What's new

New member with a question.

Hi all, my name is Jerry and I'm from Whitecourt, Ab. Just recently discovered the joys of classic wet shaving, I was remembering my Grandfather whipping up a thick rich lather in his mug and thought I would like to do the same. I got me some soap and some cream and a nice badger brush, I've tried it a few times and I'm sold on the idea that it is of better quality and it's better for your skin than what comes from a can. Just a couple quick questions, do most guys leave their soap in the mug and if you do, do you rinse off all the leftover lather when you are done or leave it there for the next shave? Thanks!

You want to take good care of your brush so that it will last. Clean the soap out of it, squeeze the water out of it, and let it air dry. I wouldn't waste my time on cleaning the soap. After all, the residue is still soap.

You want to take good care of your brush so that it will last. Clean the soap out of it, squeeze the water out of it, and let it air dry. I wouldn't waste my time on cleaning the soap. After all, the residue is still soap.

I think this is what the OP asked, but maybe I misunderstood. He never mentioned a brush, and I believe he knows a brush should be rinsed thoroughly after use.
I don't rinse the soaps either, but I also don't lather on the puck, I just load the brush and face lather.

Welcome to B&B!

Seamus, are you building your lather in the same mug where you keep your puck of soap (it sort of sounds like that)? I think most of us who build our lather in bowls/mugs/scuttles keep the soap in a separate container, load the brush from the soap, and then build the lather in a different bowl/mug/scuttle. Then I think the majority leaves the soap puck as is, rinses the bowl/mug/scuttle, rinses the brush until all of the soap has been removed, and lets the brush air dry. Does that help?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Should have been a little more specific it seems but no problem. I have been rinsing my brush and mug, I was just curious what others are doing because I read elsewhere of guys leaving their soap in the mug. I just finished ordering an apothecary style shaving mug so for now I am leaving the soap in the container because I have been using both soap and cream. I'm using one of the wifes onion soup bowls until my new one arrives haha, but it works well because its wide and fairly shallow plus it has a handle on it.

Welcome aboard, you are in the right place!
I leave it in there for the next shave, sometimes there's enough "leftovers" to take out the puck, and lather up with just the leftovers...:thumbup1:

Hello and welcome. I scrape any excess lather back into the soap mug then rinse my brush out completely. I figure soap is soap, so why not put the unused lather back where it came from and use it next time.

Top Bottom