What's new

T. Noonan & Co "Modock Hone" pic heavy

Pretty sure this is the best deal I've hit on the bay to date...Seems like a nice high quality thuringen and snagged it bin for $42 shipped
Box
$uploadfromtaptalk1398295902731.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1398295925627.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1398296016224.jpg
With Slurry
$uploadfromtaptalk1398296092614.jpg
Dry
$uploadfromtaptalk1398296141108.jpg

Sadly its missing the slurry stone, it has a heavy brass base as well that makes your hands stink like pennies but otherwise I love it!

First thuringian I've owned....feedback please!

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice score! Can you post a pic of the sides and maybe the end of the stone?

David

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Man, that brass base is really cool. It looks thuri...but it's always hard to tell from pictures. Whatever it is its very neat

Yeah I was eying that. Made him an offer and he counteroffered but you bought it before I got the email. His pics were horrid (I wasn't even sure which side was the stone and which was the base... he had one pic of the stone and two of the bottom of the base), but seeing yours it's clearly not an easy stone to photograph. It could be a thuri (that's what I was offering based on, figured it was a gamble with a slim chance it'd be a thuri). Whether it is or isn't, cool stone, much larger than I expected from the pics.

The sides are tough to tell much from. Those white flecks you see in your first side picture always suggest synthetic to me. I see those and usually suspect airpockets from the mold with slurry dried in them. But, they could be an effect of some finishing method used, I suppose.

Your lighting in the surface pictures seems very harsh, or else the stone is highly reflective. If you could take some pictures in softer light, natural light, or with the light not directly on the stone, we could perhaps see it a bit better.

In any case, very interesting hone. The test will be how well it finishes.

Last edited:
White flecks are dried slurry, which is very white, it is definitely a natural stone... sec ill get some more pics...yeah its very reflective

OK here it is again with longer exposure time and flash at a different angle...can see the natural color shifts a bit better. I touched up my W&B and it improved an amazing amount...I'm kinda in awe at the edge...lapped off some patina to try and get a better picture....stone is very flat already

Considering the size based on the measurements the seller posted I figured it was a very worthy gamble.

$uploadfromtaptalk1398310775458.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1398310760345.jpg

Last edited:
That side does look much more in line with what I'm used to seeing from thuris and similar stones. Up till this post I thought it was less likely the stone was a Thuri than I had when I saw the listing, now I think it's more likely. I still suspect it's something else, but I can't offer you any better suggestions, nor can I say any definitive reason why it can't be a Thuri.
I PM'ed you some more detailed opinions and a few questions. Whether it's a Thuri or not, I think you got a great deal on it. Looks like a really interesting hone.

Hey Dennis, iam not shure though about the thuringian thing, shurely a nice stone but just from looking at the pics thats not my vote...any Sawmarks visible on the sides ? Can you make a detail shot of the corner where a part is broken out or its due to natural structure (Schist) ?

You should compare it to the one you will get....having then both stones together it might be better for you personal to come to a conclusion...having two turingians in your own hand you will be able to identify....

Last edited:
Better pics...used wet dry to expose the middle side under the old patina definitely looks like layering of colors there, as far as saw marks I can't see any other than scratches parallel to the hone top.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1398339702352.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1398339702352.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 97
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1398339716013.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1398339716013.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 94
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1398339727125.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1398339727125.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 93
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1398339736780.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1398339736780.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 94
Also forgot to mention, there are a few small redish-brown dots on the surface, not many, not sure if thats a clue either

Are the red dots flush with the surface? They look like they could be little areas that have flaked out. Their color looks similar to the color in the flaked out portion of the bottom of the stone.

At any rate, very cool stone! I appreciate the base though I wouldn't be particularly excited about the "penny smell". Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom