershop. Littleton, CO (between 1900 to 1910)
proxy.php

Barber, wearing mask to protect against influenza, shaving man's face, other barbers and patrons visible. Chicago (1918)
proxy.php

Central City barber shop. Littleton CO. (ca. 1866)
proxy.php

Barber looking up, shaving the face of a reclining man in a barber shop in Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin (1926)
proxy.php

Unidentified African American man shaving the face of an unidentified Caucasian man in front of a low wooden building at Churchill Downs (1926)
proxy.php

Browning Barber Shop. Littleton, CO (1890)
proxy.php

Detroit, Michigan. Selling a Shick shaver at the Crowley-Milner department store (1941)
proxy.php

On U.S. 99 between Bakersfield and the Ridge, en route to San Diego. Migrant man shaving by roadside (1939)
proxy.php

Two barbers stand in a barber tent in a camp for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show at Ambrose Park in Brooklyn, New York (1894?)
proxy.php

Interior view of a barbershop in Georgetown, Colorado (between 1870 and 1890)
proxy.php

A migrant packinghouse worker shaving. Deerfield Florida (1937)
proxy.php

roughrider said:
Great photos.
Ditto. Makes you somewhat wistful and also think of that which truly constitutes progress. Then again, I think I'll take a pass on the Depression.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Ancient thread seemed about right for an ancient photo.

Just stopping the car here for a shave!
full

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice ancient photo Doug. Thanks for the thread resurrection, some great old photos there.

Temperatures were extremely low during the Battle of the Bulge and I can't figure out why a soldier would shave without his shirt on. I know some officers shaved in their foxholes but I don't think the practice was widespread through the enlisted ranks. The pic looks almost too serene to be during the Battle but I wasn't there, so what do I know? Regardless, pretty incredible picture.

Love them. I have been upset that i can't find a old black and white of my dad shaving. I remember he had lathered up no shirt work jeans and was looking out of the bathroom when mom snapped the pic. Probably early 50's.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Love them. I have been upset that i can't find a old black and white of my dad shaving. I remember he had lathered up no shirt work jeans and was looking out of the bathroom when mom snapped the pic. Probably early 50's.
I know it sounds silly, but I would find this priceless!

Top Bottom