What's new

Best way to treat irritation?

Every now and then I'll get irritation on my neck. What's the best way to treat it?

After I shave I apply witch hazel, Nivea post shave balm then some Clubman. Is there any other way to treat irritation to help it cure faster? Maybe applying witch hazel or Nivea throughout the day?

About the only other thing to add to your post-shave mix is an alum bar. That's the first thing I use before witch hazel and nivea. No promises it will help with your case, but it's inexpensive and couldn't hurt to try.

Other than that, maybe a minor adjustment to your technique in those trouble spots.

The alum bar works great as an astringent and anti-bacterial treatment. Even better it stings a bit (but not too bad) when you've applied too much pressure while shaving or otherwise treated your skin bad!

My neck is my most sensitive area as well. And normally the alum block will let me know if I've aggravated my skin, even if its mild enough that I won't get razor burn. As such, it provides great feedback to your technique and equipment.

I've asked the same question and finally found something that works for me - Tend Skin. I used it for a week, twice a day, and it completely eliminated all traces of irritation that had been there for months. Its expensive (I got mine at Walgreens), and it works because basically its just alcohol and aspirin, which reduces inflammation. So after finishing the bottle, I mixed up my own batch with a little witch hazel added, which works just as well and for about 1/10 the cost. Give it a try.

I was thinking and alum block but I thought because I already use witch hazel that it would just do the same, am I wrong? I thought they were both astringents?

You are getting irritation on your neck because it's a sensitive area and it's an area that is really easy to use an improper shave angle with. If you slow down your shave and focus on your technique in this particular area you'll find you'll get less and less irritation. I did the same thing myself and my neck was the very last area that I got irritation as my technique improved. I rarely get any irritation now unless I rush a shave or do something stupid.

When I do get irritation:
If it is minor, then skip the splashes and apply a good quality shave balm to keep it moisturized and help it heal. I wouldn't worry about the witch hazel or alum as it'll just sting like hell and likely irritate it even more. I'm not a fan of the Nivea balm as it's nice but way too watered down for me. For an inexpensive ASB I much prefer the Neutrogema Razor Defense After Shave Lotion as it's not watered down, not too heavy and not greasy at all. You can get a version that has sunblock in it as well.

If you really tear yourself up then I recommend a product called The Cool Fix made by Shaveworks. This is precisely what this product is made for, ingrown hairs and razor burn. You can get it as Sephora or Ulta and they'll likely give you a small sample if you ask. I got a sample when I tore myself up and went back and bought a bottle the very next day. In my opinion it's really great stuff.

If you'd rather not spend the money on the Cool Fix then I'd recommend gently applying some aloe gel a few times a day and treat it like you would a sunburn.

Good luck.

+2 for the Shea Butter, I just use a thin coat for my final pass.
really is great skin conditioner and makes for a very smooth final pass.
Shea Moisture is the product line that I find work great, it has a variety of essential oils in it as well.
WalMart here use to carry it, but now I find it on Amazon or EBay...

Welcome Aboard; Read these links and see if this is something you may want to try.

http://www.amazon.com/Shea-Moisture-Butter-African-Black/dp/B00541OSRQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398322509&sr=8-3&keywords=Black+African+shaving+soap

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Think-I-Love-You?highlight=noxzema+I+love+you I alternate between the two products. They both work well in my pre-shave routine.

Just massage a small amount into my beard and add lather overtop. I follow the same procedure with the Black African Shaving Soap as the Noxzema. The black african soap doesn’t contain the eucalyptus smell like Noxzema.

Last edited:
The best way is to not get it in the first place.

Are you making sure your beard is fully hydrated before you start shaving? Not having your beard ready to shave is the biggest causes of irritation.

I get a little bit of irritation on the right side if my Adams Apple every now and again, and when I do I always use MWF for my next shave or two. I'm going to see if SWMBO has any shea butter next time though.

The best way is to not get it in the first place.

Are you making sure your beard is fully hydrated before you start shaving? Not having your beard ready to shave is the biggest causes of irritation.

My prep is always the same, shower, wash face in shower, let brush soak while in the shower, wet face, face lather.

If i'm getting irritation if it more likely that I'm using too much of an angle as oppose to too shallow of an angle?

I get the same thing. I use Thayer's witch hazel with aloe followed with Clubman. The redness typically goes away once dry and doesn't look all chawed up like when it's wet.

I have Aloe growing in pots my home and on my patio. I'll occasionally get irritation when I'm in a hurry and/or not focusing while shaving.
I split open a leaf and apply the raw Aloe Juice to the affected area maybe once or twice that day.
It cools and soothes immediately, and it's usually healed by the next day.
Pretty amazing, and the price is definitely right! :thumbup:

Every now and then I'll get irritation on my neck. What's the best way to treat it?

After I shave I apply witch hazel, Nivea post shave balm then some Clubman. Is there any other way to treat irritation to help it cure faster? Maybe applying witch hazel or Nivea throughout the day?
I always use some cold towel or ice.

I used to get the same thing for my first 2 shaves, then changed technique and didn't use any pressure. Just let the blade glide over the skin after proper preparation.

Alum 1-2 minutes. cold rinse off then Balm of your choice Nivea is good and so to is Proraso.

It should clear up in a few days.

Well that worked for me.

My prep is always the same, shower, wash face in shower, let brush soak while in the shower, wet face, face lather.

If i'm getting irritation if it more likely that I'm using too much of an angle as oppose to too shallow of an angle?

Could someone answer me this? If the blade angle is too shallow it just won't cut very close right? It wouldn't cause irritation?

Top Bottom