What's new

Shaving Soap/Cream Recommendations

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot but I figured I would throw it out there since looking through all of the posts has me bewildered. I started DE shaving several weeks ago. I have been using an EJ DE89 with Astra SP blades C&E Nomad soap. I've always (pre-DE shaving) had some irritation on my lower neck. I seem to be doing better with that by mapping out the hair growth pattern. Can anyone recommend the next cream/soap I should get? I'm looking for something that is easy to lather with hard water (live in southwest Ohio where we sit on top of limestone bedrock).

Thanks!

I don't know how they perform in hard water because I have a water softener but Proraso creams (green, red, blue) or its equivalent, C.O. Bigelo are very easy latherers.

Proraso white lathers up easily. So does the Synergy/HTGAM line. But I'd probably go slightly off the board and grab either a full puck from Petal Pusher Fancies or a bunch of samples from Sterling. The Sterling samples are a great value and allow you to try a bunch of different types for not much $. You're almost certain to find a flavor that you really like.

With all that said, no soap is going to help much more than any other with neck irritation, assuming your prep is good. That's mostly an issue of technique.

Welcome to B&B.

+1 on Proraso. All of them lather very easily and have decent, not-overpowering fragrances. The price is reasonable ($7- $8 per tube on Amazon), so if you don't like them, you haven't lost a lot.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I would recommend Cella or Tabac soap and any of the TOBS creams. They are quite good and relatively inexpensive.

Welcome to B&B.

+1 on Proraso. All of them lather very easily and have decent, not-overpowering fragrances. The price is reasonable ($7- $8 per tube on Amazon), so if you don't like them, you haven't lost a lot.

+2 for proraso! One of my favorite quick lather croaps.
Recommend you get the tub from amazon. If you're not into that, you can get a tube of CO Bigelow from Bath and Body Works - made by proraso!

Arko lathers readily in even the hardest water and performs great. The scent is love it or hate it...I love it. If you prefer pucks you can just shove the stick into a bowl until it's puck-shaped, it's soft.

Tabac! -- If you don't like the smell of baby powder, avoid it. It's a top performer!
Arko -- Cheap, another great performer, smells like ivory soap w/ citrus
Van Der Hagen Deluxe -- Dirt cheap, available locally, pretty lightly scented, works great and leaves your face feeling moisturized.

Any of the Proraso line....tub or tube are absolutely tops IMO....rich, thick, slick lather that is easily made and all the while being very affordable (if not just down right cheap!)...but for me, the Proraso Blue cream in the tube is my favorite shave soap of any soap or cream I've tried...period

The easiest cream I started using was TOBS. And as everybody said proraso is easy to lather. The best cream for next to no money is Palmolive Classic.

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot but I figured I would throw it out there since looking through all of the posts has me bewildered. I started DE shaving several weeks ago. I have been using an EJ DE89 with Astra SP blades C&E Nomad soap. I've always (pre-DE shaving) had some irritation on my lower neck. I seem to be doing better with that by mapping out the hair growth pattern. Can anyone recommend the next cream/soap I should get? I'm looking for something that is easy to lather with hard water (live in southwest Ohio where we sit on top of limestone bedrock).

Thanks!

Welcome, i would check out what our resident Shave cream and soap experts would say at the B&B Shave/soap cream forums http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/3-Shaving-Soaps

Check out Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap. Great performing soap, inexpensive, and excellent customer service.

Top Bottom