What's new

Pelikan Recommendations?

Despite having acquired a bushel basket of fountain pens over the past couple of years, I've never scored a Pelikan pen. I'm thinking it might be about time to correct that oversight. Let me give you some criteria and then you can recommend models that might work for me.

Cost: Max around $200, but flexible. I can always skip a few meals. :001_rolle
Vintage or New: Either one is fine as long as in working condition.
Size: I've handled the M200 and found them a little too small and skinny. I'd definitely prefer something a bit beefier. Thickness is more critical than length.
Nib: Fine to Medium. Possibly interested in an italic or stub, but nothing too big and/or expensive. Gold is good, steel is OK as long as it's a smooth writer.
Color: Tortoise or Blue are desirable. Solid Black or Green stripes would be my last choice.
Filler: Definitely a piston filler.

I'm willing to shop around on eBay and other online sources to find the right pen, but I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities.

So have at it...any thoughts, comments, and recommendations?

Last edited:
The 200 is the same size as the 400, so that cuts out the vintage pens and the modern M400. You probably need to look at the M600 series, which definitely puts you over $200 unless you can find a deal on a used pen. And if you're paying for a M600, you might as well go big and get a Blue O Blue or something special like that. :laugh:

I will PM you the guy I buy Pelikans from, it's worth checking his prices.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nothing big and/or blue is going to be flexible unless you have the nib heavily modded. Vintage nibs (pre-'65) are flexy, stubbish, and buttery smooth but the only barrel thickness is going to be the same as a 400, about 12mm diameter. You'll be able to find a green striped 400NN for a little less than $200, a tortoise ... maybe.

Your size preferences precludes a lot of great pens. You're really left with a blue striated M600 or an M800 in blue striated or tortoise. Both are great pens but will run over your budget. You may be able to find an M600 in your price range but it will require some searching on the used market. Be warned, Pelikans due have a habit of reproducing under your nose.

Your size preferences precludes a lot of great pens. You're really left with a blue striated M600 or an M800 in blue striated or tortoise. Both are great pens but will run over your budget. You may be able to find an M600 in your price range but it will require some searching on the used market. Be warned, Pelikans due have a habit of reproducing under your nose.

:thumbup1:

Maybe I need to reconsider my size preferences. I'll be at the DC Pen Show in August and I'll have plenty of opportunity to fondle a wide variety of pens. I think I might hold on to my money until then and see how I feel about them. Thanks for the input, guys!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have similar size preferences and find the M600 to be ideal. It's a smooth writer, but might be a tad on the wet side - I'd recommend a fine.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pen size (barrel length), caps, fill knob, nib size. Pelikan 140 is one of my favorite pens, one of a couple which started me on my German collection. They were never offered in a tortoise and dark brown combo like the 400 unfortunately. Soon there will be one tortoise and black 140 ... stay tuned.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pen size (barrel length), caps, fill knob, nib size. Pelikan 140 is one of my favorite pens, one of a couple which started me on my German collection. They were never offered in a tortoise and dark brown combo like the 400 unfortunately. Soon there will be one tortoise and black 140 ... stay tuned.
Would the 400s be the longer of the two?

I'd offer to loan you my franken 140 but it is smaller than a M200.

I thought they would be too small but I found I love them best posted. (And boxed all my other pens.)

Top Bottom