What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat

Should every wet shaver try this soap?

I have never tried this soap and I have read and heard its hard to lather.

What do you guys think?

This was the second soap that I tried. From my experience with it, if you take your time building a lather, adding water slowly and paying attention to how it's developing, the payoff is great. Our water here is a bit hard, too. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

I'll also throw in that Pre de Provence is another great soap I think every shave should at least consider trying. The scent may not be the best, but the performance is great. (This was my first soap, so I'm a bit partial to it)

Mitchells is the soap I use almost everyday. It works great for me and is the best soap I've tried so far. The face feel after a shave is like no other. Pre de Provence is also a nice soap. I find the scent very pleasant and it too leaves my skin very moisturized. MWF is by far my favorite.

"Supersticking"

I apply Arko stick to my face, then load the brush with MWF.
Thickest, wettest, smoothest lather on the planet. One application loads enough on my face and brush for face and head without going back to the bowl.

And I have hard water.

MWF by itself? It is picky. A brush with a decent backbone is needed, and it takes a fair amount of water.
Even at that, I have issues with it drying out mid-shave if I am not shaving in the shower.... little flakes fall off like it is snowing.
The fat LOVES water.

Thanks great feedback. I've been on the fence about buying this soap
Go for it. MWF is certainly one of the better products, but that doesn't make it a must try. To me it's a "must try" because it just doesn't feel like other soaps. It's has this slick fluffy comforting feel unlike anything I've tried. I've like DH Harris and Barrister and Mann just as well, but they don't feel like the FAT.

Unless you have hard water, you'll get the hang of lathering it quickly. But the best short cut is the learning curve is following all 7 suggestions by shaving guru Mantiac. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGLi_m9n_s. Personally, soaking the puck made a huge difference.

This is also my daily soap now. Tabac was the first but I like the Fat more. I had nowhere near any of the lathering problems I've read about here. In fact I've had the opposite effects. Plus my daughters and fiance love my "flowers" smell.

during a shave i get an uncomfortable itching from mfw. i believe it's from the fragrance since i never notice anything when using other soaps with lanolin.

Ok, its a legend in wet shaving. So what? There are many other soaps out there by far better than MWF. Yes, I always keep a puck in my den to use it from time to time, not because it excels in lather-ability and protection, but because i like the fragrance!

"Supersticking"

I apply Arko stick to my face, then load the brush with MWF.
Thickest, wettest, smoothest lather on the planet. One application loads enough on my face and brush for face and head without going back to the bowl.

And I have hard water.

This is a very interesting idea, I may have to try it.

Given how much press it gets in wet shaving circles, I would say, yes, you should try it. You may be one of many who find it to be the best soap that they have used. That was how I felt before I bought a puck and gave it a try. I use it occasionally, but I haven't found it to be exceptional in any way. Of the seven soaps that I am currently using , it is my least favorite. For reference, the others (in no particular order) are: D.R. Harris Windsor, RazoRock Son of Zeus, Wet Shave Obsession Zaro, Haslinger Schafmilch, and Saint Charles Shave Very V and Old Spice.

I waited a while to try MWF - and thats the only thing I regret about my association with MWF. For me - it's one of my best performers that is also extremely cost effective (esp if you buy from UK).

I never had any trouble lathering it. But many do have trouble with MWF and it is widely believed that hard water is the culprit. If you have soft water - I strongly recommend it.

MWF works fine for me (I have fairly hard water) if I use it like a shave stick and apply a lot of it, then gradually add water. Otherwise I'm among the many who get iffy results from it, no matter what method I use. I really like PdP, though I have to load it for nearly two minutes. Both of these soaps perform much better for me when I travel to soft water places. I don't have any such problems with my 30 or so other soaps.

Go for it. MWF is certainly one of the better products, but that doesn't make it a must try. To me it's a "must try" because it just doesn't feel like other soaps. It's has this slick fluffy comforting feel unlike anything I've tried. I've like DH Harris and Barrister and Mann just as well, but they don't feel like the FAT.

Unless you have hard water, you'll get the hang of lathering it quickly. But the best short cut is the learning curve is following all 7 suggestions by shaving guru Mantiac. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGLi_m9n_s. Personally, soaking the puck made a huge difference.

+1

I've found soaking the puck and upside-down loading to work well. No problems for me lathering it with my boar, I even used a silvertip the other day and had great results.

Soaking the puck and upside-down loading is the best way for me to build lather well with MWF. However I live in Phoenix, AZ and to say we have hard water is an understatement.

Top Bottom