What's new

Pipe 'Baccy Wish List

(I did do a search first, but I'm sorry if I missed a thread like this already in existence.)

I saw the Pipe Wish List thread, and thought, why not? I have started to assemble a wish list of sorts, and would be curious to know what others wish for. This may pertain more to newb's since those with packed cellars have already tried most of what they've hoped to try, but who knows?

I would also be open to suggestions to help prioritize this list, since I sure can't afford them all at once! As a bit of background, cutting and pasting from what I said in another thread, "I'm a total newb, smoked some various Aro's and have started to slide into the Lat camp, fave at present is Frog Morton Cellar - but I don't have a lot to compare to ... I'm not an all day smoker, or even an every day smoker. So I like a flavorful, but not sharp (and maybe I'm mistaking this with tongue-bite, which I realize is a technique issue), and I'd prefer to not hit the Nic-bombs..." Price/oz will also become an issue as well. And if some of these are tremendously similar, then I may nix the lesser's.

So, here goes, in no particular order at this point:

The other Frog Mortons
Pembroke
Penzance (tho someone mentioned it's hard to come by)
JFH Middle Earth Sampler
Squadron Leader
Sam Gawith Perfection
H&H Magnum Opus
Rattray Red Reparee
Dunhill EMP ?
Nightcap ? (too high nic?)

Of the VA's:
Christmas Cheer
Cpt Black (have to try it once, right?)
FVF ?

(obviously, leaning interest toward the Aro-Lat categories)

If you're at all concerned about nicotine, avoid both Nightcap and EMP. EMP gave me a strong nic hit, and it is supposedly mild compared to Nightcap.

I think the sharpness thing is NOT the same as tongue bite and I used to have the same question. If you don't want too much sharpness, avoid Perique, which has a very sharp/spicy feel.

Captain Black is not artisanal one-of-a-kind unicorn-blood-infused tobacco that you have to sell your soul to get, but don't be reluctant or embarrassed to admit your intention to try it (and potential subsequent enjoyment). It's easy to get locally so you can just buy a pouch of it for $5 or whatever...even though it's not the most cost-efficient, the investment is low. So, go ahead and give it a try.

Penzance isn't merely hard to get. It's impossible to get most of the time; when it becomes available, you have to be aggressive about getting it and be ready to drop a bunch of money on it. I didn't want to fall in love with such a high-maintenance tobacco so I was trying to avoid it, but evil JeremySeattle kindly sent me a sample along with a trade we arranged. Luckily, a bowl of it didn't do anything for me...but I still have a couple bowls left in that sample, so I might grok it after trying again.

My wishlist includes : Everything. I want to smoke everything.

is not artisanal one-of-a-kind unicorn-blood-infused tobacco that you have to sell your soul to get

That's one hell of a casing. I am trying to find something that was flue cured in Mt. Doom, pressed and aged in wood and gold from the ark of covenant, and then cut into flakes by Excalibur.

I like the idea of killing a mythical beast just so satiate my diet, and/or vices.

All other conversations aside, don't worry too much about growing your list, it will grow on its own, and probably quickly. Try not to over plan, just enjoy what you can find, when you can find it. I don't think it is worth getting zeroed in on something in a priority queue because you may miss out on something totally fantastic along the way that you may have missed because you just had to try the tin of mythical tobacco.

Sure its nice to hear some recommendations, and the well knows I guess are good starting points, but take some time finding out something nice for yourself, and then youll have the "just got to try" to pass on to someone else.

A real wish, eh?

Enough Pembroke so's that I can dive into it and swim like the beginning of "Duck Tales"! :biggrin1:

Apparently we're of the same vintage. I wonder how many guys on here even know what you're talking about... (somewhat embarrassed that I do!)

The NES game was one of my all-time favorite video games as a kid... even if it made zero sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny, I just got the old NES out to play with my kids. Their favorite game on it..... Duck Tales. I'm right there with them.

Just last night I watched an episode of Archer that referenced Scrooge McDuck diving in his money vault.

The Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers song always sounded like "With Every Beat Of My Heart" by Taylor Dayne. Also, when I found out the meaning of 'Chippendales' I wondered if the folks who made Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers were a little weird in the head.

It's funny but the tobaccos I want to try are probably readily available to most of you but I unobtainable here

Sit Walter Raleigh (both versions)

Lane 1Q and BCA

I would like to try some GL Pease tobaccos as well

I'm due time. I might solve a tobacco mystery, or better yet, may rewrite history. ;)

Top Bottom