What's new

Guide to newbies?

Hi.

I don't currently have anything, and honestly I don't know where to start with the whole thing :blushing:

I just saw a friend using it, and he doesn't know much about this either, as he got a set(?) as a gift from someone.

Is there like a guide for someone like me in terms of where to start looking, what to look for, glossaries, etc...?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Mantic59 and geofatboy helped me a lot when I first got interested and started shaving with a DE. There is some good advice on here, you just have to take everything as a your mileage may vary(YMMV), but that is expected since none of us are the same. Also, check out the shave wiki, its pretty useful too.

I am pretty much a newbie myself..I would say just start simple. I bought a cheap DE razor on amazon for like $5 to start (Riemi brand) i believe, had some van der hagen shave soap (I bought the kit that included a bowl, soap, and boar brush) at Rite Aid for like $10 and went from there. I have built up and added other items since, but I think starting simple is the way to go, don't want to overload yourself on things.
A lot of people on this forum have helped me to understand things as well, as did watching videos by the aforementioned Mantic59, Geofatboy, and Nick Shaves on youtube.
Good luck if you decided to jump in!

The wiki mblakele posted was exactly the thing I was looking for. Although the sheer amount of information in that is far more... vast than I would have thought. Looks like I have some heavy reading to do :laugh:

I'll definitely check out the other suggestions too.

Thank you everyone!

I've never seen a forum with less fighting. It's the friendliest forum on the internet IMO.

That said the Mantic59 video advice is good - they are helpful videos.

The wiki mblakele posted was exactly the thing I was looking for. Although the sheer amount of information in that is far more... vast than I would have thought. Looks like I have some heavy reading to do :laugh:

Thank you everyone!
Hope you find what you're looking for, happy hunting!

Thank you everyone!

Good news. Feel free to post questions anytime. Enjoy your shaves. Stop by the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself if you would like.

The shavewiki is a huge fountain of shave knowledge. And there are a lot of good vendors who have well priced starter kits. Garry's sample shop is a great deal as well.

Welcome to B&B.

I've never seen a forum with less fighting. It's the friendliest forum on the internet IMO.

Even the disagreements are generally very well mannered and people do try to help each other out even when they don't feel the same way. I've had some long running conversations recently and I may not agree completely with the other but I've learned another way of looking at things and adjusted my thinking accordingly, as have others. It's a great place because there is an emphasis on respect and learning you don't get a lot of places on the Net.

+1 on this. Start simple and cheap. You can always spend more when/if you are ready.

I am pretty much a newbie myself..I would say just start simple. I bought a cheap DE razor on amazon for like $5 to start (Riemi brand) i believe, had some van der hagen shave soap (I bought the kit that included a bowl, soap, and boar brush) at Rite Aid for like $10 and went from there. I have built up and added other items since, but I think starting simple is the way to go, don't want to overload yourself on things.
A lot of people on this forum have helped me to understand things as well, as did watching videos by the aforementioned Mantic59, Geofatboy, and Nick Shaves on youtube.
Good luck if you decided to jump in!

Top Bottom