What's new

Identifying a vintage Gillette razor

Hello,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate your help. Ages ago I acquired the razor pictured here, but I have since forgotten what model it is and how much it was. Can any of you please help with its name? Thank you.

$gillette.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, the name Aristocrat definitely rings a bell. I thought it was a model's name, but it is obviusly a line more than the name of a single razor. Thank you again.

It doesn't seem to have a code. The only thing it says, apart from logos etc, is "Pat Nos on Package" with package spelled out in full, on the inside.

By the way is the gold plating supposed to be real gold, or is it something that looks like gold?

It doesn't seem to have a code. The only thing it says, apart from logos etc, is "Pat Nos on Package" with package spelled out in full, on the inside.

By the way is the gold plating supposed to be real gold, or is it something that looks like gold?

Then it is a no date from '48-'50.

It is real gold and VERY thin. It appears to be in great condition, but be careful with what you clean it, and most of all, avoid polishing it.
Actually you can already see some nickel appearing. Gold plating is applied over nickel.

Thank you for your advice. I cleaned it when I bought it ages ago. It seems in good nick, yes. A bit of the gold's faded away unfortunately. I never use it though, I am still working on my technique with a Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic.

Thank you for your advice. I cleaned it when I bought it ages ago. It seems in good nick, yes. A bit of the gold's faded away unfortunately. I never use it though, I am still working on my technique with a Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic.

Don't be afraid to use it. After all, that is what it was made for! It is a mild/moderate razor (similar to the 34C in terms of aggressiveness). It's weight gives it a little extra "umph" compared to the Super Speeds from the same era.

Top Bottom