What's new

Deadliest Catch

Hello gents, this is a thread for everything DEADLIEST CATCH! So, what did you think of this week's episode? Which boat is your favorite and why? What are your predictions for the season? Enjoy!

$Deadliest catch logo.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Been watching since the beginning. I enjoy the show. I like the Time Bandit the best cause they are all crazy fun and still about business. I predict the boats will I'll catch crab :tongue_sm

I've kept up with the show pretty much since the beginning. As for a favorite boat, I'm split between the Northwestern and the Time Bandit. I would have to give the edge to the Northwestern, simply because Sig runs a tight ship and seems to be one of the 'quiet professional' types.

I'm looking forward to *hopefully* seeing the Cornelia Marie back on the water during opilios; the current news has it that Josh Harris (Phil's eldest) bought the boat outright and is putting it back into service. I wonder what became of Jake though? If Josh aspires to be a captain, there are two things I think that they need to succeed: one, get a good captain on there. I don't think Josh is quite up to the task of being a successful captain just yet. If it were me, I'd pull out all the stops to try to get one of the Hillstrand (Andy or Johnathan) brothers on the boat as skipper. Get whichever one that isn't running the Time Bandit for that season.

Two, go into 'sponge' mode. Josh seems to know his way around the deck already, so I think he needs to spend his time in the wheelhouse and the engine room to learn all he can about the operation of the boat. Learn the engineer's job, learn the captain's job inside and out. Pick the captain's brain, milk it for all it's worth, bug the ever loving crap out of him. Do that for a little while, then he should be in good shape to take the captain's chair.

Slight addendum: I wasn't a big fan of Derrick Ray when he was running the boat, but he was put in a tough position to start. He was the captain, but two members of his crew (his nominal subordinates) were the boat's owners and as such, had enough standing to countermand his orders (which they did at times). There should never be a situation at sea where crew members can overrule the captain. Josh will have to resist that temptation.

I have had a hard time going back to the show since phil's death. I watched it from the beginning until...

Phil Harris was my favorite. I don't think the show has been the same since he died, but I still watch it. For some reason, I'm slightly interested in seeing how Sig's daughter Mandy does on the Northwestern.

I watched it regularly until the last year or so, but I did catch the premier and it got me hooked (no pun intended) again. I've always been partial to the Time Bandit and Northwestern. Phil was the best though, I agree it hasn't been the same since he passed.

I faded out after Phil's death. Might have to make an effort to pick up the show again. I like The Northwestern.

Agreed...Phill is the man! and he will be missed. I lost my dad at 27 (a couple years ago) my brothers and I know what the Harris boys are going through, and this show will never be the same. BUT, DC is still an amazing show. For those of you who stopped watching after Phil died...keep in mind that Josh Harris bought the Cornelia Marie outright and will be putting it is service this season. Can't wait to see that blue steel horse out there again. Cheers!

Yea I stopped watching after Phil died, but the other day I saw the behind the scenes recap which I though was pretty good. I'm going to watch this year again.

Do you guys know what happened to Phill's two boys? Are they still around?

Ok I have returned to the show, after watching the pre-show and the 2 hr special kick off I'm in again. I like the NW but Wild Bill is fun to watch as well. The wife and I will follow this season again. RIP Phill and Good luck to his Sons would like to see them carry on the legacy of Phill.

I'm not going to say it's been blah, but i'm waiting to see Mandy join the Northwestern and seeing that baby blue boat set some strings again, it's been far too long.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm not going to say it's been blah, but i'm waiting to see Mandy join the Northwestern and seeing that baby blue boat set some strings again, it's been far too long.
Same here. Waiting on that.

I wish they wouldn't focus so much on Elliot's personal life. It's making it to much of a drama for my liking.

Same here. Waiting on that.

I wish they wouldn't focus so much on Elliot's personal life. It's making it to much of a drama for my liking.

Yeah, this. It's kind of like the train wreck you just can't look away from though.

And what's up with the Wizard? Last I saw Monte was fishing out of bounds and I haven't seen them again unless I missed something.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah, this. It's kind of like the train wreck you just can't look away from though.

And what's up with the Wizard? Last I saw Monte was fishing out of bounds and I haven't seen them again unless I missed something.

I can look away. I understand they are showing all of it because it effects his boat and crew. But come on don't turn DC in to a daytime drama.

That's a good question about the wizard. I know they rail dumped the crap and moved the pots in bounds. But I don't remember anything else bout them.

I can look away. I understand they are showing all of it because it effects his boat and crew. But come on don't turn DC in to a daytime drama.

That's a good question about the wizard. I know they rail dumped the crap and moved the pots in bounds. But I don't remember anything else bout them.

I wonder if the voluntary rail dumping saved them from getting into too much trouble? Or if it was the camera crews?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I wonder if the voluntary rail dumping saved them from getting into too much trouble? Or if it was the camera crews?

On The Bait, Capt. Keith said because Monte voluntarily turned himself in the boat wasn't fined. Just received a warning. And that every boat has tracking devices (yes plural) that shows it's location to the coast guard and fish & game.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Sig puts the 'fear of God' into his crew when she gets onboard the Northwestern. I think it was on an episode of 'The Bait' where Sig expressed his reluctance to bring her onboard and Johnathan immediately piped up and offered to bring her onto his boat instead. Sig cut that line of thinking real quick.

Johnathan later said that if she went onto a boat other than the Northwestern, she'd come back pregnant...no two ways about it.

Top Bottom