What's new

Charcoal grill under $100?

We recently moved from an apartment to a house and with the yard, we'd like to grill a little. We are looking for something simple and inexpensive. I'm not sure how charcoal grills could really differ much, but on seeing prices, I guess they do.

Any recommendations for an easy, inexpensive backyard grill? Thank you.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
There's a reason Webber has been making the same style grill for a bazillion years.
I'll be buying one soon myself.

Stick with a Weber.
It will cost a bit more, but you can get plenty of Weber for charcoal for $100.

With BBQ, you basically get what you pay for, both charcoal and propane.
The cheap grills take forever to preheat, do not maintain even heat, and they rust out quickly.

I had a Home Depot Grillemaster that was ready for the trash in less than 10 years.
Friend has a Weber that's still going at 14.

I've had a 22.5 for nearly 10 years now. Had to replace the grates a few times as they rust very easily, but other than that the kettle's holding up really well.

Oh I did have to replace the bottom flu a few years back. Smoking is not kind to those "tin?" parts.

Good advice by everyone to stick with Weber, there is a reason that they are so popular.

I started out with a ECK (El Cheapo Kettle) and it was fine for the first few months, until things started to fall apart.

Picked up a redhead from a yard sale, and the lid weighed more than my entire ECK!

My redhead was manufactured back in '91 and is still going strong today.

Weber Kettle for sure. The 18.5 is nice, but if you cook for big groups, you'll find it a little small. I'd opt for the 22", but not sure it's under $100. I have the 26.75" Kettle, and the extra real estate is awesome.

Weber is your best bet as the others have said. Check craigslist, etc and you can probably pick one up used for cheap.

+1 Weber kettle!

And you can use it as a pretty decent smoker. I have a big gas grill, a dedicated offset smoker and the Kettle. I actually prefer smoking ribs with the kettle -- For something like baby backs, where they're only smoking for say 4 hours -- it gets to temp faster and maintains the temp better than the "real" smoker. Follow the directions here to see how to set up a weber for smoking. I discovered this a couple of years ago and it works great.

I also use the Weber when I have some really nice steaks -- nothing beats charcoal for a couple of ribeyes.

Webers = greatness

But do spend some effort in maintenance and care --- don't leave it out in the elements uncovered.

Weber gets the job done with a small amount of charcoal. I had a New Braunfels smoker when I lived in Texas and liked that a lot, but I never cook for huge crowds.

Has anyone mentioned a 22-1/2" Weber Kettle yet? :lol:

Check your local used sites to get one even cheaper. I picked an old one up, great shape, wood handles, for $10. People buy them, don't know what they are getting into and then sell them after using them a few times.

Top Bottom