What's new

First shave with a Feather today

Good day gents:

Been DE shaving for almost a month now. Technique has improved enough that I broke out the first Feather from my sampler pack today.

I took extra care to prep well, then went at it very slowly and carefully. Only damage was a small weeper on a problem area of my neck. Overall, the shave was good, no irritation at all. But the shave wasn't as close as I expected it to be with this blade. It about equalled what I've achieved with an Astra SS with no extra touch ups, etc.

My question is this: should I continue the search for "my" blade as my technique continues to evolve and revisit the Feather again later on down the line? Or cross the Feather off the list of "potentials" since I'm getting close, comfortable shaves with a milder blade?

I realize it's largely YMMV, but as always, all comments are welcome.

Thanks guys,
Rob

The feathers are good blades but I didnt find they wowed me at all. Sharp yes....but they dont last many shaves. I would cross it off and keep searching. I liked the Personna Med Prep and Gillette Silver Blue's best so far. And I am a fan of the Astra's as well.

***just realized you lived in Nova Scotia as well!!

Definitely come back to them. In a few months, you may enjoy them! I'm sitting on a box of Med Prep right now, waiting to give them another go. Feathers have been for me, but every face is different.

I found I didn't have enough command of technique at 6 months in to have a great handle on Feathers.
Never say never to any blade.

The feathers are good blades but I didnt find they wowed me at all. Sharp yes....but they dont last many shaves. I would cross it off and keep searching. I liked the Personna Med Prep and Gillette Silver Blue's best so far. And I am a fan of the Astra's as well.

Every day I'm noticing there's more of us here. GO MOOSE GO!!!

I've actually only used Feather blades so far. I learned with them and haven't experienced any irritation and only one small cut. I was surprised to see the posts warning new shavers to stay clear of feathers for a while. I've had no issues with them and it will take something impressive to steer me away from them. I have a sample pack inbound so we'll see how it goes.

My best experiences were with Astras and Gillette 7 o'clocks until I finally tried a feather. Now feathers are my go to. I still try out other blades now and then, but find myself still using feathers most of the time.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
In my experience, one shave with any razor/blade combo does not predict future results. I go at least a week; Longer is even better, changing blade as necessary.

Last edited:
+1 on this. For me so far (3 months in), it is the Gillette Silver Blues, but I have several others yet to try.

I had the same thing with Astras, seemed to sharp for my skill level at the start. I've just revisited them after not using them for 4 weeks and I got a great shave with one this morning. I would vote to revisit them later on.

I had the same thing with Astras, seemed to sharp for my skill level at the start. I've just revisited them after not using them for 4 weeks and I got a great shave with one this morning. I would vote to revisit them later on.

After a few years of just using sample packs I just committed to a 100pack of Astra SP's! I think they are great

I've came to the conclusion that the first shave is mediocre with a new blade, but after that it seems like shaves 2-3 are great shaves. I love feathers, but my go to is definitely the polsilver SI's right now. I definitely want to give personna's a go I need to find a sampler with them in it.

I've came to the conclusion that the first shave is mediocre with a new blade, but after that it seems like shaves 2-3 are great shaves.

I'd recommend trying it at least once more. For some reason, Feathers often seem much better on the 2nd or 3rd shave.

+1

As of right now, Feathers are my favorite blades. I've also been using Personna Med-Preps, Astras and Derbys. I've gotten good shaves with the latter, and try to use them the majority of the time based on cost per blade(I've been tracking how much I've been spending since joining B&B, and want to try to keep it as low as reasonable.)

+1

As of right now, Feathers are my favorite blades. I've also been using Personna Med-Preps, Astras and Derbys. I've gotten good shaves with the latter, and try to use them the majority of the time based on cost per blade(I've been tracking how much I've been spending since joining B&B, and want to try to keep it as low as reasonable.)

A GM I see?

In my experience, one shave with any razor/blade combo does not predict future results. I go at least a week; Longer is even better, changing blade as necessary.

+1 True.
There may be some initial impressions but that may change, sometimes significantly with repeated use.
I also don’t like to make any final determination until I’ve at least emptied a pack of blades and tried it in at least 3 or 4 different razors.

I started with Feathers and haven't used anything else. They work perfectly for me and I great tremendous shaves from all my razors. I never feared them. Everyone is different. Try different stuff if you feel the need.

Top Bottom