What's new

I am clueless, feel free to afford me your worldly experience within.

Yes, it is true, I am an electric shaver user.
Never was a fan of cartridges, so very limited with them, as I simply couldn't get them to work with out tearing strips off my face!
Did not grow up with either traditional forms in the house, so no experience of either.
Yet with the passing of a family member, I've inherited a Gillette razor and it's piqued my curiosity.

So, please, share the advise you would go back and afford yourself with when you were just starting out wet shaving.

First of all welcome!
I suggest going to a place like Garry's sample shop and ordering a blade sampler and some cream or soap samples. Get a starter brush and some drug store after shaves. In the mean time check out the shavewiki here for tips and how to. Also drop in the Hall of fame and introduce yourself. How about a pic of this Gillette?

Get a razor, some blades, a brush and a soap/cream to lather with. Watch Mantics vids on youtube. Practice every day and do at least one test lather every day as well. Keep notes in a journal. Resist the temptation to change-up your variables for at least a month. Post your progress here. Rinse and repeat.

Yet with the passing of a family member, I've inherited a Gillette razor and it's piqued my curiosity.
So, please, share the advise you would go back and afford yourself with when you were just starting out wet shaving.

First of all, welcome to B&B. My first piece of advice is to enjoy your stay here and read as much as you can. There's a treasure trove of knowledge from literally centuries of combined experience in wet shaving.

Get a razor, some blades, a brush and a soap/cream to lather with. Watch Mantics vids on youtube. Practice every day and do at least one test lather every day as well. Keep notes in a journal. Resist the temptation to change-up your variables for at least a month. Post your progress here. Rinse and repeat.

Second piece of advice: Listen to Mad Man. This is sound advice. You already have the razor, so if you'll tell us a little about it, we can try to tell you what you have so we know what you're working with (a picture would be even better!). I would recommend a virtual stop at Maggard Razors or West Coast Shaving to get your starter supplies. Mantic59's videos were absolutely invaluable to me when I was getting started. And, definitely keep everything the same for a month to set a baseline. While you'll have to change the actual blade a few times in that month (I do so weekly, but you may have a different interval), don't change the type/brand of blade during that month.

Third piece of advice: Ask away. There are no stupid questions here.

Fourth piece of advice: Have a great day! :001_smile

As a fellow newb I suggest reading the forums and wikis here front to back. Ok maybe that's impossible BUT before I even started I'd read so much and watched so many videos I felt like a pro. Careful though, it gives you a false sense of accomplishment ;)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome. All good advice above. I would stress watching Mantic videos on youtube as much as you can. It's helpful to watch the technique being performed.

Second: everyone starts off with too much pressure - don't do it. Hold the razor to the face with just enough pressure to keep it from falling on the floor.

Good luck.

Welcome. All good advice above. I would stress watching Mantic videos on youtube as much as you can. It's helpful to watch the technique being performed.

Second: everyone starts off with too much pressure - don't do it. Hold the razor to the face with just enough pressure to keep it from falling on the floor.

Good luck.

+1. Apply just enough pressure to keep the blade in contact with your face. Takes a bit of doing after using a cartridge or electric system, but well worth the effort. Makes shaving enjoyable, and leaves your face feeling really good.

My advice:

1. Watch some tutorial videos on YouTube. Pay attention to the fundamentals, but only for the ideas because there is no one single way to shave correctly and you will find your way.

2. Softening your beard beforehand hand is very important. Your skin may or may not need care. You will have to figure it out.

3. Don't over think it. Shaving takes some practice to learn, but it is still a simple process with many suitable variations. Just pick your gear and practice. Favor more practice over changing gear if you are dissatisfied with your shave. If you change, make one change at a time and practice more.

4. Don't be intimidated. Make up your mind that you will succeed. Relax and do it.

Welcome Aboard: Happy to hear of your good fortune to inherit a gillette razor. Could you post a pictures. The B&B members love to look at pictures of razors. Thanks

+1 for all of this. Also,

Go slowly for first couple of weeks. This isn't rocket science, but there IS a transition period. YouTube is a good source of videos.

First of all welcome!
I suggest going to a place like Garry's sample shop and ordering a blade sampler and some cream or soap samples. Get a starter brush and some drug store after shaves. In the mean time check out the shavewiki here for tips and how to. Also drop in the Hall of fame and introduce yourself. How about a pic of this Gillette?

+1 to all the advice above. Not much else to say except, no pressure, no pressure . . . Enjoy the discovery!

Welcome to the B&B!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)

Will have to get a pic of the razor asap to share.

What are good blades to start with, if I'm going to be using the same item for a month ?
What about soap/cream ?
As for brushes, I think I need to afford more time reading up upon the different types and what they're suited to.
Any guides for brushes and their differences ?

I should point out, I'm from Australia, so am limited to what the backwards retail sector carries here, with is almost exclusively cartridges, foam and gel :(

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B

What part of Australia? There are wet shaving retailers in Australia who can ship to you reasonably?

I would recommend you start with the Astra SP blade (green wrapper). These are a nice smooth blade that should give you consistent results

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Yes, it is true, I am an electric shaver user.
Never was a fan of cartridges, so very limited with them, as I simply couldn't get them to work with out tearing strips off my face!
Did not grow up with either traditional forms in the house, so no experience of either.

In addition to the comments already posted, study your beard growth and shave accordingly. Use a few passes to reduce growth. Slow and steady wins the race. Test out a few products to find the right fit. Good luck!

Ok, it's been a while since I replied here.

I've been using Astra Greens ( platinum ?) and nothing else as I can actually find them here.
The other option was Derby, yet it appears there are not many that would rate them.

Pressure wise, I'm still trying to find that line between a close shave and irritation, not having the best of luck with this and believe a part of that may be due to the soap.

I ended up trying a brown Col Conk that I found at a retail shaving shop ( well I actually bought a few mistakenly believing they would not last long, yet the positive is the gear used has been consistent )
For the life of me, I am unable to get lather like that I see others manage form their soaps, so am starting to believe that it is the soap.

I am at the stage where a brush is a critical replacement item, as the one that I inherited is falling apart, literally the knot is held in by hopes/dreams and a bit of super glue.
From shopping around, it appears to be a cheap Chinese made thing and too small and rough/prickly for my liking.
What's cheap, reasonably sized and recommended brush wise ?

Oh and my razor looks like this, well it would if it was as nice and shiny as this one, yet mine isn't :(
$117246d1357532702-anybody-know-what-year-my-gillette-safety-razor-any-info-about-imag0271.jpg

+1
I couldn't have said it better than Mad Man above!
There's plenty of lathering videos on YouTube to check out, the soap/water ratio is usually the tricky part there...
Check out the Shaving Brush Forum for advice, you can pick up a nice Omega or Semogue boar brush from any number of online vendors for under $20.00

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.
Welcome back.
That's a Tech.
A nice mild razor...excellent choice for a beginner.
Lather...general rule...use more product...load the brush...use more than you think you'll need.
Soap is cheap, no need to skimp.
And a decent brush will certainly help...probably a lot.
Happy shaving.
Cheers.

+2

He doesn't need a razor, he inherited one already.

Ok, it's been a while since I replied here.

I've been using Astra Greens ( platinum ?) and nothing else as I can actually find them here.
The other option was Derby, yet it appears there are not many that would rate them.

Pressure wise, I'm still trying to find that line between a close shave and irritation, not having the best of luck with this and believe a part of that may be due to the soap.

I ended up trying a brown Col Conk that I found at a retail shaving shop ( well I actually bought a few mistakenly believing they would not last long, yet the positive is the gear used has been consistent )
For the life of me, I am unable to get lather like that I see others manage form their soaps, so am starting to believe that it is the soap.

I am at the stage where a brush is a critical replacement item, as the one that I inherited is falling apart, literally the knot is held in by hopes/dreams and a bit of super glue.
From shopping around, it appears to be a cheap Chinese made thing and too small and rough/prickly for my liking.
What's cheap, reasonably sized and recommended brush wise ?

Oh and my razor looks like this, well it would if it was as nice and shiny as this one, yet mine isn't :(
View attachment 509195

I would get a good silver tip brush 23m which are not big. Try shave cream instead of soap too.

Top Bottom