What's new

Nib advice needed on a Pendleton nib selection.

I have a Michael Masuyama 1.1 stub nib that I really like. It's great for grading papers, signing things, lists, etc... But, when it comes to note-taking, the line it puts down is just a bit too thick.

My 60th birthday's coming up and friends are asking my wife about a "group present". A Lamy 2000 with a Pendleton nib seems like a great suggestion. The question is which nib to order. (Pendleton has already told me to order either the .9 or the 1.1 Lamy nib with the 2000. These nibs give plenty of tipping material to work with.)

I can see his broad butter-line stub italic lays down too much of a line for the note taking pen I am after.

Looking for opinions from those of you with direct Pendleton experience with his fine and medium nib variants. I like a dark, wet line. I use Sustainable Earth notebooks from Staples. My note-taking hand is a mixture of script and print writing. My current note-taking pen is a Parker 51 with a stock medium stub nib.

Whose got an opinion they'd like to share?

Thanks!

Bob

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm a little leery of a guy that uses a Dremel and a cut-off wheel for nib grinding but maybe that's just me. I remember when he burst onto the scene. That said, I can't believe he still doesn't know they don't make a 1.1mm nib like the Safari (which has no tipping material), the Lamy 2000 comes in a platinum coated 14K gold nib in sizes EF, F, M, and B. They're pretty darn smooth, maybe try it stock for awhile at least?

Don't let me dissuade you but you did ask for opinions.

proxy.php

It is a smooth writer. The Pendleton nib is the one at the bottom of the image.
This was the first time I have used that nib in a week. No false starts.

Last edited:
I have a Shadow Wave with a Pendleton nib, Italic and it is sweet, BUT GOOD GOD MAN....

A Pendleton point in a Lamy ???? What are you thinking ????

I have a Shadow Wave with a Pendleton nib, Italic and it is sweet, BUT GOOD GOD MAN....

A Pendleton point in a Lamy ???? What are you thinking ????

I've never seen a Lamy 2000. Just read about them. I like hooded nibs and I like stub nibs. I also need a pen with a big ink capacity. This is how I came up with this concept. With that said...

Why is this not a good idea?

Asking for some education here.

He's just yanking your chain, Bob. Nothing wrong with putting a custom nib on a Lamy. It's just usually the pen costs more than the nib and not the other way around.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
He's just yanking your chain, Bob. Nothing wrong with putting a custom nib on a Lamy. It's just usually the pen costs more than the nib and not the other way around.

The Lamy 2000 is a $165 pen.

I'd consider Mike again, especially if you like his work. Discuss the project with him, his work is quite good and he's been at it for many years -- he worked with Sailor for over 20 years!

I had the nib on my Edson medium point B&B LE #1 modified by Pendleton Brown into a crisp italic, and I love it. I would not consider it particularly dark or wet, but I was not looking for that.

I would assume that PB can do build to suit and I personally would have a look of faith in his recommendations.

No I was not yanking his chain.....well maybe a little :tongue_sm.

The 2000 is a semi hooded pen. Personally I would take a "51" aerometric and send it off to Mottishaw for tuning and a specialty "51" nib. I have tried some of his nibs...they are out of this world.

Although Pendleton grinds a mean nib!

I'd go with a Masuyama, Mottishaw, or Minuskin grind. I don't think I could endorse a guy who calls his product The Pendleton Point Elegant Butter-line Stub~Italic (PPEB-lS~I). That, and I only trust those with surnames beginning with "M" for nib work.

In all seriousness, I second the suggestion to try the Lamy 2000's stock fine or medium nib before you have it ground.

-Andy

I've spent the last week and a half using my Franklin Christoph pen with the Masuyama stub. It's a great nib. Going to have to think this one through. I really like the Masuyama 1.1 stub.

Will probably get the Lamy 2000 with a fine nib and give the stock set up a good run before adding a customized nib. Might try out a Pendleton nib by buying one of the pens shown on his site.

I'll post a picture(s) when I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions,

Bob

most stock nibs are boring, I no longer like them much at all anymore. Stub it out if thats really what you want, I would do it in a heartbeat. the "M" nibbers would be my go to just from what others have told me, but thats only because I am not that familiar with PB much at all

I had Pendleton Brown grind one of his Pendleton Points on a medium nib Lamy 2000 a couple years ago. The medium stock nib was great, it wrote nice and wet and was a bit thicker than some other medium nibs. The Pendleton Point on it performs great! It has more character and the grind added a little more spring to the nib.

Top Bottom