What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

The box is here in all its glory. I have made the initial picks and have found 7 to try, along with the 2 sample soaps. There were a few that didn't pass the sniff test (including the birthday soap) and it seems licorice is also on the wife's not approved list. Now its time to read up on some of the old reviews for the soaps I'm not as familiar with.

There were some WSO (Wet Shave Obsession) soaps in the box a while back that were selected during the last round, had they been in the box during my turn I would have quickly chosen them.

I mentioned this in a post somewhere and MrSmith was extremely kind in sending me some WSO soap. It's one that I've wanted to try for quite a while but haven't had the opportunity to do so. The soap maker has suffered a serious illness in his family and has taken some time away, so this stuff is basically unobtainium now. He may start making it again but he's dropped off the map for about six months now so it's not looking good.

I'd like to share a review of this soap as well as some others that I have samples of on the way if you guys are interested in a few bonus reviews. Some may or may not be in the box now.

I'll add some of these bonus reviews over the next week or two if you guys are interested.

Love reviews David!!! So I would vote yes throw them up here.

I am really interested in your thoughts on the WSO since it is so hard to find and not sure if it's worth the trouble of going on a full out search :lol:

Since I got through the pumpkin 3017 I will start to use my takes a bit and throw up some more thoughts on them post-choice...

Love reviews David!!! So I would vote yes throw them up here.

I am really interested in your thoughts on the WSO since it is so hard to find and not sure if it's worth the trouble of going on a full out search :lol:

Since I got through the pumpkin 3017 I will start to use my takes a bit and throw up some more thoughts on them post-choice...

I used the WSO Nard soap the other day but I was running late for work so no pics were taken. At this point I've used it several times and believe I have a full understanding of it. I want to share a full review on this one and do it right because it's definitely deserving. I'll give it a full write up very soon with lather pics and lots of detail.

I have some samples of a few other soaps that are new to me that I can post some reviews of as well. Some of which may be in the box and some might not be. I tried Cold River Select Sandlewood this morning, which is getting some excellent reviews. I have some Dr. Selby to try and should have some WSP Rustic, IanS and Maggards headed my way soon as well if you want to hear about those.

I'm going to start with one review tonight. I've noticed a few others keep to a certain method while testing soaps, so here's my method. I'm going to start with a bit of soap pressed in the bottom of a cereal bowl to load/lather. After applying the first pass, I will transfer the brush and lather from bowl to my scuttle to test how it holds up to heat. I typically do 2 passes so I'll have one before scuttle and after. I'm going to stick with my trusty 24mm WD silvertip that I never have problems lathering with. Brush will be soaked and most of the water shaken out before lathering. Here's the first review.

I was not initially going to try this one but I was looking for something with a nice scent for a night shave. I have used #124 before and almost went with that but curiosity of a new brand got the best of me. I'm glad it did.

The lathering was very easy and after adding a bit of water twice I had a mountain of lather. I think this was due to the fact I typically load the brush right from the container and wasn't sure how much I needed to scrape off for the test. I was very pleased with the consistency I got. It was very slick and cushiony. It held up very well in the scuttle and the 2nd pass was very pleasant. After shave feeling is good, I did not use an aftershave and my face feels/smells good even after a few hours.

Performance was very good and it was easy to achieve. Scent is ok (I prefer #124 in that area) but this scent is outside of my typical favorite scents. Here is what you all have been waiting for, the pic.

$#511.jpg

This was my Thanksgiving day shave and I was very pleased with it. I have tried the brand before and heard of the scent but it was not in stock when I was looking to buy a fall scent. I ended up with HTGAM pumpk'n instead and unfortunately had a bad reaction to something in it (maybe cinnamon). The soap caused a slight burning and the autumn factory was like a fire on my face. I was glad I had no reaction to this soap though.

There is not a lather pic as I ran out of time getting ready for festivities with my family. It was slick and the glide it provided was enough to give a very smooth, irritation free shave. I had no issues lathering and I used the scuttle again. The scent was enjoyable but bloomed even more after it was warm.

I think tonight will provide some time for testing a few soaps, so stay tuned for more.

The HTGAM causes my face to get red and burns a little, I too think it's the cinnamon, but I still use it because I love the scent of the pumpkin and autumn factory together

I have returned, and had hoped
i would have found anything
interesting to be adding to the box
from the Bahamas, but alas, there
was nothing to be found. Apparently,
everyone just walks around with full
beards all the time. Not to worry,
i have a couple that'll suffice.

I attempted to shave with this yesterday and couldn't get it to work for me. I was hopeful since it is a brand I had not used before and the scent was one of my favorites. I would say it is a well known brand on B&B but one that isn't talked about near as much in the past year. It seems there are quite a few people who feel the same since it looks like it's been tested more than the other soaps. I even added more soap and tried again after getting the airy disappearing lather but with no success.

Maybe I could get really good lather out of this with more practice but at this point I have enough soaps that work effortlessly. It also makes my decision on which soaps I'm taking much easier. Was starting to think I wouldn't find one that wasn't great.

$lather.jpg

Last edited:

This soap was perfect from first sniff. I used a sample from this manufacturer before with great results. I was contemplating a purchse, but couldn't pick a scent. This scent was on my short list (6 out of 27 scents). I used the same 24mm WD with a smaller amount of soap compared to the amount used with #511. I very easily lathered and added a few drops of water 3 times. The result was slick and cushiony. The pic is from what I squeezed out of the brush for a second pass. I did not have time to use the scuttle since it was my second lathering of the morning. From what I remember with the sample I used, it held up with no issues from heat.

$lather1.jpg

Last edited:
My time with the box is coming to a close. I had more free time tonight now that the Thanksgiving weekend festivities are complete so I have a few more results to list.

#205 - Once again one of my favorite scents with a twist, the twist was what I initially smelled. Upon lathering the twist mellows and the base of the scent blooms. I initially had a hard time getting a good lather but added a bit more soap and was able to produce a good enough lather to shave. It was just a bit below what I am normally used to from the cushion, it was slick enough though.
$IMG_20141201_213629808.jpg

#41 - This was one outside of my normal scent profile but I figured I should try something new in scent and maker. The scent was woody up front with a herb base. I had read previous reviews stating it was not as easy to lather but I had no problems. It was quick to lather but took an extra few drops of water to really build. With a bit more soap used it would give plenty of lather for a full shave.
$IMG_20141201_214315769.jpg

#510 - Here's one that I already have too much from the maker but love the different scents. This scent is currently unavailable and I missed it when it was new. It was a limited run but I have seen posts that it may be coming back. The lather was easy, plentiful, cushiony, and slick. The scent is cologne based which is my 2nd favorite group of scents, but sadly this cologne is far out of my reach for attainment. Although it was my wife's favorite scent from the box and Christmas is coming soon! :w00t: Since I am familiar with the soap maker and I was doing multiple tests, I decided to throw in a little variety in brushes.
$IMG_20141201_214955017.jpg

For my contributions to the box.

Great scent, soap(croap) and maker. It was one of the first I used in the line and every time I use it, it takes me back to my first few months with wet shaving. It is a fresh, sweet citrus scent that is easy to lather and a great performer.

I tried this soap about a year ago and love the scent. It is more complex as it ties in 3 scents with a sweet start that transitions to a deeper/richer scent. It's not as easy to lather as others but it works out well with some extra loading time.

I tried this soap shortly after 513 thinking it would be similar but was pleased to find it was quite different. It's a touch softer, but not a croap. Scent is heavier than the other 2 and combined very well. I have a harder time picking out individual scents that are listed in the description but really enjoy the full scent of it. Performance is on par with the others and I would place it between 512 & 513 for ease of lathering.

After my many tests last night I decided it was time to shave. I picked sample #124 since I have already had the chance to use #24 before. I think I was a bit conservative in the amount I used as I didn't get a mountain of lather. I'm wondering if my brush (24mm) is bigger than what most people use when testing with the box. It seems to load quite a bit more than my 22mm brushes when I am shaving normally. What lather I had to shave with was very slick but I'm sure I didn't experience the full potential since it never exploded in lather. The scent was ok for me but definitely not a favorite which is why I didn't use more to try getting a better lather. I figured it was better to leave more for future testers.

The box is ready to ship and will be going out over my lunch break, pics of my selections to come later tonight
$box_ship.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my picks, you can check out the reviews above if you missed them. Thank you for all your contributions, it was fun to get to try all kinds of new stuff. I look forward to seeing more reviews and what everyone picks. Thanks again to Demaskee for coordinating this pass around.

#503 Saint Charles Shave Dagger, #231 - PPF Ciderhouse 5, and #510 Razorock The Freedberg

$IMG_20141201_232221011.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_20141201_232221011.jpg
    $IMG_20141201_232221011.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom