What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat

Get it for sure, soak it for a few minutes than hit it with a boar brush with some very swift swirls, then hit the face, dipping the tips of the brush in water a few times during face lathering. Works for me!

It produces great lather with enough experimentation and work. There are soaps that outperform it for me, so it's not worth the work to me. I rarely use it. Haslinger Schafmilch sounds superior if you look at most opinions on here.

Don't skip this soap. I've used it from LA to NY and have always dialled in great lathers. I'd say it does require a bit more skill to lather than other soaps, but it's my personal top performer.

I haven't yet tried MWF but I like Stirling Scots Pine, which is a sheep soap with lanolin and sheep tallow. Have any of you tried both, and if so how do you think they compare?

I recommend it for sure. Today I shaved with it and was amazed on the amount of lather it produced, much more than with any other soap, and very protective as well. I do also love the scent, not very intrusive. Nonetheless, it is a soap that behaves different than the rest. So, do not expect something similar to what you already have in your shave den because it is just different (at least IMHO).

Yes, you must. You are denying yourself one of life's pleasures.

Absolutely. Is it the best soap on the face of the planet? I don't know, I haven't tried them all. But it is the best soap for MY face! I can't imaging NOT having it in my den. I love this stuff and with the right technique, it is flawless. The lather may not be as pretty as with DR Harris, Tabac, or others. But the performance speaks for itself. You owe it to yourself to at least try it.

Try it. It absolutely blows my mind when I read all of these stories about trouble lathering this or that soap. I've never had any problem getting a good lather from any soap; you guys just aren't doing it right! My guess is that most lathering problems stem from not using a wet enough brush and not spending enough time loading on the puck. Disclaimer: I don't have hard water, and I'm sure that can make a difference. As for MWF, it's probably my favorite single soap, and it lathers like a dream for me, leaves the face feeling incredibly soft, and has the perfect mild scent.

Try it. It absolutely blows my mind when I read all of these stories about trouble lathering this or that soap. I've never had any problem getting a good lather from any soap; you guys just aren't doing it right! My guess is that most lathering problems stem from not using a wet enough brush and not spending enough time loading on the puck. Disclaimer: I don't have hard water, and I'm sure that can make a difference. As for MWF, it's probably my favorite single soap, and it lathers like a dream for me, leaves the face feeling incredibly soft, and has the perfect mild scent.
MWF leaves my face feeling a way that no other soap does. I had some issues getting a really good lather from it at first, but now I have it down to a science and it is perfect every time. DA FAT will always be in my rotation.

Should every wet shaver try this soap?

I have never tried this soap and I have read and heard its hard to lather.

What do you guys think?

Yes, you should try this even just for the experience. When you do try it, kep at it and use it for a week - that should give you enough time to get to know the soap and it's product/water ratio.

At the very least you will have lived to tell the tale AND have an opinion on the soap! I think you'll love it anyway!

It will always be in my rotation. I leave a bit of extra water in the brush, load a little longer than some other soaps but always get a great lather. Post shave can't be matched.

MWF leaves my face feeling a way that no other soap does. DA FAT will always be in my rotation.

I'm also amazed at how good my face feels after using MWF. In the past shaving had always given me pretty serious problems with dry skin, which I'm sure was partly responsible for well over a decade of wearing a beard. Rather than knowing other options were available, I pretty much gave up on shaving, until I found the friendly and informative mountain of knowledge here on B&B. Thanks so much to everyone for making this site what it is.

Anyways, I'm already thinking about stocking up on MWF to make sure I don't run out for a while. There are all of the other soaps/creams that I've picked up along the way that I'll have to fit in somewhere, because I still like those, too. MWF has, however, earned a permanent place in my den, that's for sure.

Not only should you try it but it is a MUST HAVE for anyone who enjoys shaving.

I face lather with the fat and always have fantastic billowing lather from it.

It was the first soap I bought (started with TOBS cream), and I was wondering if it was a mistake. It quickly became my default lather. Works great with glycerin and your favorite cream for some really great uberlather!

I have never had an issue with MWF. It's a great soap that seems to last longer than the typical terminator soaps. I don't know why it gets a bad rep concerning latherability. The people who say that probably are using super fine Silver Tips and have weak wrists :laugh:

Top Bottom