What's new

Vintage Military Shaving Photos

As I was looking at old shaving videos, I came across memory.loc.gov which had several vintage shaving images, including these great photos of servicemen shaving:

GI shaving in foxhole using helmet as basin (1945)
proxy.php

Soldier shaving (date & location unknown)
proxy.php

Fifth Cavalry in camp at Grant Park in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois (1915)
proxy.php

Fort Belvoir, Virginia. Sergeant George Camblair shaving in the morning at the camp. (1942)
proxy.php

Sergeant Crowley holding a mirror and shaving, kneeling in a field (1927)
proxy.php

GI shaving in the shell-blasted church at Pietra Colora (1945)
proxy.php

Recruit lathering his face with a shaving brush in front of a makeshift vanity at the military school at Fort Sheridan, Illinois (1915)
proxy.php

Recruit shaving at a makeshift vanity at the military camp at Fort Sheridan, Illinois] (1915)
proxy.php

Italian boys watching a GI getting a shave (1945)
proxy.php

These photos are excellent. Do you collect vintage shaving pics of is this the beginning of a new obsession?

Those pictures brought back memories for me!

When I was in the Army, we were all issued a "steel pot"- much better for keeping your water hot than the current kevlar helmets of today.

Plus, shaving was a must- no way to escape the effects of 'gas' w/o having a tight seal-which u could not have unless your face was BBS.

Marty

These pics are amazingly cool.

Thanks for sharing. If you have more; keep them coming :001_smile

Regards.

Jakob

Thank you for the pictures.

My father served in WWII in England, North Africa, Sicily, and France. I remember him telling me once about having to use their helmets to crack the ice that had formed on the water barrels so they could shave. Ouch! I don't recall where this was but, apparently, they didn't have hot towels there either.

It's an interesting juxtaposition in some of those pictures, for example, the chaos of the bombed out church to the simple, peaceful shaving.

I remember him telling me once about having to use their helmets to crack the ice that had formed on the water barrels so they could shave.

There's a part in Band of Brothers where one of the officers is trying to generate lather with ice water:eek:. Thanks to all our military personnel for your sacrifices (even the shaving ones) and service to this great nation. Cool pics by the way.

Top Bottom