What's new

Looking to upgrade

I only have two DE razors, an MR10 from Maggard Razors and a 1925 Gillette Milady Decollette which I purchased to be used as a travel razor. I really enjoy the MR10, and I find the Milady to be a bit aggressive. I've heard that the Maggard DEs outperform razors twice the price or more. Part of me always wants something bigger and better, so I wanted to see if there was something out there that might perform really well, regardless of price. Anybody have suggestions on where to start?

If you're looking for a mild razor, I'd suggest a Merkur 38C or Merkur Progress. These are the only 2 Merks I have so they are the only Merks I can suggest. The Progress is an adjustable so you can have a real mild razor or a real aggressive razor. I'm sure others here will chime in with other Merk products. Another avenue could be a vintage Gillette Super Speed...mild and comfy. I also have a couple of Open Combs (Cadet and Fatip Grande) which I really don't like. Very aggresive and Super aggressive respectively but that's my opinion. i'm hanging on to them to try them again at a later date so I can make a fair judgment. Maybe my technique sucks and maybe that's the reason these razors seem so aggressive and unforgiving to me. As always, your mileage may vary

If you want the best of both worlds, mild/aggressive, then I would like to suggest a vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable. They look classy and the performance is outstanding. You can adjust from mild to aggressive in a few clicks of the dial. And a Slim will last you forever.

If you want the best of both worlds, mild/aggressive, then I would like to suggest a vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable. They look classy and the performance is outstanding. You can adjust from mild to aggressive in a few clicks of the dial. And a Slim will last you forever.

+1. The Slim would be a good place to start. Great razor that can be adjusted.

If price isn't an issue then I would suggest looking at a stainless steel razor. Above the Tie makes a wonderful product with a first class, no questions asked guarantee. They are machined from 303 stainless steel and will last several lifetimes. The fit and finish is flawless and the heft and balance is also perfect. They offer six different base plates, three safety bar and three open comb designs that offer varying levels of aggression. They also currently have three different handle lengths with gorgeous knurling that is very grippy. I haven't shaved with another razor since I bought my Atlas M2 and I can't see why I ever would.

Jereme, as i understand it, Maggard MR series razors are patterned after the Edwin Jagger 89. They are designed to provide a less expensive razor that allows new wet shavers to get into wet shaving at a low price point. i don't own a Maggard, but I have read only glowing comments on their performance.

If you are looking for an upgrade in terms of quality, but with a similar shave to your Maggard, one of the EJ89 family of razors is the way to go. The build quality, particularly the chrome finish is top tier. Additional razors to try would be the all stainless Steel Weber Polished Head and a Merkur 34 HD. The Weber would be slightly more aggressive than the EJ89, and the Merkur would be slightly more aggressive than the Weber.

I'll add a big plus one to the Gillette Slim's.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you add to your collection.

Don't discount something new, the couple RazoRock razors I have have beautiful finishes and shave great, The Mission is mild and the Jaws to me is pretty aggressive. You can grab both for $35-40 from Amazon.

I'd suggest a Gillette '04. Nice piece of history, nice shave.
+1 or any vintage Gillette Open Comb razor. They are plentiful and very reasonably priced. Buy a user grade sample and, if you like it, have it replated. If you don't like it, they're easy to sell for just about what you paid for it.

The RazoRock Mission is a great performer at an even better price. It has a very good heft to it and will provide great shaves.

However, I think that the best value for current production razor out there right now is the Parker 26C (or 24C - same razor with a chrome handle instead of black). For $30 you get a brand new, well constructed, hefty razor that provides very close shaves. It is very efficient at cutting whiskers, but at the same time very smooth and easy to use. Check this THREAD for some more information on it.

Ok, so I got quite a few recommendations for Gillette Slims. They don't appear to be too expensive on ebay, so that might be a go for me. The Above the Tie mention has me intrigues, so I think I'm gonna googlefu that to get some more info. I had considered a Parker in the past, but a lot of people on /r/wicked_edge have mentioned that they prefer the maggards and EJ's over them. And I wasn't even aware that RazoRock made razors. They were the first shave soap that I really enjoyed, so I might look into them for a razor as well. So many choices, but at least I've narrowed it down a bit!

... The Above the Tie mention has me intrigues, so I think I'm gonna googlefu that to get some more info. I had considered a Parker in the past, but a lot of people on /r/wicked_edge have mentioned that they prefer the maggards and EJ's over them...
The ATT is one of my holy grail razors and will stay that way because of the cost until some generous relative decides to buy one for me. Re: the Parkers, I think that was true until the recent introduction of the 26c and 24c open comb razors, with which they appear to have upped their game considerably. The new Parker open comb razors have been getting a lot of love around here, so much so that I bought my son a 26c for Easter. I'm waiting to hear back from him...

Ok, so I got quite a few recommendations for Gillette Slims. They don't appear to be too expensive on ebay, so that might be a go for me. The Above the Tie mention has me intrigues, so I think I'm gonna googlefu that to get some more info. I had considered a Parker in the past, but a lot of people on /r/wicked_edge have mentioned that they prefer the maggards and EJ's over them. And I wasn't even aware that RazoRock made razors. They were the first shave soap that I really enjoyed, so I might look into them for a razor as well. So many choices, but at least I've narrowed it down a bit!

As is always the case, when one asks a "what should I buy..." question, you've ended up with perhaps more choices that you started out with. :001_smile

To give you a little more context. Gillette Slims are really 1960's era razors made of nickel coated, brass. Even though there are some internal mechanics, they are rock solid razors and great shavers.

Parker is an Indian manufactured razor (like most many contemporary brands today) that is imported into the US by an American. Initially they were hit or miss quality and leaned towards the aggressive to very aggressive side. In my five years wet shaving they have continuously worked to improve their razors. Recently they have come out with two open comb razors, the 24c and 26c which have received very good reviews as mild open comb razors. (I own the Parker 24C and agree that it's a fine razor).

RazoRock is the house brand of Italian Barber. Both companies are owned by two brothers in Ontario are very highly regarded. There razors are also Indian manufactured and sold by other vendors under the name Cadet or Pearl. They have a fine reputation as very good budget quality razors. They are more aggressive than Parker 24/26's. More recently RazoRock has released the Mission razor, which reportedly is somewhat milder than the earlier RazoRock razors.

IMO, you can't go wrong buying any of these razors. In fact at the inexpensive price of these razors, you may end up owning more than one.:thumbup:

IMO, you can't go wrong buying any of these razors. In fact at the inexpensive price of these razors, you may end up owning more than one.:thumbup:

Yes, I can definitely see this in the near future!

Top Bottom