What's new

Cracked Scale Save

Blade came out fine, the pin was another story.
Tip broke off, split went straight through the pivot pin hole.

But - all was not lost. The razor is repinned and I'm just about done setting the bevel.

If you look close, you can see the crack. I did sand and polish the scales a bit so the line isn't readily visible.
After this pic was taken - I sanded the rust on the blade off and polished it a bit more too. Looks pretty good now.
It's a 6/8 B&S Hamburg Ring. Sheffield Steel but its from Solingen.

proxy.php

Looks great! Did you use epoxy or CA? I would be curious to know how it holds up after several shaves. Good work!

Crazy glue. Om felling good about the repair, I've pinned the blade in without hesitation, heated the scales to reshape them to get the blade to center, and set the bevel. The fix survived all of that just fine. Anything could happen down the road, but staying together after that much work tells me they'll be working well for a good long while. Hopefully. Lol.

Nice save and it sounds solid.
This has happened to me more times than I care to admit. Supremely frustrating.

Crazy glue. Om felling good about the repair, I've pinned the blade in without hesitation, heated the scales to reshape them to get the blade to center, and set the bevel. The fix survived all of that just fine. Anything could happen down the road, but staying together after that much work tells me they'll be working well for a good long while. Hopefully. Lol.

I have avoided the pivot point repairs for fear it wouldn't hold up. You have inspired me to give it a whirl.

With this save - the scale material has a lot to do with the success I think. Time will tell - even though I'm very positive about it lasting, it's still early in the game.
These scales were made of some kind of rubber or something like that. What I figured/hoped was that the Crazy Glue would melt the rubber a bit and the seam would be more of a weld. Seems that's what happened.
I'm not sure this would work with brittle substances ike Bakelite or hard Plastics.
It might though - testing is in order. I did a similar fix on horn, but it wasn't at the pivot pin hole. They held up fine though.

I kept a lot of pressure on the break/seam and held it for a while and let it sit for a day.
I used a postit behind the scale to keep glue off my fingers if it dripped, and a bunch did ooze out. I just sanded the bead of cured goop down flat and it seemed to be solid.

Top Bottom