What's new

de Buyer 9" Country frying pan, anyone using it

Missed your question a while back. I have a set of deBuyer pans like yours. These specifically-shaped flatter pans are often referred to as "white/blue steel" or Lyonnaise. I use them in the winter for meat and vegetable sauté sessions. Like cast iron, I will sear a cut of meat and then place the entire pan with the meat, seared on both sides, into a hot (500℉) oven to finish the inside of the meat to the desired level of being done. The sear seals the flavor and the moisture while the short stint in the oven takes care of the center of the cut. The "white/blue steel" pans can be used like cast iron, and are essentially seasoned the same way. They impart less of a subtle metal taste that may occur with cast iron pans especially with sautéing vegetables. They can also be used for making reductions and light sauces. Seasoning them is hastened by coating the cooking area of the pan with grapeseed, canola or vegetable oil and heating to around 375℉ for an hour or so.

Last edited:
Virtually all the steel pans in the dB range are of the Lyonnaise style that come in a variety of thicknesses, however to confuse things further within that they also have "Lyonnaise range" which is made of very thin gauge steel. Good for a low power heat source but that's all.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
There are a few types of the de buyer carbon steel pans. I think the biggest difference is thickness of steel and the country has high sides.

I have the mineral B and are very happy with them.
Have not seen the the "Country fry pan" here. I have seen Blue steel, Mineral B and heavy.

As a alternative Lodge have a carbon steel pan. I have not seen or used one myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a alternative Lodge have a carbon steel pan. I have not seen or used one myself.

I have the 12" lodge carbon steel pan. It's "okay". Doesn't heat very evenly in my opinion and the bottom is a tiny little bit wobbly which is annoying. In retrospect I should have just gotten the DeBuyer.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
BruceRed posted a link to the DeBuyer black steel pans from CostCo in the acquisition thread . . . well their Canadian site. They seem to be a good deal.

There are a few types of the de buyer carbon steel pans. I think the biggest difference is thickness of steel and the country has high sides.

BruceRed posted a link to the DeBuyer black steel pans from CostCo in the acquisition thread . . . well their Canadian site. They seem to be a good deal.

Mine should be here Monday and will post pics and details up as to which ones they actually are.

Costco.ca is wonky sometimes in their listings and the name BLACK STEEL doesn't exist for DeBuyer, one of the reviewers said they were Carbon and they sort of match up to these specs on Amazon.com

they come with the following Costco specs:

Extra thick black steel with riveted handle. The “Lyonnaise” profile pan has a high flared and curved skirt. This very distinctive shape has no sharp edges or angles and enables food to slide easily from the pan to the plate. It can be used on all cooking surfaces and is a popular choice for chefs worldwide. This French made fry pan from de BUYER will provide countless years of use.

Features:

• Available sizes: 20.3 cm (8 in.), 24.1 cm (9.5 in.) or 27.9 cm (11 in.)
  • Heavy duty black steel
  • Induction compatible
  • 3.1 cm (1.25 in.) high sides
  • 0.25 cm (0.09 in.) thickness (or 2.5mm)
  • Made in France

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have not seen or used a heavy but when I was looking to buy my first one, I was tossing up between the heavy and the mineral B.
From what I could tell the main difference was the mineral B has a coating of bees wax at the factory. This is meant to protect in transit and asist in the first seasoning.
you are meant to wash it off prior to seasning, so not sure how much it helps. Maybe it's just a marketing spin as I have heard of guys saying they returned it to steel and reseasoned with no issue.
The only reason I went with the Mineral B, was I could pick one up locally and they had them at 30% off. It was a win win.

I bought mine from FutureShop.ca
These two came last, I think:

Item(s)shipped Quantity Price
De Buyer 11" Non-Stick Round Frying Pan (5610.28) 1 $36.49
De Buyer 8" Non-Stick Round Frying Pan (5610.2) 1 $22.99

Order Subtotal: $59.48
Shipping Cost: $0.00

Subtotal: $59.48

Goods and Services Tax: $2.97
Provincial Sales Tax: $4.17
Grand Total: $66.62

The “Lyonnaise” looks similar to MineralB. I am not a costco member, otherwise...
I think I have a couple missing to finalize the set.

Cannot wait to see brucered review of the pan he got.

I bought mine from FutureShop.ca

The “Lyonnaise” looks similar to MineralB. I am not a costco member, otherwise...
I think I have a couple missing to finalize the set.

Cannot wait to see brucered review of the pan(s) he got.

I think they are going to be the same, but will confirm UPC's and Style #'s on the packaging when they arrive. Often Costco has the same model as a non-costco produced items (on vacuums, blenders, microwaves etc), but it's packaged differently for a Costco exclusive item so it can't be returned elsewhere.

It looks like you got some good prices at FutureShop of all places. :thumbup1:

--update-- Costco.ca has now dropped the Crepe pans, I guess they sold out and are not bringing them back. I knew I should have ordered one or two.

Last edited:
No kidding...
I was surprised as well. Their .ca store has a lot of merchandise you wouldn't believe they would carry.
Check them out.

... I knew I should have ordered one or two.
It happens to me all the time. Just watch FutureShop.ca for end-of-year sales. I wanted to get a crepe pan as well and for some reason I decided not to. I think those pans would work well for quesadillas, so... there, one more reason to snatch one when on sale.

I found a bit more info on the lines, in case anyone is interested, take from here

'The “Mineral” line is like the “Carbone +” one, but with a better finish and packaging, more suitable for the retail market (see in the attachment)
Rgds
Franck CHATELAIN
Export Dept.
tel. +33.3.29.30.56.16
fax. +33.3.29.30.60.03"

Last edited:
Top Bottom