What's new

Shave sticks give a closer shave

For me at least. I find them noticeably easier to get me a perfectly smooth, long lasting shave. Soaps in general seem to shave closer than creams, but the sticks take it to a whole new level.

I think it's to do with the application directly to the face- it really lifts the bristles, far more than any other means of application, and at the same time packs some really thick osap right under into the base of each bristle, I think this helps support the stubble while the razor whacks them off at the base.

Anybody else have the same experience?

i think its part the soap aplication lifting the bristiles, also the stubs on the face scraping the soap, basicly, your scuffy face acting as a grater to put a good layer of soap on the skin

I would have to say that sticks seem to get a really close shave, but I can't tell if it is noticeably closer than creams or soaps. But I really like the QED or Speick sticks:biggrin:

I was just thinking of this last night and ended up shaving w/an erasmic stick this morning. I would definitely have to agree with this.

Try this for what looks to be a super bbs shave.

use a shave stick to shave
apply the balm of your choice
finish with an alcohol splash of your choice

I've found that if I finish w/a balm only, the hair in my pores (or what's left of it) appears more noticeable. But if I finish w/an as splash it makes them less visible, don't know if this is due to the alcohol tightening the pores or what, but there's a definite difference.

Just to throw some fat in the fire- Many shave sticks are still tallow based soap(a good thing).
Rubbing the shave stick on your face deposits more soap than many men load onto their brush otherwise, so they are using more product to create the lather(a good thing).

Have fun!

. . . SNIP!

Rubbing the shave stick on your face deposits more soap than many men load onto their brush otherwise, so they are using more product to create the lather(a good thing).

Have fun!

Agreed. I learned to really load up a brush with soap for face lathering. When using a shave stick, I make sure to get a good soap slurry on my face before using the brush. POOF! Lather. Lots of lather.

-- John Gehman

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I usually find that the razor im using with the shave stick gives me the closer shave:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Whoa there! I just recently moved up from soaps and discovered the joys of shaving creams and now shave sticks? Do I dare try one? This is going a little too fast for me! :tongue_sm What company makes a good shave stick?
Ernest

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Whoa there! I just recently moved up from soaps and discovered the joys of shaving creams and now shave sticks? Do I dare try one? This is going a little too fast for me! :tongue_sm What company makes a good shave stick?
Ernest

QED makes some excellent shave sticks.

Ernest

QED, D. R. Harris, Speick, Valobra....
LaToja is next on the acquisition list..

May I recommend LEA shaving stick? It's also an spanish brand, just like La Toja. Great scent, really good lather, and it's dirt cheap (about 1 USD per stick).

LEA or La Toja are my travel shaving soaps of choice :)

proxy.php

Ernest

While the QED is good stuff, I prefer the sticks with tallow in them - which includes several "drugstore" varieties, which, if purchased locally or from a good stateside vendor can be pretty cheap and represent great bang for the buck.

Here are some of the ones I've used in addition to QED

Tabac - this is probably the best shaving stick I've used, but is unobtanium
Arko - good shaves, but smells like industrial soap
Erasmic
Boots
Palmolive
Wilkinson

Sticks I plan on trying:

Speick
TOBS
La Toja

I also often use small pucks of soap the same way I use a shave stick - Conk works well like this, as does TGS soaps.

May I recommend LEA shaving stick? It's also an spanish brand, just like La Toja. Great scent, really good lather, and it's dirt cheap (about 1 USD per stick).

proxy.php

Any idea where to get this over the internet?

J

Jarmo P

Tabac - this is probably the best shaving stick I've used, but is unobtanium

I can buy them here in Finland. Not bowls, but sticks. Have been thinking of getting one since my tabac bowl from shavemac is almost scentless ... to my nose. It came with the plastic pacgage opened.
And from your words and knowing what we have in here of traditional shaving it is almost non existent. So I kind of feel the availability of getting them is just until all sold out. Never to be available again. Since they want to keep mainstream and traditional shaving soaps in this land of electric razors it is rare to find something that most of you still find easy.

proxy.php

Where do you find these goodies in Spain? I spent 4 weeks in Spain 2 years ago and I checked several malls, I couldn't find any classic wet-shaving products. Are LEA and La Toja wildly available?

Regards,
Alfred

Top Bottom